The Education Forum

NASA Warped our View of Space

I know if a monkey died after a few days in space, I wouldn't go up in any spacecraft afterwards.

Kathy

Fair enough comment, but think about it some more:

You know people are killed in automobile accidents - does that stop you travelling in them?

Have a think about the specific circumstances in this case:

All three members of the Apollo 11 crew had flown into space before on Gemini missions; none of them was a rookie, so they would have had confidence that space travel was achievable. They had fellow astronauts who had flown the Apollo spacecraft (CSM & LM) on previous missions (Apollo 7 to 10), so they would have had confidence that the hardware was up to the task.

Overall, they had confidence that they could complete the mission safely.

On learning of Bonnie's death, they may well have questioned the circumstances - was it equipment? Environmental? Why did this happen? They would have been told that it was due to dehydration. They may have questioned further about any relevance of those circumstances to the risks they faced, but ultimately they were confident that there were no additional risks.

Incidentally, that's why I question it's relevance to the debate.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say the monkey died from dehydration. I would think most humans would be smart enough to drink while in space. I would think that the monkey being disoriented and possibly scared, did not feel like eating or drinking. So there is no reason to think that what happened to the monkey would happen to those on Apollo especially since they had already had trips in space before the incident that had lasted longer and had gone around the moon. The idea that the monkey died from radiation is just a rumor with nothing whatsoever to support it. Before it happened they had already been through and past the Van Allen belts and had had information about them for years.

"If any of the posted fantasy were true it would be frighting. However, it is so wrong its laughable."

You're wrong Steve , as the really frightening thing here would be your complete inability to read, and then repost anything except the same dreary misleading information from the same self serving nasa web sites and from those sites who support their bogus manned moon missions .

You know people are killed in automobile accidents - does that stop you travelling in them?
Comparing automobile accidents to the manned moon missions that were shown on " live TV ", which would "win the space race " and thus put an end to the cold war , is beyond ludicrous .
On learning of Bonnie's death, they may well have questioned the circumstances - was it equipment? Environmental? Why did this happen? They would have been told that it was due to dehydration. They may have questioned further about any relevance of those circumstances to the risks they faced, but ultimately they were confident that there were no additional risks.

There were too many risks to even list , much less announce to the world ... The fact that none of the Apollo missions killed any of the astronots is completely unbelievable ... Especially since there was no way to test the LM being launched from the lunar surface ( which is completely radioactive by the way ) ... So except for the alleged technical problems on Apollo 13 , which also never harmed any of the astronots , no other major problems occured .

So was Apollo blessed or hoaxed ? ... I have no doubt it was the latter.

I know if a monkey died after a few days in space, I wouldn't go up in any spacecraft afterwards.

Kathy

Fair enough comment, but think about it some more:

Evan, of course more people die in car accidents than in space. How many people are ever in space? How many vehicles have to veer away from other vehicles up there?

I get what you mean. But the roads on this planet we know. It's what we don't know -- space -- that scares me and I would bet many people.

Say we never made it beyond the Van Allen belts. Are you, or the person who started this thread, going to say we don't know what space looks like? What about the images the Hubble Telescope sends back? They're not true?

Kathy

Hello Kathy ... I am the person who started this thread ...My name is Duane .. Glad to meet you .

Maybe you should study this subject a bit more , especially from the hoax point of view ... You might just see what millions of other people do ... It was IMPOSSIBLE for nine manned missions , carrying 27 astronots , over 38 years ago , to travel almost one half millions miles each into the deadly cosmic ray radiaiton of deep space , to land on the radioactive moon , and then relaunch again from the lunar surface with untested technology which had the computing capacity of a Wallmart watch ...

The monkey may have died for many reasons , but the boys who have made it their mission in life to defend the official Apollo record , didn't even know about this dead monkey until I mentioned it here ... and the reason was because this is just one of many problems which nasa has managed to keep under wraps , until now ...

There is NO WAY that the US military industrial complex which controls nasa , would have allowed our national heros to take the chance of dying on the way to the moon and back ... Not only would the Russians have beaten the US in the race to the moon but it would have been a national tragedy ... and America already had the tragedy of the immoral and illegal Viet Nam war to contend with ..

