The Education Forum

Music on YouTube

John Simkin

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erykah Badu - Window Seat (Official Music Video) from "New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS3ikrTJTqk

Singer Erykah Badu strips at JFK assassination site in new video

Assassination site in new video

By Alan Duke, CNN, March 29, 2010

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/29/erykah.badu.strips/index.html?hpt=C2

Singer Erykah Badu strips in controversial video for her song "Window Seat"

Some fans respond via Twitter, praising Badu's artistic vision

Singer revisits scene of President Kennedy's 1963 assassination in Dallas, Texas

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Erykah Badu shed her clothes as she walked along a Dallas, Texas, sidewalk until she was nude and then fell near where President Kennedy was assassinated.

The result was a controversial video, released Saturday, for her song "Window Seat," which Badu said was "shot guerrilla style" with no crew and in one take March 17.

Children could be seen nearby as Badu stripped in Dealey Plaza, a popular tourist spot since Kennedy's 1963 assassination.

The singer's management did not immediately respond to request for comment, but Badu responded to the controversy via Twitter.

She tweeted that "there were children there. i prayed they wouldnt b traumatized."

The R&B singer said she was making a statement against "groupthink," which she tweeted was an "unwritten rule" that "i will not express my true opinion if it opposes those i love and fear."

Some fans sent tweets praising Badu's artistic vision.

One fan tweeted to Badu on Sunday: "thank you, because your being brave, i no longer feel afraid to say what i really feel."

The video opens with a November 22, 1963, radio broadcast describing Kennedy's motorcade turning onto Elm Street seconds before fatal shots were fired.

In the video, Badu is behind the wheel of a 1965 Lincoln Continental, parked along Kennedy's route. A single camera focuses on her as she walks toward Elm Street and the book depository where Kennedy's assassin fired his rifle.

Badu tweeted that "i was petrified while shooting this video ... but liberation began to set in. i conquered many fears in that few moments."

She said she was "too busy lookin for cops" to be embarrassed by her nudity. "i been naked all along in my words actions and deeds. thats the real vulnerable place," she tweeted.

The video does not include shouts from people off camera, she said. "they were yelling, 'THIS IS A PUBLIC PLACE : YOU OUGHTA BE ASHAMED : PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON : DAMN GIRL! etc," Badu tweeted.

More than a dozen people stood along the plaza's "grassy knoll" when Badu took off the last piece of clothing.

"the people caught in the shot were trying hard to ignore me," she tweeted.

As she reached the spot where Kennedy was first struck by a bullet, the crackle of a gunshot is heard and Badu's head snaps back and she falls to the ground as if dead.

Badu said when the camera stopped "we ran."

The singer was born in Dallas, where she is raising her three children -- ages 1, 5 and 12

She tweeted to fans about her 5-year-old daughter's response when told of her plans for the video: "she looked at me with a blank face and replied ok mama can i have another pudding?"

The video was released days before the singer's next album, "New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh," hits record stores. The single "Window Seat" is at No. 28 on Billboard's R&B/hip-hop chart.xxx

JT: Many people don't realize this is one of the most well respected women in the industry. "Many call her the "Queen of Neo Soul". She is well educated with a college degree and a former teacher. This is just Erykah Badu being Erykah Badu. People are so quick to judge something they don't understand. She is often compared with the great Billie Holiday.

@mykidstjz you brought up race...so let's not pretend that I made that the issue. The way a monument or memory is appreciated varies by culture, ethnicity, morality, etc...You may view her artistic demonstration at the site of the JFK killing as offensive/disrespectful...i thought of it as the best homage that area has received in decades and an Amazing way to highlight that JFK in many ways risked and lost his life to make this country better for all races, artists, creeds, viewpoints...

Edited by William Kelly

Jonsi Birgisson's (Sigur Ros frontman) solo album Go is out.

Jonsi- Boy Lilikoi

Some reviews

birgisson has just made the best record of his career 9/10

- clash music

the sigur rós singer fights huge with huger on his solo debut, matching the uplift of his full-time band at their most dramatic. 8.1

- pitchfork

when the loops and beats are kicking up dust, the man’s blissful blues feel earned ***1/2

- rolling stone

Those interested could listen to all the songs in the album by visiting Jonsi's official webpage.

http://jonsi.com/go

Joe Strummer - R.I.P.