The Education Forum

Charles Harrelson dies

Charles Harrelson died in the early hours of the morning due to a heart attack. Harrelson is the father of actor Woody Harrelson and is suspected of being one of the three tramps arrested near Dealey Plaza following the Kennedy assassination.

I have been working on a presentation on Harrelson for this weekends Caterbury Seminars for Dealey Plaza UK. In my presentation I was going to share a small piece of information that, if fully researched, could prove Harrelson's innocence in the murder of Judge John Wood. I have, in the past, corresponded with Harrelson a few years ago with regard to the assassination. I had intended to contact Harrelson again, but now I will not have the chance.

My research into Harrelson will cntinue much as it has, as Harrelson was not particularly open in his letters. One wonders what secrets Harrelson took to the grave with him. One also wonders whether Harrelson left any secrets with his attorneys as so many of his ilk have done.

I can not help but be saddened at his death, though he was a murderer and a con-man. I will post up a type up of my Canterbury presentation for others to read. My presentation on Harrelson from a few yeas ago is available in the online seminars section of the forum http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2371 . Bear in mind that I was 17 when I wrote this earlier account and am now 21.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/breakingnews/ci_5486103

John

225px-Harrelson.jpg

Charles Harrelson died in the early hours of the morning due to a heart attack. Harrelson is the father of actor Woody Harrelson and is suspected of being one of the three tramps arrested near Dealey Plaza following the Kennedy assassination.

Thank you for providing this information. I have now updated my page on Harrelson. I have also added a link to your seminar.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKharrelson.htm

I have been working on a presentation on Harrelson for this weekends Caterbury Seminars for Dealey Plaza UK. In my presentation I was going to share a small piece of information that, if fully researched, could prove Harrelson's innocence in the murder of Judge John Wood. I have, in the past, corresponded with Harrelson a few years ago with regard to the assassination. I had intended to contact Harrelson again, but now I will not have the chance.

My research into Harrelson will cntinue much as it has, as Harrelson was not particularly open in his letters. One wonders what secrets Harrelson took to the grave with him. One also wonders whether Harrelson left any secrets with his attorneys as so many of his ilk have done.

I can not help but be saddened at his death, though he was a murderer and a con-man. I will post up a type up of my Canterbury presentation for others to read. My presentation on Harrelson from a few yeas ago is available in the online seminars section of the forum http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2371 . Bear in mind that I was 17 when I wrote this earlier account and am now 21.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/breakingnews/ci_5486103

John

225px-Harrelson.jpg

Thanks for the report John. I can't share your sadness at his death, although it is sad every time we lose a probable conspirator and therefore lose some truth they could have shared. Though it sounds like he didn't give you anything of value in his letter(s).

I'll look at your presentation; thanks for sharing the link.

His son Woody agrees with you, from what I've read, that his father was not involved with the crime he was imprisoned for. FWIW.

Anyway, I do think he was the tall tramp. So I'll just say good riddance to the tramp, and go back to researching who paid him.

Due to their proximity of age, my thoughts turned to Gerry Hemming who I understand is also not in the best of health.

I was wondering if anyone here has a somewhat close correspndence with Gerry. There is a treasure trove there, but I can far from determine exactly what it is .

In my few correspondences with Gerry by email, I found him to be a quite likeable individual, tho I was never astute enough to have ever learned anything more than what has been already published.

Although several persons have tried to explain it to me, I have never understood how a person with the foreknowledge which he apparently had of the assassination of JFK, and his mention of some of the individuals involved ........that he was not arrested for not reporting this foreknowledge of the attempted murder.

The only reasoning that makes sense to me is that he did report it, and has managed to stay alive as a result of some very incriminationg evidence which he has strategically safely held.

Can anyone fill me in on what I have missed?

Otherwise, I have not been able to make this fit !

Charlie Black

Here is an article for those afraid to click. What I find interesting is that he had severe coronary artery disease, yet died very suddenly in his sleep. The timing of this is also interesting, what with Stockton writing his book on Harvey, and dying before it could get released, and Hunt writing his book, and dying before it could get released. And here, Harrelson dies, and the article on his death fails to relate that Harrelson at one point claimed to have killed Kennedy.

Woody Harrelson's dad dies doing 2 life terms

From the Associated Press

9:15 AM PDT, March 21, 2007

Charles V. Harrelson

Charles V. Harrelson

click to enlarge

DENVER -- Actor Woody Harrelson's father, Charles Harrelson, died of a heart attack in the Supermax federal prison where he was serving two life sentences for the murder of a federal judge, officials said today.

