The Education Forum

Ford Hardtop

Not on duty?, arrival at transfer 11.00 am ??? Like Harry, not really supposed to be there. But in this instance arriving at the time of the overdue transfer. Overdue as a result of Harrys's prescence at interview.

"Warren Commission Hearings: Vol. XII - Page 286

(Testimony of Billy Joe Maxey)

Mr. Hubert.

Is that the same assignment that you had during the Period of November 22 and 24, 1963?

Sergeant MAXEY. Yes, sir. I was acting lieutenant on that particular day. Number 16.

Mr. Hubert.

What does that mean, "Number 16"?

Sergeant MAXEY. That is the call from the northeast substation.

Mr. Hubert.

Did you have any particular orders or functions with respect to the transfer of Oswald to the county jail?

Sergeant MAXEY. No, sir; not before I arrived at the central station.

Mr. Hubert.

What time did you arrive there ?

Sergeant MAXEY. Somewhere in the vicinity of 11 a.m. I am not positive of the exact time.

Mr. Hubert.

What sort of an automobile were you driving then ?

Sergeant MAXEY. A plain car, black 1963 model Ford.

Mr. Hubert.

That is to say, unmarked?

(Does this mean it was his to drive off duty, or that it was his own property?)

Sergeant MAXEY. Yes, sir.

Mr. Hubert.

Where were you coming from ?

Sergeant MAXEY. Northeast substation.

Mr. Hubert.

Had you been ordered in?

Sergeant MAXEY. No, sir.

Mr. Hubert.

How did you come to get there then ?

Sergeant MAXEY. I had some cards to be taken to 511, where there were requests for off-duty employment, overtime work and I thought perhaps I might be able to assist them. I knew they were going to need all the help they could get down there that day.

Mr. Hubert.

You had not been ordered down there?

Sergeant MAXEY. No, sir.

Mr. Hubert.

What did you do with your car ?

Sergeant MAXEY. I parked it on the north end of the garage.

Mr. Hubert.

Then what did you do?

Sergeant MAXEY. I approached Putnam. They were dispersing some traffic officers or some officers who worked traffic. They weren't in the traffic division, they were patrol officers, and asked him at this time if there was anything I could do, and he said, that if I would wait a few minutes I could probably go hop in Sergeant Dean's station wagon. I--he didn't elaborate, and I stayed there in the basement there for a few minutes. I don't know exactly how long and Lieutenant Pierce came down and Sergeant Putnam spoke to me, and said, "Why don't you go with us?" And I approached Lieutenant Pierce's car and he was in this--he was in his car at this time and asked him if he wanted me to go with him and he said, "Yes."

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent> Thank you, William.

Hardtop

Stirling Wood was a 13 year old boy. Now when I was a kid I rmemember being very aware of cars and so were my contemporaries (males) it's probably universal trait. Sometimes just a quick view of a part of a car and one knows which car it is. A friend of mine and I could even pick motorcycles simply by hearing them.

When he says a new ford hardtop that is most likely what it was. So the field narrows considerably. So: apparently we move into a different economic bracket. A smaller field of candidates.

WC testimony, Firing range:: Mr (13 yo Sterling) Wood : It was a ..newer model ...Ford...Hardtop....I know cause I like Fords...

Sedan

"Robert Surrey, an aide to General Edwin Walker, reported that on Saturday, April 6, 1963, at about 9:00 p.m., "two white men in a 1963 Ford [four door Sedan], dark purple or dark brown, parked in the alley directly behind the complainant's [General Edwin Walker] house. These persons were witnessed getting out of the car and walking up to the property line and smoking the place over." They were dressed in suits. Robert Surrey followed them for thirty minutes as they left the alley and stated: "There was no license plate on this car, either front or rear." "

in this instance a "dark four door 1963 model Ford sedan" no plates, seen after dark.

"Rhodopsins strongly absorb light, which gives them a characteristic dark, opaque color called visual purple. The photoisomerization causes a bleaching from purple to transparent yellow, which allows light to pass deeper into the outer segment and strike photopigment molecules below. After photoisomerization, the pigment is regenerated or reassembled from the bleached components. Less than 1% of the total amount of bleached photopigment in a cone is regenerated each second; yet even during daylight, only about 50% of the photopigment is bleached at any time.

This is the transduction process by which the retina translates light energy into nerve impulses: light strikes the chromophore, which detaches from the photopigment, which transforms the backbone, which causes an enzyme chemical cascade, which changes the ion permeability of the cell walls, which alters the electric charge of the cell, which alters its baseline synaptic activity, which changes the pattern of activity among secondary cells in the retina. The entire sequence, from photon absorption to nerve output, is completed within 50 microseconds (millionths of a second).

