The Education Forum

The funny things children say

My wife picked up Alex, my six year old grandson, from school the other day. He told her about how he got into trouble with his dad the previous evening. While having his bath he told his dad that his friend Scott had taught him a new word. Alex explained that his father got very angry when he told him what the word was. He seemed a bit confused about why the use of this word was wrong. Alex told his grandmother that his dad had pointed out that “we don’t use square words in our house”. He is not sure what square words are but they do begin with an “F”.

They walked through the park on the way home from school. My wife commented on the colours of the flowers. Alex replied that when his mum was young, everything was in black and white. My wife replied that this was not the case. He insisted he was right as he had seen the photographs of her as a child and the flowers and trees were definitely black and white.

Have you got any examples of the funny things children say?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen Turner

Our School song was "To be a pilgrim" by Bunyan, which we sang each morning at reception, when my Brother Phil started School he refused to sing the song, and wouldnt tell his teachers why, as his elder Brother I was asked to talk to him to establish what the problem was. Upon asking him he told me "I'm not singing those horrible words" which horrible words I said, "To follow the Master, I'm not folowing that B*****" The Master was an evil character in Dr Who at the time......

The famous one in our family was when my now adult son was about three and learning to dress himself. He pulled on his Y-fronts back to front and I said to him: You've got those on the wrong way round. He looked down and said very seriouisy: Yes, but they'll be all right when I turn round.