Charles Harrelson, 69, was found unresponsive in his cell on the morning of March 15, said Felicia Ponce, a Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman in Washington.

Fremont County Coroner Dorothy Twellman said an autopsy showed Harrelson had severe coronary artery disease. She said he probably died in his sleep. "It appears it was very sudden."

Charles Harrelson was convicted of murder in the May 29, 1979, slaying of U.S. District Judge John Wood Jr. outside his San Antonio, Texas, home. Prosecutors said a drug dealer hired him to kill Wood because he did not want the judge to preside at his upcoming trial.

Charles Harrelson denied the killing, saying he was in Dallas, 270 miles away, at the time.

Wood, known as "Maximum John" for the sentences he gave in drug cases, was the first federal judge to be killed in the 20th century.

Charles Harrelson was transferred to Supermax, the highest-security federal prison, after attempting to break out of an Atlanta federal prison in 1995. Other inmates at Supermax, about 90 miles south of Denver, include Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski, Oklahoma City bombing coconspirator Terry Nichols and Olympic Park bomber Eric Rudolph.

His son got his start in acting as Woody the bartender on "Cheers" beginning in 1985 and went on to star in films including "Natural Born Killers," "White Men Can't Jump" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt."

Woody Harrelson's publicist did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.

The actor was just 7 when his father was first sent to prison, for murdering a Texas businessman. He was in college when his father was convicted of the judge's assassination.

Here is an article for those afraid to click. What I find interesting is that he had severe coronary artery disease, yet died very suddenly in his sleep. The timing of this is also interesting, what with Stockton writing his book on Harvey, and dying before it could get released, and Hunt writing his book, and dying before it could get released. And here, Harrelson dies, and the article on his death fails to relate that Harrelson at one point claimed to have killed Kennedy.

Charles V. Harrelson

Charles V. Harrelson

click to enlarge

DENVER -- Actor Woody Harrelson's father, Charles Harrelson, died of a heart attack in the Supermax federal prison where he was serving two life sentences for the murder of a federal judge, officials said today.

Charles Harrelson, 69, was found unresponsive in his cell on the morning of March 15, said Felicia Ponce, a Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman in Washington.

Fremont County Coroner Dorothy Twellman said an autopsy showed Harrelson had severe coronary artery disease. She said he probably died in his sleep. "It appears it was very sudden."

Charles Harrelson was convicted of murder in the May 29, 1979, slaying of U.S. District Judge John Wood Jr. outside his San Antonio, Texas, home. Prosecutors said a drug dealer hired him to kill Wood because he did not want the judge to preside at his upcoming trial.

Charles Harrelson denied the killing, saying he was in Dallas, 270 miles away, at the time.

Wood, known as "Maximum John" for the sentences he gave in drug cases, was the first federal judge to be killed in the 20th century.

Charles Harrelson was transferred to Supermax, the highest-security federal prison, after attempting to break out of an Atlanta federal prison in 1995. Other inmates at Supermax, about 90 miles south of Denver, include Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski, Oklahoma City bombing coconspirator Terry Nichols and Olympic Park bomber Eric Rudolph.

His son got his start in acting as Woody the bartender on "Cheers" beginning in 1985 and went on to star in films including "Natural Born Killers," "White Men Can't Jump" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt."

Woody Harrelson's publicist did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.

The actor was just 7 when his father was first sent to prison, for murdering a Texas businessman. He was in college when his father was convicted of the judge's assassination.

I couldn't find any article on google news that mentioned Harrelson's likely role in President Kennedy's assassination.

That is an interesting observation you make Pat. President Kennedy's birthday coming up on May 29. Two big books, David Talbot's "Brothers" and Bugliosi's "I'm a CIA Whore," coming out in May as a result. Two almost certain conspirators/murderers dying shortly before.

Granted they were old. But it's always good to note context in JFK research.

Charles V. Harrelson

Charles V. Harrelson

click to enlarge

I couldn't find any article on google news that mentioned Harrelson's likely role in President Kennedy's assassination.

That is an interesting observation you make Pat. President Kennedy's birthday coming up on May 29. Two big books, David Talbot's "Brothers" and Bugliosi's "I'm a CIA Whore," coming out in May as a result. Two almost certain conspirators/murderers dying shortly before.

Granted they were old. But it's always good to note context in JFK research.

since everyone in prison has been wrongly convicted of a crime they didn't committ I'm sure some one will ad this to the "suspicious death" catagory

If Harrelson was McDougaled, I'll have to change my thinking about Gedney as the tall tramp. But then what do I do about Gus? And then there's Frenchy, who bears no resemblance whatsoever to Charles Rodgers whom some researchers insist that he is.

