The Education Forum

Oh no, not Lucien Sarti again

Steve, I think the sketch (in your post #35) looks a lot like Gordon Novel.

FWIW,

--Thomas

Governor James A. Rhodes, Ohio, was 'in the bag' as far as Hoover and the FBI went...

http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/3/2003/425."

Bob Fitrakis

"Ten days after Governor James A. Rhodes assumed office on January 14, 1963, a Cincinnati FBI agent wrote Director J. Edgar Hoover a memo stating:

“At this moment he [Rhodes] is busier than a one-armed paper hanger...Consequently, I do not plan to establish contact with him for a few months. We will have no problem with him whatsoever. He is completely controlled by an SAC [special Agent in Charge] contact, and we have full assurances that anything we need will be made available promptly. Our experience proves this assertion.”

"FBI declassified material suggests that the Bureau's extensive influence over Governor Rhodes, perhaps due to their knowledge of his ties to the numbers rackets,.."

"A November 19, 1963 FBI memo, again from a Cincinnati agent to Director Hoover, outlines specific allegations from a Bureau’s confidential informant about Rhodes' involvement in the numbers racket between 1936-1938."

"The SAC in charge of the Cincinnati Bureau wrote Hoover on October 9, 1967 to relay a conversation he had with Rhodes three days earlier regarding the civil unrest and riots that had rocked the nation during the summer of 1967. “During the conference, we discussed matters of mutual interest, particularly civil disorders and the high crime rate. The Governor told me that he would extend his full facilities, and he is all for stopping racial discord the moment it starts. He revealed that his plan is to immediately deploy troops and/the state patrol as soon as trouble arises,”

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

"PLAYBOY: Novel subsequently fled New Orleans and took refuge in Ohio. Why were you unable to obtain his extradition?

GARRISON: The reason we were unable to obtain Novel's extradition from Ohio --- .... --- Governor Rhodes of Ohio... has said that he would allow me to extradite Novel to stand trial on charges arising from the CIA-inspired burglary of the ammunitions bunker in Houma, Louisiana --- but that I would not be allowed under the stipulations of the extradition agreement to question him about the assassination! ..."

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall reading that the sketch in question was from a different case not even related to Oswald's. It's in the photo because it was just left there or whatever.

I recall reading that the sketch in question was from a different case not even related to Oswald's. It's in the photo because it was just left there or whatever. [...]

You wouldn't happen to remember where you read about the sketch in question or any of the details, would you Ron?

Just curious,

--Thomas

You wouldn't happen to remember where you read about the sketch in question or any of the details, would you Ron?

I can't remember offhand where I read it, and I wouldn't know now where to look. It may have been on the Lancer forum but that's a guess.

I just looked in the book JFK: First Day Evidence, which has a couple of DPD photos of all Oswald's stuff, but the sketch isn't shown or mentioned.

James,
IMO, Sarti was disinformation with no connection to Laos. Same with the other Corsicans even though it seems Mertz/Souetre/Roux was in Dallas.

James

This has intrigued me from the first time I saw it.

The man circled on the right supposedly is Jean Rene Souetre.

post-669-1178297482_thumb.jpg

I think I just accidentally discovered who the other man in the photo on the right who is in a military uniform.

I think his name is Jacques Vassieux.

Go here:

http://jacques.vassieux.free.fr/modules/my...hoto.php?lid=18

Look at the photo and compare it to the man in the top right of the web page.

What do you think?

Steve Thomas

James,

Steve,

I'm not sure if that is Vassieux but he did claim Souetre was a close friend. Here is a better quality and uncropped version of that photograph.

James

Thank you.

I sent him an email asking him if that was him in the picture and when and where it was taken.

If he responds, I'll let you know.

Steve Thomas

Antti,

That is the same Jim Bill Lair. He was the guy who recruited Tony Poshepny and he also worked close with Ted Shackley. JBL was one of the real good guys, a true patriot and he would have abhorred and indeed spoken out against assassination plans if he knew about them.

IMO, JBL was not involved in any way. He was not the Major Lopez mentioned. I am aware of his identity and he was cut from a completely different cloth.

Even though Souetre was supposedly the man in Dallas that day, I think this was in fact Michel Mertz. I do not believe Mertz was a shooter though. Mertz and Souetre below.

Steve, that identikit image also bears a striking similarity to Ronald Ponce DeLeon who is somewhat of a mystery man post assassination. There was also a man captured on film in the post assassination mayhem that looks remarkably like Ponce. (second attachment)

FWIW.

