The Education Forum

Lewis McWillie

While doing some research on Lewis McWillie, I came across the following series of events where a couple of familiar names feature.

In 1946, McWillie shot and killed a man by the name of George Arthur McBride who as McWillie said, was trying to rob him. McWillie was interviewed by Bill Decker and then immediately released.

McBride had connections to Las Vegas via a man named Jess Zilliox and to Los Angeles via Alex Gruber (yes, Ruby's friend) who McBride met in early 1942 not long after Gruber moved there. McBride had previously done time in Folsom for robbery.

In 1949, Jess Zilliox dies at age 58 (can't find the cause of death) and Lewis McWillie serves as one of the pallbearers.

Is it me, or is this a strange circle of acquaintances?

McWillie below.

James

Edited by James Richards

While doing some research on Lewis McWillie, I came across the following series of events where a couple of familiar names feature.

In 1946, McWillie shot and killed a man by the name of George Arthur McBride who as McWillie said, was trying to rob him. McWillie was interviewed by Bill Decker and then immediately released.

McBride had connections to Las Vegas via a man named Jess Zilliox and to Los Angeles via Alex Gruber (yes, Ruby's friend) who McBride met in early 1942 not long after Gruber moved there. McBride had previously done time in Folsom for robbery.

In 1949, Jess Zilliox dies at age 58 (can't find the cause of death) and Lewis McWillie serves as one of the pallbearers.

Is it me, or is this a strange circle of acquaintances?

McWillie below.

James

James,

He looks like an upstanding citizen to me. LOL

--Thomas

Thomas,

Oh yeah, McWillie was a real boy scout.

It just struck me there was a strange circle of acquaintances from post WW2 that would find themselves involved in robbery and death. Around the time of McBride's demise, there were several high profile jewelry thefts which involved McWillie's wife (victim) and a close friend of McWillie, a man named Earl Dalton (another victim).

Dalton was a Dallas oilman and the co-owner of the Cipango Club. He was also a close associate of Benny Binion where Dalton ran a gambling house for him just outside Dallas. Dalton was also friendly with Benny Bickers.

Dalton died in 1950 (circumstances unknown to me).

I have been told that Dalton's wife was somehow related to J. Walton Moore but I have not been able to confirm that.

FWIW.

James