The Education Forum

JFK's proposal to Jackie at Martin's Tavern is "legend" no more

JFK’s proposal to Jackie at Martin’s Tavern is ‘legend’ no more
Washington Post
June 23, 2015
By Emily Heil

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2015/06/23/jfks-proposal-to-jackie-at-martins-tavern-is-legend-no-more/

[When I was a student at Georgetown University from 1956-60, I dined frequently at Martin's Tavern on Wisconsin Avenue not far from the campus. After JFK and Jackie got married they lived in a Georgetown-type house on N St, halfway between the Tavern and the university.

[in the Watergate case in 1972, a person that I learned later was retired NYPD detective Anthony Ulasewicz was assigned by John Dean to recruit me to pass "hush" money to the defendants. He suggested to me on the phone that we meet at Martin's Tavern to discuss the matter. Jerome Powell, the managing partner of the law firm for which I worked, nixed the idea immediately and said that if the unidentified person who was calling me on the phone had anything legitimate to discuss, he should come to our law firm to do so. I turned down Ulasewicz's offer in a telephone conversation over the July Fourth holiday in 1972. After the "hush" money scandal broke in the spring of 1973, I told the prosecutors that had the meeting gone forward at Martin's Tavern, I would have ordered its oyster stew, which was so delicious I remember it to this day.]