Dim Light (Scotopic) Sensitivity. The diagrams above also show the CIE 1951 scotopic sensitivity function [denoted V'(λ)] which describes human light sensitivity under dark adaptation at illuminances below 0.1 lux. This is approximately the amount of light available under a half moon at night.

At these very low illuminance levels the cones cannot respond to light and the rods completely define our visual experience. There are seven peculiarities of rod based or scotopic vision:

• All rods contain the same photopigment, rhodopsin, so rods lack the photopigment variety necessary for color vision. We become functionally colorblind except for isolated points of higher luminance, such as distant traffic lights or the planet Mars, that are bright enough to stimulate the cones.

• Rod signals do not transmit within separate nerve pathways: they feed into the same channels used by the cones. These channels are segregated into contrasting red/green and yellow/blue opponent contrasts. As a result, rods can produce faint color sensations — at very low chroma and lightness contrast.

• Peak sensitivity is around 505 nm or "blue green". As natural light around sunset is shifted toward red, the rods start to dark adapt while still exposed to long wavelength ("red") light.

• However, rod sensations of "white" usually appear faint blue (matching about 480 nm) and not blue green.

• There are roughly 100 million rods in the human retina, yet they are completely absent from the fovea at the center of the visual field where daylight visual resolution is highest. We cannot read even large print text under scotopic vision, or recognize very small objects, because the fovea shuts down.

• There are about 16 rods for every cone in the eye, but there are only about 1 million separate nerve pathways from each eye to the brain. This means that the average pathway must carry information from 6 cones and 100 rods! This pooling of so many rod outputs in a single signal considerably reduces scotopic visual resolution and means, despite their huge numbers, that rod visual acuity is only about 1/20th that of the cones.

• Like the cones, the rods are more widely spaced and larger in diameter toward the edges of the retina, but they also form a densely packed ring at about a 20° visual angle around the fovea. This is why we can see very faint stars or lights at night if we look to one side, rather than directly at, their location.

The rods strongly affect color perception under moderately low illumination by mixing with or tinting the color responses of the still active cones. This mesopic vision typically appears in illuminances from 0.1 to 10 lux, for example during the 45 minutes or so after sunset (for a viewer outdoors and shielded from artificial light).

Because the rod and cone outputs are pooled in shared nerve pathways in mesopic vision, the photopic luminosity curve shifts toward blue and long wavelength hues become darker. Bright yellow, ochre and umber fuse into a single grayish tan, greens and blues appear as a single "grue" (green blue) color, and reds become a warm, dark gray. This Purkinje shift (named for the Bohemian scientist who described it in 1825) is easiest to see in large areas of color extending outside the visual field of the rodless fovea. It is quite noticeable if you look at a familiar, brightly colored art print, hawaiian shirt or flower bed in fading twilight as your eyes become adapted to the dark.

In daylight illumination the rod signals are near maximum, which causes a ceiling effect that makes the rods insensitive to light contrast. (This is due to a response compression of the rod outputs, and not to photopigment depletion by light.) The rod signals therefore disappear in the same way cone outputs do in a ganzfeld effect.

Even so, rods remain active in daylight, even under very bright levels of illuminance. They can affect color appearance by a process called rod intrusion, which desaturates colors, especially at long ("red") wavelengths, in large field or peripheral vision, and under moderate to low levels of illumination."

If you understood the above, I applaud you.

Having spent some time to answer the question "What color, during daytime, is an object that an adult human being perceives as 'purple' after dark" I have come to the conclusion that I am sufficiently ignorant to not be able to answer.

If a person can answer this question please do so. Or if you know someone who can answer it please ask them and let us know.

The purpose is to evaluate Surreys description of a 1963 Ford sedan without plates described as "dark purple" or "dark brown" (bearing in mind that brown is technically not a color, rather a dirty kind of yellow.

Sp the problem here is something to do with cornea yellow translucence, rods, cones, and foveas, and no doubt many other wierd factors.

Did his fovea mean that the plates may have been there but not seen? Was the car actually red or blue or black?

Edited by John Dolva

For what it's worth, here is the VIN decoder for the 1963 Ford Galaxy gotten from this site:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~stanchfi/1963-galaxie-us-id.html

There is more on that page. Enjoy!