Apollo was a poitical public relations stunt created for many reasons ... One of them being money .... nasa and their outsourced companies made billions of dollars on each mission allegedy launched for the moon ... So since they didn't have the proper technology or adequit enough radiation shielding in place to traverse the Van Allen belts and venture into deep space , nasa faked it to the moon ....That way they saved face , won the cold war , beat the evil Russians in the space race , and also kept the billions of dollars of funding coming in .

Hello Kathy ... I am the person who started this thread ...My name is Duane .. Glad to meet you .

Maybe you should study this subject a bit more , especially from the hoax point of view ... You might just see what millions of other people do ... It was IMPOSSIBLE for nine manned missions , carrying 27 astronots , over 38 years ago , to travel almost one half millions miles each into the deadly cosmic ray radiaiton of deep space , to land on the radioactive moon , and then relaunch again from the lunar surface with untested technology which had the computing capacity of a Wallmart watch ...

The monkey may have died for many reasons , but the boys who have made it their mission in life to defend the official Apollo record , didn't even know about this dead monkey until I mentioned it here ... and the reason was because this is just one of many problems which nasa has managed to keep under wraps , until now ...

There is NO WAY that the US military industrial complex which controls nasa , would have allowed our national heros to take the chance of dying on the way to the moon and back ... Not only would the Russians have beaten the US in the race to the moon but it would have been a national tragedy ... and America already had the tragedy of the immoral and illegal Viet Nam war to contend with ..

Apollo was a poitical public relations stunt created for many reasons ... One of them being money .... nasa and their outsourced companies made billions of dollars on each mission allegedy launched for the moon ... So since they didn't have the proper technology or adequit enough radiation shielding in place to traverse the Van Allen belts and venture into deep space , nasa faked it to the moon ....That way they saved face , won the cold war , beat the evil Russians in the space race , and also kept the billions of dollars of funding coming in .

Duane, I thought it was you who started the thread, but I didn't check. Someone I knew, who was a Kennedy Assassination expert, said he knew somebody who had a certain type of radio and tuned it into NASA's frequency when the astronauts where about to land on the moon the first time. He heard one of the astronauts say, "They're all over the place. I think they're watching us." He was talking about UFO's. And the moon was a station for them.

What I'd like to know is, how close is the Hubble Telescope to the Van Allen Belts, and is it sending us accurate pictures? Since you had said NASA ruined our image of outer space.

Kathy

Edited by Kathleen Collins

Duane, if the deep space is so deadly with cosmic rays then how come those astronauts in Earth orbit don\'t have a problem with them? You do know that the Van Allen belts don\'t stop cosmic rays right? Or do you believe that all space travel is a hoax?

What I'd like to know is, how close is the Hubble Telescope to the Van Allen Belts, and is it sending us accurate pictures? Since you had said NASA ruined our image of outer space.

Kathy

There is nothing for hubble to see in the belts, they are invisible.

What I meant was, are the Hubble Telescope photos the real thing, since Duane believes we don't know what space looks like?

Kathy

The fact that none of the Apollo missions killed any of the astronots is completely unbelievable ...

Well, three Apollo astronauts were killed during the Pad 34 fire of Apollo 1.

It's a testament to the rigor applied to Apollo that so many missions went off without losing the life of an astronaut - even though there were close calls. That has been cited as one of the many reasons for the shutdown of project Apollo; many thought that it would only be a matter of time before their luck ran out and there was a disaster in space - one that claimed lives. Some thought it was better to end on a high note. I can see their point, but I disagree.

Especially since there was no way to test the LM being launched from the lunar surface

There has to be a first time for everything, but the testing of the LM was pretty thorough. Remember all the reports I linked to regarding LM tests? Remember how the LM was tested unmanned in Earth orbit twice, tested manned in Earth orbit, and test manned in lunar orbit? All the manned missions included test firings of the ascent stage from the descent stage, so they had a high degree of confidence that it would work.

Perhaps you think there should have been an unmanned test landing of the LM on the lunar surface? That was considered, and there certainly were advocates of that approach, but a persuasive argument was: if we have confidence in this craft, and are going to spend so much money putting it on the surface.... why not put a man in it?