James

Edited by Herb White

E. Howard Hunt's "confession" via his son includes the info that a Corsican gunman fired the fatal shot from the grassy knoll. So we're back to the Lucien Sarti story. Does this impugn the credibility of Hunt's confession, or does it lend credibility to the Sarti tale?

I have come to doubt that the fatal shot came from the grassy knoll (given the angle, and the better head-on shot from the south), and if Hunt had told of a south-knoll gunman, instead of the Corsican behind the fence, that would have settled it for me.

As it is, I thought that the French connection story had been more or less discredited. Would anyone familiar with it (and anyone else) care to comment?

Having read several books on Sarti and the Corsican Heroin Trade convinced me that it was at least plausible that he was involved in the JFK affair. Hunt's mentioning Cord Meyer, Morales and Phiillips also appears to be a good fit based on my thinking that many of the best assassination books I've read over the years had parts of the story correct. I'd enjoy hearing the opinions of Fonzi, Hancock and a few others as to their take on Hunt's confession.

I listened to the excerpt, which is about six or seven minutes out of twenty and it's pretty convincing for me. I'd like to hear the rest of it.

Craig Roberts, an expert on snipers and shooting, expressed his opinion in the past that he felt the kill shot was a tangential shot from the front/side, which was Badgeman's location. After viewing the headshot in slowmotion dozens or more times I tend to agree. And if one can get a really clear print of Badgeman and compare it to the photo of Lucien Sarti there appear to me to be obvious facial similarities, such as ear, eye and hairline shape.

Here's badgeman whom I believe was a Dallas cop or dressed like one of them. Also, I read on another forum the opinion that badgeman was Officer Tippit. I don't know who posted this. I think this is from another forum, but here's a colorized version of badgeman.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy,

Can you post a photo of Sart to compare?

And for years I have thought there appeared to be someone looking over the right shoulder of hardhat man. Does anyone else think there is another figure there? He actually shows beter in a crisp black and white I believe.

Edited by Herb White

Does anyone else think its just a little strange that Hunt would be invited to join a

conspiract to kill the President, be told who was behind it and the names of several

key people organizing it - then back out and tell the guys no thanks....and not only

not meet with an accident ...but rather also be told the name of the shooter and where

the shooter was going to be recruited?

Don't we usually talk about all this being compartmentalized...not to mention mystery

deaths for people that would only have known a tiny part of what Howard claims to

have known and just walked away ....being trusted to keep it to himself, not leverage it or

to spill the beans when he was out drinking or something (not unknown for Hunt).

-- Larry

Larry,

haven't you, through your research, which I respect enormously, demonstrated that others not only knew many aspects of the plot, but talked about it and lived. If Hunt was a conspirator, with limited knowledge, from the intial stages, at whatever level, he may have learned more of the details over the years through his contacts within the intel community. I certainly don't swallow his alledged story entirely, but it is certainly worth more scrutiny.

Herb

• 1 month later...
Even though Souetre was supposedly the man in Dallas that day, I think this was in fact Michel Mertz. I do not believe Mertz was a shooter though. Mertz and Souetre below.

James

James do you know of an FBI document stating that three persons names 'Mertz' : John Mertz, Irma Rio Mertz and Sara Mertz flew from Houston to Mexico City on November 23rd '63? I don't have the actual document unfortunately - I read about it in Bloody Treason (but it is not reproduced, only briefly summarised) and Noel Twyman gives the reference as coming from Jim Marrs' 'Crossfire' , but looking in there it doesn't give any details about the report. The only bit Tywman quotes from the report says:

"The FBI concluded: "These records contain no further identifying data regarding these individuals."

I have tried looking it up but it is difficult without a record number. I don't think it is on the MF site - I did a search using the name Mertz but it doesn't come up.

I don't know if 'John Mertz' was another alias of Michel Mertz or another person, but coincidentally there was a 'John Mertz' of the CIA in 1963 mentioned in some of the documents relating to Oswald in Russia. I don't know exactly who he was though.

I have not heard of the other two - any idea who Irma Rio Mertz and Sara Mertz are?

Bloody Treason also mentions a 'Michel Roux' being in Fort Worth on 22nd November '63. I managed to find the FBI report for this. It is quite interesting reading. One thing I don't understand though is that the front page of the document states it was last reviewed in 1998 and 'released in full' - but it obviously hasn't been as the names of Roux's mysterious companions are still blanked out.