Body

Ford 300

53 2-Door Sedan

54 4-Door Sedan

Galaxie

51 2-Door Sedan

52 4-Door Sedan

Galaxie 500

61 2-Door Sedan

62 4-Door Sedan

63 2-Door Hardtop

64 4-Door Hardtop

65 2-Door Convertible

67 500XL 2-Door Hardtop

69 500XL 2-Door Convertible

Station Wagons

72 4-Door, 6 Passenger Country Sedan

74 4-Door, 9 Passenger Country Sedan

76 4-Door, 6 Passenger Country Squire

76 4-Door, 9 Passenger Country Squire

Color

Two-tone paint codes use the same symbols as the single colors except that two symbols are used. The lower body color code will appear first in the Warranty Plate Paint Color Space.

If a special paint is used, the paint color space will not be stamped.

*M-30-J

Code Number Color Sales Name

A 1724 Black Raven Black

D 1451 Med. Turquoise Met. Ming Green

E 1448 Med. Blue Met. Viking Blue

H 1447 Dark Blue Met. Oxford Blue

I 1459 Gold Met. Champagne

J 1515 Red Rangoon Red

M 1238 White Corinthian White

P 1454 Med. Green Met. Silver Moss

T 1543 Honey Beige Sandshell Beige

V 1470 Chestnut Metallic Chestnut

W 1555 Light Pink Met. Rose Beige

X 1444 Maroon Met. Heritage Burgundy

Y 1553 Lt. Blue Glacier Blue

Z 1427 Beige Met. Fieldstone Tan

* "M-32-J" Acrylic Paint Alternate with "M-30-J"

4b5f_1.JPG

JWK

Edited by J. William King

Mr. LIEBELER. The Commission has been advised that you and your father went out to the Sports Drome Gun Range on West Davis at about 8000 West Davis sometime in November, is that correct?

Mr. WOOD. Yes, sir.

Mr. LIEBELER. Can you tell us the date that you went out there?

Mr. WOOD. It was the Saturday before. It was 6 days before the President was killed. It was a Saturday.

Mr. LIEBELER. The Saturday before he was assassinated?

Mr. WOOD. Yes, sir.

Mr. WOOD. No, I didn't. They went into the parking lot. They went around and I heard the car door slam and they took off, but it was a newer model.

Mr. LIEBELER. What kind of car?

Mr. WOOD. It was a Ford, if I remember.

Mr. LIEBELER. About what year would you say?

Mr. WOOD. I don't remember. I just knew it was a newer model car.

Mr. LIEBELER. Was it a convertible or station wagon?

Mr. WOOD. It was a hardtop.

Mr. LIEBELER. A hardtop?

Mr. WOOD. Yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. About this other fellow that this guy was with, was he a big man or just----

Mr. WOOD. About the same size this man was.

Mr. LIEBELER. How tall would you say this man was?

Mr. WOOD. Oh, about 5'9''.

Mr. LIEBELER. About 5'9"?

Mr. LIEBELER. Did you tell the FBI what kind of car it was?

Mr. WOOD. I think I told him, I am pretty sure it was a Ford. That is what I remember, because I like Fords and I remember what a Ford looks like

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/brewer_j.htm

Mr. BREWER - He just looked funny to me. Well, in the first place, I had seen him some place before. I think he had been in my store before

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jfklink.com/articles/Serendipity.html

Johnny Calvin Brewer

Brewer had arranged to have Friday 22nd November 1963 off work and it had been agreed that his assistant would take charge of the shop in his absence. Brewer had not arranged this in order to watch the motorcade. He had just taken delivery of a brand new car - a 1964-model Ford Galaxie XL500 - and it was his intention to spend the day putting it through its paces.

He drove his new car to the shop and in his own words: "It was parked out in front of the store and I was feeding nickels to it all day long, just waiting to get off." (9).

In the case of Johhny Calvin Brewer, we can say in all certainty that had it not been for the sudden illness of his assistant's young child, he would probably have been miles away from Oak Cliff, enjoying his new car, rather than playing a leading role in the arrest of the alleged assassin of the President. Whether his assistant would have taken the same action as Brewer concerning the strange actions of the man in the doorway will never be known!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas H. Purvis Posted Today, 11:33 AM

Johnny Calvin Brewer

Brewer had arranged to have Friday 22nd November 1963 off work and it had been agreed that his assistant would take charge of the shop in his absence. Brewer had not arranged this in order to watch the motorcade. He had just taken delivery of a brand new car - a 1964-model Ford Galaxie XL500 - and it was his intention to spend the day putting it through its paces.

He drove his new car to the shop and in his own words: "It was parked out in front of the store and I was feeding nickels to it all day long, just waiting to get off." (9).

