The Education Forum

Ford Hardtop

Stirling Wood was a 13 year old boy. Now when I was a kid I rmemember being very aware of cars and so were my contemporaries (males) it's probably universal trait. Sometimes just a quick view of a part of a car and one knows which car it is. A friend of mine and I could even pick motorcycles simply by hearing them.

Thanks John. As a boy and even now, I pride myself in car identification. I can look at a picture of a very small portion of a car, especially one from the 50's or 60's, and tell you exactly what the year and make is. I love to look at pictures of cars stacked up in junkyards and try to identify them. Like you said, I'm sure that most boys raised during this period (I was 9 in 1963) could do this. ......

JWK

Hey, JWK, if so, can you ID this car for me?

Thanks, and a tip of the hat to

Rich Del for this pix from his collection at JFKresearch.

BK

misterAJ.jpg

Edited by William Kelly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stirling Wood was a 13 year old boy. Now when I was a kid I rmemember being very aware of cars and so were my contemporaries (males) it's probably universal trait. Sometimes just a quick view of a part of a car and one knows which car it is. A friend of mine and I could even pick motorcycles simply by hearing them.

Thanks John. As a boy and even now, I pride myself in car identification. I can look at a picture of a very small portion of a car, especially one from the 50's or 60's, and tell you exactly what the year and make is. I love to look at pictures of cars stacked up in junkyards and try to identify them. Like you said, I'm sure that most boys raised during this period (I was 9 in 1963) could do this. ......

JWK

BK

misterAJ.jpg

James is correct. It's a 1962 full sized Chevy, but no way of knowing if it's an Impala, Bel Air or Biscayne. There is a chrome strip at the top of the fender, so I'll guess that it's the Impala or Bel Air. The Biscayne didn't have that chrome strip on the side. My guess would be a Bel Air, since it had a little bit thinner strip on the side than the Impala did, but it's hard to tell for sure by that picture.

JWK

Edited by J. William King

BK

misterAJ.jpg

The one on the left looks like a full-sized '62 Chevy. The one on the right might be a '63 Mario Tauler Sague "hardtop."

--Thomas :rolleyes:

Edited by Thomas Graves

That other picture is a toughie, Bernice. It's not the same vehicle. If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a 1962 Dodge Dart/Phoenix/Polara judging by the headlight/hood location. Not sure however. In fact, the more I look at it, I'd say probably not.

http://www.checkertaxistand.com/albums/alb...rt_P1.sized.jpg

JWK

Edited by J. William King

That other picture is a toughie, Bernice. It's not the same vehicle. If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a 1962 Dodge Dart/Phoenix/Polara judging by the headlight/hood location. Not sure however. In fact, the more I look at it, I'd say probably not.

JWK

Seein' as how the photo was (supposedly) taken in Communist Cuba, it might be a Russian car...

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

JWK

Seein' as how the photo was (supposedly) taken in Communist Cuba, it might be a Russian car...

--Thomas

I thought that was taken in Mexico City, Mexico, at the Cuban Embassy?

JWK

JWK

--Thomas

JWK

Damn, JW, you're right. :rolleyes:

I can't believe I did that. Not enough Jameson (Irish whiskey), I suppose...

--Thomas (Mahon) Graves

P.S. Since it was (supposedly) taken in Mexico outside the Embassy of a Communist country, it must be a U.S. car, right? (Just kidding.)

Edited by Thomas Graves

The car with the single headlights, as opposed to the dual headlights per side, appears to be a '60-'62 Ford Falcon; while the other does appear to be a '62 Chevrolet full-size.

61 Ford Falcon picture

62 Impala picture

In the matter of Ford Hardtops...referring, of course to the full-size Galaxies and similar...there was the '63, with a concave-shaped grille, and the '64, released in the fall of '64 with a similar look but a grille that was more flat and had vertical bars. And then there were the hardtops themselves. There was the early '63 hardtop, and the '64 hardtop...and a midyear 1963 variation with a different contour than the first '63 hardtop design, known to us "motorheads" as the '63-1/2. A most desirable configuration for a collector would be a '63-1/2 Galaxie 500 XL hardtop equipped with the 406 cubic inch engine [FE-series engine] with three two-barrel carburetion, conservatively rated at 405 hp, with a 4-speed manual transmission.

I'll try to find and post some pics of the different rooflines.

63 Ford Hardtop picture

63-1/2 Ford Hardtop picture

64 Ford Hardtop picture

Edited by Mark Knight

Thanks guys,

I was actually looking for a Renault that I have a make on.

It's a shame we can't get a license plate number from the photos.

I didn't realize there were so many photos of the mystery man. The background was cut out by the CIA in the photos released early on, making me wonder if there isn't a photo with some additional and possibly significant background information.

BTW, at one time I owned a '57 Chevy and a '65 Mustange convertable at the same time. Currently driving a '76 Mercury Monarch.

Info on cars, like planes, leave a paper trail of evidentary value.

BK

JWK

--Thomas

JWK

Damn, JW, you're right. :lol:

I can't believe I did that. Not enough Jameson (Irish whiskey), I suppose...

--Thomas (Mahon) Graves

P.S. Since it was (supposedly) taken in Mexico outside the Embassy of a Communist country, it must be a U.S. car, right? (Just kidding.)

Don't be embarassed, Thomas. I had a whole paragraph written up about "what is a 1962 Chevy doing in Cuba when they stopped importing US cars in 1959" before I caught myself and deleted it...lol!

I don't know if that car is a Falcon or not. My very first car was a 1961 Falcon wagon. It looked like the headlights were set inward quite a bit, which is why I was guessing it was a '62 Dodge.

JWK