The Education Forum

Oh no, not Lucien Sarti again

By sheer coincidence I was just thumbing through Lamia, by P. L. Thyraud de Vosjoli (the title was his code name), published by Little, Brown in 1970.

The author claims to have spent 20 years in the French intelligence apparatus, culminating in Washington, where he served as de Gaulle's intel chief in charge of coordinating liaison between the services of his and other NATO countries.

The book is interesting for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its references to "Action," the SDECE (Service de Documentation Esterieure et de Contre-Espionage -- France's CIA, which, by the by, was statutorily prohibited from operating domestically) special operations group responsible for wet work.

M. Lamia was rabidly anti-Gaullist, and his memoir should be read with all due caution.

Then move on to Henrik Kruger's The Great Heroin Coup: Drugs, Intelligence, and International Fascism, published in the U.S. by the South End Press in 1980 (originally titled Smukke Serge og Heroinen when published in Denmark in 1976). There you can read at length about the Ben Barka affair and enjoy a revealing, pre-Steve Rivele review of Christian David, Lucien Sarti, the Guerinis, and their merry cohorts.

Kruger's volume is essential.

Charles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By sheer coincidence I was just thumbing through Lamia, by P. L. Thyraud de Vosjoli (the title was his code name), published by Little, Brown in 1970.

The author claims to have spent 20 years in the French intelligence apparatus, culminating in Washington, where he served as de Gaulle's intel chief in charge of coordinating liaison between the services of his and other NATO countries.

The book is interesting for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its references to "Action," the SDECE (Service de Documentation Esterieure et de Contre-Espionage -- France's CIA, which, by the by, was statutorily prohibited from operating domestically) special operations group responsible for wet work.

M. Lamia was rabidly anti-Gaullist, and his memoir should be read with all due caution.

Then move on to Henrik Kruger's The Great Heroin Coup: Drugs, Intelligence, and International Fascism, published in the U.S. by the South End Press in 1980 (originally titled Smukke Serge og Heroinen when published in Denmark in 1976). There you can read at length about the Ben Barka affair and enjoy a revealing, pre-Steve Rivele review of Christian David, Lucien Sarti, the Guerinis, and their merry cohorts.

Kruger's volume is essential.

Charles

For those who are interested in the ostensible French connections to the assassination, you may want to read this post I just made under Michael Mertz, related to Paul Mondolini.....See

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6540

Thanks for the photo James! I didn't know he was connected to all these people. The fact that he had associations with someone who knew Walker and De Mohrenschildt is very significant I think! I had at first wondered whether the 'friends' who had Roux to stay with them in Ft Worth may have been the DeMohrenschildts but they were in Haiti weren't they at the time of the assassination? Also I don't think the other facts don't fit. I wonder who on earth they were?

It is a shame he died fairly soon after. He wasn't due to testify to the HSCA just before was he? Sounds a bit like yet another suspicious witness death. Sudden heart attack or a strange car accident on an empty stretch of road with no other cars around, as seems to happen often in the case!

Dominique Roux sounds an interesting character to look into further. (Francesca Akhtar)

Francesca,

I was pondering that trip this mysterious couple took to Paris in October of 1963 where they met Roux. It might be worth mentioning that at the same time, Richard Nixon was in the French capital on behalf of his New York law firm. He arrived on about the 18th and gave a speech on the 24th at an American Club Luncheon.

As to the couple, pure speculation here, but maybe a look at T. Baxter Turpen might be worthwhile. He was a Fort Worth resident and Nixon supporter. I'm not suggesting anything sinister here but establishing if the Turpen's were in Paris during this time period might be a good start.

As to Dominique de Roux, I do not believe the HSCA were looking at him but his death is one of those that does make one raise an eyebrow.

James

Francesca,

I was pondering that trip this mysterious couple took to Paris in October of 1963 where they met Roux. It might be worth mentioning that at the same time, Richard Nixon was in the French capital on behalf of his New York law firm. He arrived on about the 18th and gave a speech on the 24th at an American Club Luncheon.

As to the couple, pure speculation here, but maybe a look at T. Baxter Turpen might be worthwhile. He was a Fort Worth resident and Nixon supporter. I'm not suggesting anything sinister here but establishing if the Turpen's were in Paris during this time period might be a good start.

As to Dominique de Roux, I do not believe the HSCA were looking at him but his death is one of those that does make one raise an eyebrow.

James

James, that is very interesting! I was not aware of this. I have not heard of T Baxter Turpen (unusual name!) but thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can find on him.

• 9 years later...

My current thinking is that all tactical Dealy Plaza perps had to be Anti-Castro Cubans who had been sheep-dipped as, and holding credentials as being Communist Cubans. Of course, they would not have been taken alive.