A fairly nice car for a shoe salesman, no?

some more odd notes:

" ...1:04 PM as Helen Markham left the washateria of her apartment house near the corner of 9th & Patton. While walking south on Patton she noticed a police car driving slowly east on 10th Street. One half block in front of Markham, on the opposite side of Patton, cab driver William Scoggins was eating lunch in his cab. Scoggins noticed a man walking west as Tippit's patrol car passed slowly in front of him. Jack Tatum, sitting in his red 1964 Ford Galaxie a block east, noticed the same man turn and walk toward the police car. Tatum turned left onto 10th street and drove slowly west past Tippit's car."

"...Tague in such an isolated position? It was hardly by choice. As mentioned above, he had never intended to view the motorcade. He worked as a car salesman for Cedar Springs Dodge but he had arranged to drive into downtown Dallas to meet his girlfriend (later his wife) for lunch. In his own words: "I accidentally came upon the motorcade.""

"Albert G. Bogard, 41, was found dead in his car near the Mt. Zion cemetery about 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. Dr. L.E. L'Herisson, parish coroner, ruled cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning, self inflicted. The cornoner's report said Bogard was found in his late model car, doors locked, and a white piece of garden hose extending from the exhaust to the left rear window, the switch on.

Dr. L'Herisson said Bogard's parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.T. Bogard, said their son had been ill with flu some few days days before and had been despondent. On Monday night he had come to his parents home to ask them if he could borrow a piece of garden hose. Bogard lived in Shreveport. Funeral arrangements were incomplete Tuesday afternoon pending the arrival of a sister from South Carolina. Rose-Neath Funeral service is in charge.

In the trunk of the car were Bogard's shoes and a stack of newspapers all having headlines about the JFK assassination. The car itself was an overdue rental unit."

Eugene M. Wilson insists Oswald knew how to drive and it was he who walked into the Downtown Lincoln-Mercury dealership to buy a new car on Nov. 2, 1963, not Nov. 9.

The Warren Commission concluded that Wilson and several other salesmen had mistakenly identified Oswald as the man who test drove a red Comet Caliente hardtop several weeks before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

.......... The Warren Commission found the car salesman’s story hard to believe, starting with the

assertion by salesman Albert Bogard that he rode on the passenger’s side as Oswald drove the demonstrator car at speeds up to 75 to 85 miles an hour on the freeway.

............... Oswald was subsequently accused of shooting the assassination rifle from his place of employment, the Texas School Book Depository, only two blocks from the Lincoln-Mercury dealership at Commerce and Industrial"

Johnny Calvin Brewer

Junie needs a new pair of shoes.

Curious statement made by Oswald.

Johnny Calvin Brewer

Junie needs a new pair of shoes.

Curious statement made by Oswald.

hmm....Perhaps "interesting" is an understatement.

Guest Mark Valenti
hmm....Perhaps "interesting" is an understatement.

Brewer was given a major promotion the day before he testified at the WC.

A partial summary:

"Brewer had arranged to have Friday 22nd November 1963 off work and it had been agreed that his assistant would take charge of the shop in his absence. Brewer had not arranged this in order to watch the motorcade. He had just taken delivery of a brand new car - a 1964-model Ford Galaxie XL500 - and it was his intention to spend the day putting it through its paces. This plan was thwarted when Brewer's assistant telephoned him with the news that his newborn infant was ill and that he could not cover for Brewer that day. Johnny Brewer had no option but to come to work after all.

He drove his new car to the shop and in his own words: "It was parked out in front of the store and I was feeding nickels to it all day long, just waiting to get off." "

Tom : Brewer shoe salesman - "Junie needs a new pair of shoes"???

Mark: "Brewer was given a major promotion the day before he testified at the WC"???

"cab driver William Scoggins was eating lunch in his cab. Scoggins noticed a man walking west as Tippit's patrol car passed slowly in front of him. Jack Tatum, sitting in his red 1964 Ford Galaxie a block east, noticed the same man turn and walk toward the police car. Tatum turned left onto 10th street and drove slowly west past Tippit's car"

"...identified Oswald as the man who test drove a red Comet Caliente hardtop several weeks before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.... The Warren Commission found the car salesman’s story hard to believe, starting with the assertion by salesman Albert Bogard that he rode on the passenger’s side as Oswald drove"

"1966 - (Shreveport) Albert G. Bogard, 41, was found dead in his car near the Mt. Zion cemetery about 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. Dr. L.E. L'Herisson, parish coroner, ruled cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning, self inflicted."

"In the trunk of the car were Bogard's shoes and a stack of newspapers all having headlines about the JFK assassination."

