The Education Forum

Which car is the one for the getaway?

Ed LeDoux

I have always thought that a getaway car (Oldsmobile wagon?)parked along the side of the TSBD and was the only one there as the traffic cops would not let people park there. Yet in this photo there are not one, not two, but three parked there. Which is the older gentlemans that the cop talked too and let him stay there? I thought a Rambler was also in that area. Are either correct?

Edited by Ed LeDoux

Ed....I can't see your photo, so I don't know if it's the same Ramber you're looking for, but the Murray photo taken at the corner of Elm and Houston (the DalTex building is in the background) taken a couple of minutes after the assassinaltion shows a white, or light colored Ramber American station wagon in back of two grieving women.

murray11.jpg

JWK

Edited by J. William King

Ed....I can't see your photo, so I don't know if it's the same Ramber you're looking for, but the Murray photo taken at the corner of Elm and Houston (the DalTex building is in the background) taken a couple of minutes after the assassinaltion shows a white, or light colored Ramber American station wagon in back of two grieving women.

murray11.jpg

JWK

Sorry, it double posted and in trying to delete the other post I forgot to reload the image.

This is not the Murray 12:35 photo but shows the Houston/East side of the TSBD and 3 vehicles parked along side of it. If you recall some of the witnesses said there was a wagon (Oldsmobile?) parked there with a gentleman who was sitting in it and was aproached by a traffic officer. The officer went back to his dutys on the corner. Was not the witness Brennan?

Then there is the story of a rambler showing up in another photo (not murray) which when viewing the TSBD one can follow the edge of the bldg down to the street and there near the corner is a "Rambler"...

Just have always thought due to these witness stories that only a Olds wagon or Rambler would show up along side the TSBD in photos, yet here are what appears to be 3 sedans.

At the very least it is an example of how bad a witness Brennan was.

Quotes of Howard Leslie Brennan:

“At that time there was a side entrance towards the rear of the building on Houston Street. At some point during the morning hours, the police had sealed off parking in that block and forced all cars to move. Saw horses were placed on Elm and Houston to block traffic. As I looked around I saw a lone car parked beside the Book Depository with a white male seated behind the wheel. The car was an Oldsmobile, a 1955-57 model. It is difficult to tell the exact year unless one is an expert because all those years looked nearly alike. I remember wondering why all the other cars had been made to move and this one had not. I didn’t have the chance to study the driver carefully but he was wearing civilian clothes and appeared to be middle aged.”

“One thing that interested me about the car was the way it was parked. The front left wheel was pulled sharply away from the curb and the driver had the door partially open. Later I wondered if the reason for this was so the car could make a quick U-turn in a speedy departure. As I was watching the man in the car I saw a policeman who was on foot walk over towards the car and begin talking to the man in a friendly, laughing manner. So far as I could see, there was no attempt to get the man to move the car and after chatting for a minute or so, the policeman walked back to his post. It was this fact that made me think the police should have made some report about the presence of the car, but I have never seen any other account of this ‘mystery car.’”

“The car I had seen PARKED there before the motorcade passed WAS GONE. Although only a few moments had elapsed and all exits were blocked except one, the car had disappeared. The policeman who had been talking to the driver was gone, but I assumed he was looking for the gunman.”

“Who was the man sitting behind the wheel that day?”

“if it was a ‘get-away’ car, why didn’t it wait to pick up the killer? Was it possible that he was being left on purpose?”

“Howard did not report the presence of the car beside the Book Depository Building initially because he did not make an association. Subsequent to that time he had already made a formal statement and probably realized that to insert this new item might cast some doubt on his testimony. In retrospect, he acknowledged he probably should have reported it, but he wanted to be sure his testimony would stand since it was critical.”

Brennan is full of beans as seen in the picture I've posted there are 3, not 1 or 2, but three, 3, trois, tres, III CARS next to the bldg.