The Education Forum

Forum Hacked

Overnight yesterday the forum was hacked, malicious code was added resulting in the spreading of nasty viruses and trojans to anyone who navigated onto the site.

We believe that this has now been repaired and new security settings have been put into place. However I am not counting any chickens and would urge members and users to proceed with caution for the time being.

Please report to me any ongoing problems and issues you have having with the forum

The Forum has now been cleaned. It seems that there is a security weakness in the validating process. We have therefore decided to change the way people become members. In future, to become a member, people will have to send me an email with a biography and a photograph.

johnsimkin45@yahoo.co.uk

Any clues as to who did it and why?

Not really. However, we have been posting some interesting information about some powerful people in the Republican Party recently. For example, Robert Gates, Michael Deaver and Roger Ailes. The fact that my pages on these people have reached the first page of Google has not helped.

Any clues as to who did it and why?

No.

I know that the iframe of the forum was hacked overnight. I know also that other IPB forums suffered a similar fate.

I suspect but don't know that the problem happened because of the relatively "open" member registration process we have and have closed that particular loophole.

I feel that it is unlikely that our problems have much to do with the contents of this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first time I've tried to get on to the forum for quite some time due to the recent problems. My PC froze and became infected with viruses so I steered clear for a while. Hopefully, the new measures will keep the forum safe from any future attacks. Keep up the good work John and Andy.