The bit about Roux begins here on page 22:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=22

Edited by Francesca Akhtar

James do you know of an FBI document stating that three persons names 'Mertz' : John Mertz, Irma Rio Mertz and Sara Mertz flew from Houston to Mexico City on November 23rd '63? I don't have the actual document unfortunately - I read about it in Bloody Treason (but it is not reproduced, only briefly summarised) and Noel Twyman gives the reference as coming from Jim Marrs' 'Crossfire' , but looking in there it doesn't give any details about the report. The only bit Tywman quotes from the report says:

"The FBI concluded: "These records contain no further identifying data regarding these individuals."

I have tried looking it up but it is difficult without a record number. I don't think it is on the MF site - I did a search using the name Mertz but it doesn't come up.

Actually I think I just found it. It carries on from the document I just posted about Michel Roux, on page 25:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=25

It also mentions as well as the three Mertzes, Michel Roux's son Dominique Roux and a 'Viviane H. Roux' also departed Houston for Mexico City via Pan Am. Presumably on the same plane.

As Alice in Wonderland would say it gets 'curioser and curioser'! :rolleyes:

Francesca,

Thanks for posting those links. Very interesting.

The name that jumped out at me was Dominique de Roux who I looked into some time back. From memory he died in either 1977 or early 1978. Reports varied from a heart attack to some kind of strange car accident.

Anyway, what remains unanswered is his connections to a man named George de Lannurian who allegedly met with right-wing Texans just before the assassination.

Roux was also allegedly associated with Jean Souetre through the Aginter Press. Add connections to Gus de la Barre who was supposedly friends with both General Walker and George de Mohrenschildt, and to a man named Jose Luis Romero who was allegedly approached by American intel in Paris to kill JFK, and it seems to me that Dominique de Roux is one individual under researched.

This is him below.

FWIW.

James

Francesca,

Thanks for posting those links. Very interesting.

The name that jumped out at me was Dominique de Roux who I looked into some time back. From memory he died in either 1977 or early 1978. Reports varied from a heart attack to some kind of strange car accident.

Anyway, what remains unanswered is his connections to a man named George de Lannurian who allegedly met with right-wing Texans just before the assassination.

Roux was also allegedly associated with Jean Souetre through the Aginter Press. Add connections to Gus de la Barre who was supposedly friends with both General Walker and George de Mohrenschildt, and to a man named Jose Luis Romero who was allegedly approached by American intel in Paris to kill JFK, and it seems to me that Dominique de Roux is one individual under researched.

This is him below.

FWIW.

James

Thanks for the photo James! I didn't know he was connected to all these people. The fact that he had associations with someone who knew Walker and De Mohrenschildt is very significant I think! I had at first wondered whether the 'friends' who had Roux to stay with them in Ft Worth may have been the DeMohrenschildts but they were in Haiti weren't they at the time of the assassination? Also I don't think the other facts don't fit. I wonder who on earth they were?

It is a shame he died fairly soon after. He wasn't due to testify to the HSCA just before was he? Sounds a bit like yet another suspicious witness death. Sudden heart attack or a strange car accident on an empty stretch of road with no other cars around, as seems to happen often in the case!

Dominique Roux sounds an interesting character to look into further.

A couple of comments for Herb and for Francesca,

Herb, I'm certainly not entirely discounting Hunt at this point....we are going to have speakers in Dallas in November who should

be able to add a good deal to the origin of Hunt's comments, prior to St. John's involvement, and that will be quite

important. I'm skeptical about a couple of the names such as Meyer, that almost strikes me as something from one of Hunt's

novels....jilted CIA husband kills wife's lover...who happens to be President.

However, the Corsican involvement is still open to further exploration. As I recall, French intelligence was the source for the alibi's

for a couple of the names tossed out on that and of course the SDECE is never going to admit assets they once used in any fashion

could even potentially be involved. It is important to recall that Hunt was well acquainted with Lucian Conein and if anybody was in

position to shop a hit to the Gurini family it would have been Conein or one of the other old CIA vets of the SE Asia golden triangle.

For those of you who have my book, I would recommend rereading the chapters on the Kirknewton intercept...which very well could

have involved some drug network gossip about a Gurini or Venturi contract... as well as the final chapter on a small clique in the CIA

which definitely suggests some names from SE Asia who had the right connections to bring in Corsicans.

It's early days yet...much to learn about all this. Larry