The Education Forum

What would the mods and members think of setting up a utility for members to make voluntary donations to the forum?

Guest John Woods
I pretty much said it in the Topic fields.

Would the mods be open to accepting donations to help defray the cost of running this forum?

Ideally it would accept paypal, so it'd be easy to donate.

John,

Should you need assistance please let us know.

johnw

I think: Certainly not for moderators.

But the idea of of option that those who can, supporting the forum through some trust administered by Andy, contributing so that the forum can get the best security options and bandwidth so that it remains available to the world, by all means. IE not to ANY person in ANY way whatsoever, and not for any benefit of the donator in ANY way other than knowing anonymously (as far as the Forum admin is concerned, if people want to advertise their contributions themselves, that's their business) he/she contributes for the benefit of others, yes.

Hi Myra,

This is a question, which in my opinion, would be best directed to the Forum Administrators; Andy Walker and John Simkin. They run the Forum at their own expense.

The moderators (as far as I know) have no part in the financing aspect. In the past John Simkin has declined the offers/suggestions of setting up any membership fee type arrangements to cover the expenses of the Forum. Perhaps a PM to Andy and John would be in place, if you wish to pursue this thought. Who knows, their minds may have changed in this respect.

Kind regards,

Antti

Guest Stephen Turner

Would the mods be open to accepting donations to help defray the cost of running this forum?

Myra, John and Andy's take on this has always been that they want to keep the Forum non-contributary (in a financial sence )for members. Nice idea though. Steve.

Originally this forum was funded by BECTA. When they withdrew their support we tried using Google ads - these worked for a while but were sabotaged by an unknown user and google threw us out of the scheme.

John's business Spartacus has funded the forum for the last couple of years and I use the small amout of revenue generated by the Ask.com advert and school supplies advert at the top to pay for emergencies like extra bandwidth, disk space etc in any given month.

It would be relatively easy to set up the facility suggested and its a nice idea. However I don't really think its necessary at the moment

Thanks for the offer but as Andy points out it is not necessary yet. However, it might be needed if Les Albiston carries out his threat to sue the forum.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9029

Thanks for the offer but as Andy points out it is not necessary yet. However, it might be needed if Les Albiston carries out his threat to sue the forum.

People are just queuing up to sue you John.

Well, thanks everyone for the input. I just wanted to propose it.

Along with many other forum members, I really haven't wanted to get involved in a topic I know little about, but if Mr Albiston doesn't want an international campaign on his hands he'd be well advised not to sue this forum.

Like most of the other forum members, I imagine, I'm more interested in catching bigger fish.

But we do like posting to this forum - and would be 'disappointed' if it was thrown into turmoil for no good reason.