Who took those tramp photos anyway? I think we'd be better off without them. Ditto the Z film. Say, a theory just occurred to me. The tramps altered the Z film in their train car, after Sitzman ran it to them. The old tramp (Howard, I'll bet) then took it to the sheriff's office in his paper bag.

From the March 24th 2007 Independent.

A family tragedy: The troubled life of Woody Harrelson

The star of 'Natural Born Killers' has an unusual Hollywood narrative - his father, who died last week, was a serial criminal imprisoned for the murder of a judge. Andrew Gumbel reports

Published: 23 March 2007

Woody Harrelson is, by his own admission, a wild and crazy guy. On the one hand, he is a bleeding-heart Hollywood liberal straight out of central casting: a vegan, a peace activist, a warrior for the environment and an agitator for the decriminalisation of marijuana. On the other hand, he has quite a temper and a track record of drinking and brawling.

During one stint on the London stage five years ago, he got into a shouting match with a taxi driver, ripped out an ashtray and smashed the door to override the central-locking system. (Charges were dropped after he agreed to pay for the damage.) Last year, he grabbed a paparazzo by the neck outside a Hollywood nightclub and, according to a subsequent complaint, broke the viewfinder on his camera.

Just a couple of weeks ago, he got into a fight with a bouncer at a trendy watering hole in Venice, California, after he was told he could not leave the premises with a glass of wine in his hand. Two traffic cops writing a parking ticket on the other side of the street slapped him in handcuffs, but eventually let him go with a warning after it became clear he had damaged himself more than the bouncer. (He cut his hand on a broken wine glass.)

The troubled times of Woody Harrelson are nothing, though, compared with the extraordinary life story of his father, Charles Voyde Harrelson. Harrelson Snr was a drifter, a serial monogamist and a self-admitted professional gambler who also, according to the best information available, developed a talent as a contract killer. In the mid-Seventies Charles Harrelson served five years for the murder of a Texas grain dealer, for which he was allegedly paid $2,000. In 1983, he received two life sentences for the murder of a federal judge in San Antonio - a crime that sensationalised west Texas at the time, since no other federal judge had been murdered anywhere in the United States since the 19th century.

The case had more than its share of murkiness, involving a complex relationship between Harrelson and a family of corrupt lawyers from El Paso called the Chagras, but the conviction and sentence were serious enough to keep Harrelson behind bars for the rest of his life. After a botched escape attempt in the mid-Nineties, he wound up in the so-called "Supermax" - the highest security federal prison in the US in Florence, Colorado, which has been home to the likes of Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber; Ramzi Yousef, responsible for the first World Trade Center bombing in 1993; and Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber.

Harrelson long ago resigned himself to the fact that he would die in the Supermax and that is exactly what has just happened. According to the county coroner, who announced the news, he died of a heart attack in his sleep nine days ago.

Relationships between fathers and sons are complicated things. Woody, for his part, has always claimed to have been minimally affected by his father's inglorious career. But it is hard not to be intrigued by the relationship between the two of them, and the odd points of convergence between Charles's criminal history and Woody's path through the Hollywood snakepit.

Consider: Woody first made his mark in feature films in the notorious Oliver Stone movie Natural Born Killers, a story that looks explicitly at a pair of runaways who view murder as an entirely amoral exercise. Charles, meanwhile, has been described by the Texas Ranger who spent more time than anyone pursuing him, as a man who killed not because he was crazy but because he could do it for money without losing any sleep.

Stone, meanwhile, had previously made JFK, a potboiler that played fast and loose with conspiracy theories about the president's assassination. Charles Harrelson, intriguingly, once claimed to have been in on the assassination, and even hinted at one point that he might have been one of the triggermen supposedly firing from the "grassy knoll" above the roadway at Dallas's Dealey Plaza.

That claim now appears, to the best of our knowledge, to have been pure hyperbole - much like the contentions in Stone's film. Harrelson's main claim was to have been one of three vagrants photographed and arrested in Dealey Plaza moments after the shooting. The Dallas police finally named the three vagrants in 1992 - almost 30 years after the assassination - and established that Harrelson was not among them. Harrelson himself later retracted the story, said he was having lunch with a friend in Houston at the time of the shooting, and added that he would never have accepted a contract to kill the president for fear that he would end up dead, just as Lee Harvey Oswald did.

