The Education Forum

Curious Document

James, my best guess based on that document and a couple of related ones that I have is that

Sforza was coming out ostensibly to visit his wife but actually to drop off materials on

an exfilitration project that Morales was working. The info was supposed to be dropped through

Phillips in MC that weekend and forwarded ASAP to Morales. It was definitely a hot project and

my best guess at this point is that it pertained to a planned attempt to get Castro's sister

out of Cuba...because of events that was aborted until some time later.

-- Larry

• 1 month later...
I was wondering if anyone has some more details (or an opinion) concerning this document below?

Henry J. Sloman was an alias for Tony Sforza and Choaden was David Phillips.

James

James, Larry,

This is CIA Record 104-10075-10179-Nov.22,63.

Bugliosi has some more information on this in his CDROM sourcenotes in his book Reclaiming History.

Bugliosi sites Peter Kornbluh, in The Pinochet File, as identifiying Sforza as Sloman, and quotes Jim Lesar as explaining how records released under the JFK Act quite convincingly indicate Choaden was David Phillips.

Thanks Larry, for your input on this one too.

Especially interesting in light of what BEA has to say about Sforza and Morales in Zenith Secret.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

BK

Thanks, Bill.

The date is what was really curious to me. There is another document from the same date which has Morales dealing with some stupid boat purchase. Like there was nothing else of importance going on that day.

Nothing like a paper trail which has these guys doing other things far from the events of Dallas.

James

I was wondering if anyone has some more details (or an opinion) concerning this document below?

James

James, Larry,

Bugliosi has some more information on this in his CDROM sourcenotes in his book Reclaiming History.

Bugliosi sites Peter Kornbluh, in The Pinochet File, as identifiying Sforza as Sloman, and quotes Jim Lesar as explaining how records released under the JFK Act quite convincingly indicate Choaden was David Phillips.

Especially interesting in light of what BEA has to say about Sforza and Morales in Zenith Secret.

BK

Yes, indeed. Phillips was the Choaden One.

Incidentally, I don't think you'll find anyone with that surname. I've tried without success. It is however, underground slang for a short, thick penis.

Larry, did the exfiltration project of Morales extend beyond Castro's sister? $6,500 seems like about the right amount needed to set up a safe house...

Edited by Greg Parker

James

James, Larry,

BK

Yes, indeed. Phillips was the Choaden One.

Incidentally, I don't think you'll find anyone with that surname. I've tried without success. It is however, underground slang for a short, thick penis.

Larry, did the exfiltration project of Morales extend beyond Castro's sister? $6,500 seems like about the right amount needed to set up a safe house...

Larry has a lot more on this in the new version of his book that I wish he would share with us.

While David Talbot's book is the most important new book on the Kennedy assassination, it is mainly about the big picture, while Larry's work is equally important but more about the details, especially among the Cubans and mobsters who I sometimes have a hard time keeping track of.

Larry, can you give us some more background on the origin of this doc and do you have anything more on Tony Sforza?

Thanks,

BK

Edited by William Kelly

Bill, one of the things we now know about Sforza is that he operated under deep cover in Cuba for some years after the Castro

revolution...and his primary cover seems to have been as a gambler - possibly using the name Frank Stephens. If so we now

know he was associated with at least one serious Castro assassination attempt - that's one of the new ones I made reference to

in my other Talbot thread post.

Apparently he was deep enough to stay in Cuba even as both Morales and Phillips were compromised and had to get out of the country

before the end of 1959. Morales himself had the bad luck of showing up on a Batista secret police ID list that Castro's intel folks dug up.

It also appears that Sforza was close enough to Morales to actually take over as case officer for the AMOT's after his return;

the AMOTS were Morales personal and very covert exile intelligence service that he kept working in Miami even after the BOP....lots of

new information on that in my book (courtesy of Malcolm Blunt).

In any event, this particular document relates to an exfiltration that Morales was going to organize out of Florida, Sforza was

coming out to Mexico City supposedly on a visit but was to carrying details on the operation that would be passed via

Phillips to Morales. This shows the ongoing cooperation between the two even with Morales in Miami and Phillips in MC.

My speculation given some other background on Sforza is that this particular exfiltration - which was very high profile -

may have been related to getting Castro's sister out of Cuba in support of the AMWORLD project (Phillips was the only officer

in Mexico City cleared for AMWORLD).

On a side note, it's amazing to me in reading Talbot's work to realize how quickly that RFK intuitively understood the mix of

characters who were involved in the Dallas attack. I just wish we could give him what we have now....on the other hand if

we could send it back in time there might really be blood in the streets.