Perhaps some people remembered Mercury-Redstone 2. They wanted to send Al Shepard up on that flight, but the Huntsville engineers were still worried about some of the faults that developed during the MR-1 flight. They wanted to do another unmanned test flight to be sure... and their view was supported. MR-2 went off without a major hitch, and Shepard flew on MR-3. Problem was, if Shepard had flown the MR-2 flight as some had wanted, the first man in space would be recorded as Alan B. Shepard instead of Yuri Gagarin.

...( which is completely radioactive by the way ) ...

That is a little misleading. Yes, astronauts are exposed to cosmic radiation. Yes, the astronauts are exposed to secondary radiation. The key factor here is exposure duration. The astronauts spent up to a little over 7 hours duration on their EVAs (in the latter missions) out of the LM. Those latter missions had up to 3 EVAs. The longest time on the surface was 3 days and just shy of 3 hours during Apollo 17. When they weren't on the surface, they were in LM - which provide protection against much of the harmful radiation. When they were on the EVAs, the suits provided a measure of protection.

For short duration missions, this was an acceptable risk. For long duration missions such as are being planned (e.g. weeks on the surface), a greater measure of protection must be provided.

So except for the alleged technical problems on Apollo 13 , which also never harmed any of the astronots , no other major problems occured .

Well, I am sure the surviving Apollo 13 astronauts would disagree with your use of the term 'alleged technical problems'. Additionally, there were problems on most of the missions - some which were actually major (though downplayed in light of the overall mission success). Would you like to tell us about them?

It's what we don't know -- space -- that scares me and I would bet many people.

Indeed it is. Still, with some knowledge, we have to make that first small step to understanding the unknown and conquering our fears, do we not?

Ambrose Redmoon once said:

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."

I think that applies very well to the space programme.

What I meant was, are the Hubble Telescope photos the real thing, since Duane believes we don't know what space looks like?

Kathy

Kathy ... I never said we don't know what deep space looks like or that the Hubble hasn't photographed deep space ... Unmanned missions can and have traveled through and beyond the Van Allen radiation belts ... It's the MANNED missions which haven't gone a half a million miles out into deep space to land on the radioactive lunar surface with 40 year old technology.

Cosmic rays are deadly ... No human can survive them ... The Apollo space craft did NOT have adequit radiation shielding to protect the astronots .... Even today nasa doesn't have the answer or the technology yet , to protect manned missions into deep space ...

The Apollo photos and vidoes were shot on moon sets ... and this sad fact has been proven by many photographic experts and conspiracy reserarchers, such as Jack White , David Percy and Dr. David Groves , to name just a few .

But this is something you will have to decide for yourself , if you're interested ... People either accept the authenticity of the official Apollo record , or they don't ... I have personally researched enough evidence to where I have no doubt the official Apollo record is bogus .

Edited by Duane Daman

Kathy

Kathy ... I never said we don't know what deep space looks like or that the Hubble hasn't photographed deep space ... Unmanned missions can and have traveled through and beyond the Van Allen radiation belts ... It's the MANNED missions which haven't gone a half a million miles out into deep space to land on the radioactive lunar surface with 40 year old technology.

We didn't go with 40 year old technology, we went with state of the art technology (at the time). Tell me Duane, what type of radiation comes from the lunar surface, at what flux rate and what energy levels? Surely if you're so certain it's deadly you know this.

Cosmic rays are deadly ... No human can survive them ... The Apollo space craft did NOT have adequit radiation shielding to protect the astronots .... Even today nasa doesn't have the answer or the technology yet , to protect manned missions into deep space ...
Same question as before, what type, what flux, what energy level? What would be required to protect from it?
The Apollo photos and vidoes were shot on moon sets ... and this sad fact has been proven by many photographic experts and conspiracy reserarchers, such as Jack White , David Percy and Dr. David Groves , to name just a few .

Not a single one of their studies stands up to scrutiny, and you know this.

But this is something you will have to decide for yourself , if you're interested ... People either accept the authenticity of the official Apollo record , or they don't ... I have personally researched enough evidence to where I have no doubt the official Apollo record is bogus .

You haven't shown any understanding of the claims you cut & paste into this forum, so that explains why you don't see how they're wrong.