Hyperbole and extremes of behaviour are nevertheless things that run through the entertainment business, just as they do through the criminal world. It's certainly something that father and son have both been guilty of. Woody Harrelson once claimed that, as an emerging star on the hit comedy series Cheers, he picked up and slept with three women a day. He has claimed, at different times, to be either completely sober, or completely drunk and stoned.

To his credit, Woody has never sought to trade off his father's story - either to generate sensational publicity for himself, or to elicit pity for his unorthodox upbringing. Even stripped of the hyperbole, though, it is quite some story.

Charles Harrelson was born in 1939 near Huntsville, the small town north of Houston that is home to Texas's well-used execution chamber. He came from a family of policemen and prison wardens, but quickly moved in a very different direction. As a young man he moved to California, where he sold encyclopedias and developed a taste for armed robbery - the crime for which he served his first stretch in prison. Next he moved back to Texas, and sold dental equipment for while before becoming a full-time gambler and card shark.

By the time he divorced Woody's mother in the mid-Sixties - Woody was born in 1961 - he had developed a notoriety as a "card mechanic", which meant he could stack a deck even when his unwitting victims had shuffled it themselves. His career choice brought him into contact with all sorts of unsavoury characters, at least some of whom were connected to the underworld of organised crime.

By 1968, the Texas Rangers were after him for murder. He was acquitted of the slaying of a bookie called Alan Berg, and almost beat the rap for the killing of grain dealer Sam Degelia after a nightclub singer made a surprise last-minute appearance in court and testified that she had been with him at the time of the murder. Eleven jurors refused to believe the singer and voted for conviction, but one juror was swayed and the case had to be retried.

The next time, though, Harrelson's prosecutors were ready - threatening the nightclub singer with an arrest warrant on perjury charges if she decided to show up in court. She did not, and Harrelson got 15 years, of which he served just under one-third. Then, in 1979, came the murder of federal judge John Wood - gunned down with a high-calibre rifle in the car park of his San Antonio condominium complex on the eve of a major trial in which a suspected El Paso mob leader, Jimmy Chagra, was facing federal drug-trafficking charges. Wood, nicknamed Maximum John, was known as a tough sentencer of drug offenders, and the Chagra family quickly came under suspicion.

It wasn't until several years later that Texas Ranger Jack Dean pinned the crime on Harrelson, who knew the Chagras through his gambling activities. Jimmy's wife and brother were both convicted for their involvement in Judge Wood's death but Jimmy himself, incredibly, was acquitted after his lawyer argued that Harrelson had killed the judge on his own initiative and then sought to extort money from Jimmy Chagra by threatening to pin the killing on him.

Harrelson, meanwhile, made a parallel argument, telling the jury in his separate trial that he only boasted of the murder as a means of forcing money out of the Chagras, but had not actually committed it. That argument failed.

Woody Harrelson, meanwhile, was only peripherally involved in these extraordinary events. He and his two siblings had been raised by their strict Presbyterian mother, first in Texas and then in Ohio. He went through drama school, moved to New York and then landed his first big break when one of the lead actors on Cheers, Nicholas Colasanto, died suddenly and had to be replaced. Colasanto had played Coach, the straight-guy bartender to Ted Danson's more clownish Sam. Harrelson's character, called Woody, fulfilled a very similar function but did it with sufficient verve to help keep the show going for several more years.

Harrelson's film career took a while to get going - not until Indecent Proposal, in 1993, did he attract much critical or popular attention. Natural Born Killers put him definitively on the map and that was followed by Kingpin, the Farrelly brothers comedy; The People vs. Larry Flynt, in which he played the eponymous wheelchair-bound publisher of Hustler magazine; and Wag The Dog, in which he played a mythologised soldier lost behind enemy lines in a non-existent war in Albania.

Harrelson attracted ever more attention, meanwhile, for his off-screen activities: lowering a banner off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco to protest against clear-cutting of California's redwood forests; advocating biodiesel fuel made from hemp; turning himself into the poster-child for the legal marijuana movement; and opening a raw food oxygen bar in West Hollywood, at which patrons were invited to inhale scented gases pumped in from Sunset Boulevard and purified to heighten their oxygen content. That venture was not a success.

He also bankrolled an extensive effort in the late Nineties to have his father's case reopened in the appeals courts. "I can't attest to whether he's guilty or innocent," he said at the time. "But a lot of sources lead me to believe it wasn't a fair trial." The courts, however, did not agree, and Charles Harrelson was left to rot in prison. His son visited regularly, and they appear to have got along just fine. Following Charles's death, Woody has issued no statement or public comment. It's not often a movie star can claim to have a contract killer for a father, but Harrelson appears to have decided, once again, not to make hay of it.