Why take shoes off and leave in trunk with a pile of JFK related papers?

deleted

I am a self-confessed skeptic.

This is 'neat'.

"Too" neat, or important attempts at pointing to clues?

IF clues > What does it all mean?

Shreveport - Walker, Ned Touchstone, German Magazine id Oswald as Walker shooter.

New Ford Hardtop -

Drome Firing range Oswald and new Ford hardtop,

Brewer(New Ford Galaxie who led police to theatre),

Tatum New Ford Galaxie: Tippit witness,

Surrey: Dark Ford seen on night of Walker shooting

Shoes -

Junie needs new shoes : Oswalds last words,

Brewer shoe salesman,

Shreveport suicide of salesman who showed car to Oswald, leaving shoes in trunk with JFK papers before suicide.

Shoes, Shreveport, Oswald trail, Ford hardtops?????????????

Edited by John Dolva

I seem to remember some time back Gerry Hemming hinting that there was more to Johnny Calvin Brewer than just being a shoe salesman. I tried a forum search but couldn't find the reference.

BTW, does anyone know if he was related to J.D. Brewer?

James

Okay, found it.

This information below was posted by Gerry Hemming a couple of years ago. Fascinating indeed.

James

The question I raised thereafter, with Oliver Stone, was somewhat inculpatory towards Johnny Brewer. Oliver immediately said that he had just finished one of many conversations with Brewer that very day. I asked [and received no definite response] from Oliver, Rusconi, et al.: What was the timeline from the moment of "confirmation" of the Tippit shooting -- and the time that Brewer either "heard the report on the radio" and/or "heard police? [or fire, ambulance] "SIREN(S)?? [multiple??] ??!!

As far as the "Art Department" [Camelot Project] analyses, ALL police cars racing for 10th & Patton [as opposed to those headed for the Texas Theater some time later] across the Viaduct from downtown Dallas, would have turned "left" [and just short of Jefferson] within a block off of the Viaduct -- and then continued on THE most Direct route to the shooting scene !!

Next we had some observers place themselves in the shopping strip [connecting the "Brewer" store with the Theater -- and awaited the sound of vehicles using the old "Q" type "air-siren", not the newer electronic ones. These sirens were used by all emergency vehicles; police, fire, and ambulance during 1963.

Most critical was the estimated number of responding police vehilces [headed for 10th & Patton] and there spacing and sequence. This "test" showed that even with numerous emergency sirens sounding -- as they turned short of Jefferson, would NOT have been readily heard, even by those who might be standing in front of the Texas Theater !! While those inside of, let's say the "Brewer" shoe store [whose current management was definetly NOT pleased to have us hanging out there] couldn't have heard a siren until the vehicle pulled onto Jefferson Blvd.

That I dared to raise the fact that Brewers kinfolk worked as "Marine Surveyors" for the CIA in Miami during 1960 thru 1965 -- raised some hackles. "...You mean that Brewer might have been complicit and yet he remains here speaking of those events in an open and friendly manner..??!!

Mayhaps it was my tone or the words contained in my response to whomever was the "fool" who asked that question.

I responded: "...Listen Asshole"....I just finished serving 8 years in the chain-gang...and let me set your ass straight...the nicest guys I dealt with on a daily basis...and inside the wire...were serial mass murderers...so don't give me that crap..!!" "...What I'm saying is...if he was just following orders...like awaiting a meeting or something...nothing sinister..and he thought he was just doing his duty or job...your goddamn right he could discuss these matters today...in a calm voice...especially after all these years...!!"

Vewwy Vewwy Intelllesting !!

[...]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Calvin Brewer

[...]

Just out of curiosity, was Brewer's new car "captured" in any of the photos taken during Oswald's arrest?

--Thomas G.

deleted

I am a self-confessed skeptic.

This is 'neat'.

"Too" neat, or important attempts at pointing to clues?

IF clues > What does it all mean?

Shreveport - Walker, Ned Touchstone, German Magazine id Oswald as Walker shooter.

New Ford Hardtop -

Drome Firing range Oswald and new Ford hardtop,

Brewer(New Ford Galaxie who led police to theatre),

Tatum New Ford Galaxie: Tippit witness,

Surrey: Dark Ford seen on night of Walker shooting

Shoes -

Junie needs new shoes : Oswalds last words,

Brewer shoe salesman,

Shreveport suicide of salesman who showed car to Oswald, leaving shoes in trunk with JFK papers before suicide.

Shoes, Shreveport, Oswald trail, Ford hardtops?????????????

Mr. BREWER : I had seen him some place before. I think he had been in my store before