This supports my working pet-theory found here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/23710-did-the-oil-armaments-guys-double-cross-the-anti-castro-cubans/

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

Does anyone know if Joe Marshall Smith was ever questioned at length after the Warren Commission? Shown pictures of possible people that could have had phony SS credentials?

Jeff,

CD 205 p. 39.
http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10672#relPageId=42

U.S. Attorney Barefoot Sanders speaks of receiving a telephone call from a reporter who had interviewed Smith.
It also says that two FBI Agents had interviewed Smith. You could try running their names down and see if they filed any reports.

There's a Jackie Jura, who has a web page, 
http://www.orwelltoday.com/jfkpicketfencesmithpoliceman.shtml

in which she wrote:

“Ronnie Dugger, editor of THE TEXAS OBSERVER, questioned Smith, and the officer told Dugger that he had gone directly to the area behind the fence”. 

You could try and see if Dugger is still alive, or if his article can be found.

Joe Smith died in 1983:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=56885285

Steve Thomas

Thank you, Steve.

I know this is off topic of the thread, but this is a person that got a good look at, talked to, and even, if my memory serves correct, looked at cars in a parking lot with, someone that should ignite a lot of interest. His testimony is in the WC. Why was there no follow up? Where were the others later on...Garrison, HSCA, and investigators/researchers/journalists that believed that there was most assuredly a conspiracy? I could be mistaken, and there is some follow up, but I have never read it.

"He had on a sports shirt and sports pants.
But he had dirty fingernails, it looked like, and hands that looked like auto mechanic's hands.
And, afterwards, it didn't ring true for the Secret Service.
At the time we were so pressed for time and we were searching.
And he had produced correct identification and we just overlooked the thing.
I should have checked the man closer, but at the time, I didn't snap to it."

Someone that gets a good look at another man's hands probably got a good look at his face, skin tone, noticeable scars, accents, eyes, shoulder width, and a hundred things that I am probably missing. It surprises me that the three tramps got so much attention in the 60's, but a police officer that spoke to a man that was posing as a Secret Service agent in close proximity to a spot that a lot of individuals thought shots were fired from, wasn't questioned more. Again, I could be way off here, for I am but a novice.  

I remember reading somewhere that the man posing as SS whom Smith encountered may have been Bernard Barker (of Watergate fame). But I don't remember on what, if anything, that was based.

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

but a police officer that spoke to a man that was posing as a Secret Service agent in close proximity to a spot that a lot of individuals thought shots were fired from, wasn't questioned more. Again, I could be way off here,... 

Jeff,

No, you're spot on.

And Ron, I think that's Seymour Weitzman you're thinking of.

Steve Thomas

52 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

And Ron, I think that's Seymour Weitzman you're thinking of

Right, thanks. I remember now, I think he identified Barker from a photo of him.

3 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Right, thanks. I remember now, I think he identified Barker from a photo of him.

THEORY: BARKER IN DALLAS ON NOVEMBER 22, 1963?

When Michael Canfield visited Dallas in April 1975 he interviewed Seymour Weitzman, who was in a home for aged veterans. Seymour Weitzman had a nervous breakdown in June 1972 - shortly after Watergate. He requested that his doctor, Charles Laburda, be present during the interview. Seymour Weitzman told Michael Canfield he had encountered a Secret Service Agent in the parking lot who produced credentials and told him everything was under control. He described the man as being of medium height, dark hair and wearing a light windbreaker. Michael Canfield showed him photographs of Watergate burglars STURGIS and BARKER, and asked him if either of these men resembled the "Secret Service Agent" he had encountered on November 22, 1963. He pointed to BERNARD BARKER. He told Michael Canfield: "I can't remember for sure, but it looked like him. Couldn't swear it was him though...anyway so many witnesses are dead...two Cubans once forced their way into my house and waited for me when I got home. I had to chase them out with my service revolver...I feared for my life." A recent JFK Records Collection Computer search revealed that one page of a Warren Commission document that dealt with Seymour Weitzman and the tramps was referred to another agency for review. [NARA 180-10095-10367; see 180-10095-10355] When the HSCA attempted to question Seymour Weitzman, Dr. Charles Laburda objected: "Since Mr. Weitzman was treated for emotional illness for many years...information sought from him should be extracted from his testimony and depositions made at that time [1963 to 1964]." [ltr. VA Laburda 6.1.78] Seymour Weitzman, born January 28, 1922, died in July 1985.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Rich Pope said:

I spoke with a CIA officer and he said that E. Howard Hunt was the worst xxxx there ever was.  However, people behave differently when they are on their death bed.  Hunt got LBJ correct, Cord Meyer correct, David Morales correct, William Harvey correct and David Atlee Phillips correct.  Why should we doubt Lucien Sarti?  

I’m very open to outsourced assassins, French or other. But how can you speak with authority that Hunt got it right? Maybe he did, maybe not. What is your source?