If Harrelson was McDougaled, I'll have to change my thinking about Gedney as the tall tramp. But then what do I do about Gus? And then there's Frenchy, who bears no resemblance whatsoever to Charles Rodgers whom some researchers insist that he is.

Who took those tramp photos anyway? I think we'd be better off without them. Ditto the Z film. Say, a theory just occurred to me. The tramps altered the Z film in their train car, after Sitzman ran it to them. The old tramp (Howard, I'll bet) then took it to the sheriff's office in his paper bag.

According to this link, someone named J. Beers took the photos of the 3 Tramps.

http://www.jfk-info.com/photos1.htm

Kathy

According to this link, someone named J. Beers took the photos of the 3 Tramps.

http://www.jfk-info.com/photos1.htm

Kathy

Three photographers took the tramp photos.

Two were by George Smith of the FW Star-Telegram.

Jack

They were Jack Beers, who worked for the Dallas Morning News who took 33 photos around

and inside the TSBD ...including shots of the tramps..

William Allen the Dallas Times Herald took 73

snap shots of Dealey and of the inside of the TSBD, and three photos of the tramps....

& George Smith .Forth Worth Star Telegram...

Below is another man that was arrested, or escorted for questioning, so far a "no namer"

That is Asst D.A....William Alexander getting into a patrol car....also taken by Jack Beers..

which is attached....

Some may be interested in the artice below......

""NUMBERs 32-35.* Policeman with "tramps." None of these pictures were seen by the Warren Commission.

In the case of the "tramps," those three men who were rounded up on orders of Police Inspector J. Herbert Sawyer (the man in charge of security activity at Dealey Plaza), we find a sequence of astounding actions. A Sergeant D.V. Harkness was ordered to stop a freight train and remove the men. Harkness arrested the three men and turned them over to policemen Marvin Wise and Billy Bass, who marched them all the way from the west side of the Book building, around the north side of the Plaza, and into the vehicle entrance of the Sheriff's office. Few people realize this entire procedure took place almost on the steps of the Sheriff's office. While Wise and Bass were marching these men to the Sheriff's office, William Allen, George Smith, and Jack Beers of the Dallas Times Herald, the Fort Worth Star Telegram, and the Dallas Morning News, took several pictures of them. Their remarkable pictures show clearly that Wise and Bass took them to the Sheriff's office. Yet Harkness and Sheriff Harold Elkins couldn't remember that there were any other policemen with Harkness. This is utterly ridiculous in the face of so many clear pictures. Why was this done? And why weren't these amazing pictures shown to the Commission so that it could order the men before them. And worse still, there is absolutely no record anywhere that these men were booked that day. There are no "blotter" records at all. The men have simply vanished.

I have been given a list of the names of these men. Also, the pictures show three policemen. Did the Sheriff, or someone in that office, spirit them away? And why did the Sheriff, who had all of these men in his custody, permit them to get away within minutes of the time that the President of the United States had been shot and killed on his doorstep? These are tough questions, but let's go a bit further. Why didn't the all-powerful Warren Commission -- which included the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, the former Director of Central Intelligence, the man who is now our President, etc. -- why didn't they have an opportunity to see these pictures? The photos would have led them to ask these questions and then to demand answers. ""

http://www.john-f-kennedy.net/thegunsofdallas.htm

B..

Edited by Bernice Moore

• 2 weeks later...

According to Kenny Gallo (a convicted mafia associate in the FBI witness programme) Charles Harrelson was writing a book about his life. In it he was going to admit that he only carried out six assassinations. However, he was involved in plots of a lot more killings that date back to the early 1960s. The memoir, and other papers, has been left to his three sons. It will be interesting if the “memoir” will ever get published.

According to Kenny Gallo (a convicted mafia associate in the FBI witness programme) Charles Harrelson was writing a book about his life. In it he was going to admit that he only carried out six assassinations. However, he was involved in plots of a lot more killings that date back to the early 1960s. The memoir, and other papers, has been left to his three sons. It will be interesting if the “memoir” will ever get published.

Not to take credit for Harrelson writing his memoirs, but I suggsted it to him in a letter in 2004. I wonder if he heeded my advice that people would be interested to hear his life story, not least of all his children.

The story of Harrelson having written a memoir appeared in the national enquirer after his death. It's nice to get a source for the informaion though.

Thanks John,

John