The Education Forum

West Ham's New Signings

John Simkin

I was surprised that O’Neill wanted Reo-Coker. He has a tremendous engine but technically he has not improved over the last two years. He gives away far too many free-kicks and his passing is appalling.

I am not happy about the arrival of Bellamy. I can see him causing a lot of problems at the club. I really dislike players who play with a snarl on their face. He is also over-priced. I cannot understand how his value has increased during his time at Liverpool. The only time he has shown good form has been when he was playing for Hughes at Wales and Blackburn.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gary Loughran
I was surprised that O’Neill wanted Reo-Coker. He has a tremendous engine but technically he has not improved over the last two years. He gives away far too many free-kicks and his passing is appalling.

I am not happy about the arrival of Bellamy. I can see him causing a lot of problems at the club. I really dislike players who play with a snarl on their face. He is also over-priced. I cannot understand how his value has increased during his time at Liverpool. The only time he has shown good form has been when he was playing for Hughes at Wales and Blackburn.

Agreed on Reo-Coker and happy with the £8.5 million also. His first touch and passing are not up to PL standards IMO. O'Neill will try to turn him into a Neil Lennon/Robbie Savage type player. Someone who burns up a lot of energy breaking up play in the middle and gives it to the better players to play football. I think he'll excell in this role under O'Neill's guidance.

Jury's out on Bellamy. However, as I don't see West Ham cotrolling games I think an energetic striker is needed to close the opppostition defenders down. He has pace and really isn't a bad forward. His temperment is suspect I agree, but it's been a while since we had a tenacious forward. Dave Cross....?

Jury's out on Bellamy. However, as I don't see West Ham cotrolling games I think an energetic striker is needed to close the opppostition defenders down. He has pace and really isn't a bad forward. His temperment is suspect I agree, but it's been a while since we had a tenacious forward. Dave Cross....?

Hope you are right as the BBC have just posted this:

West Ham have completed the signing of striker Craig Bellamy from Liverpool for a club record £7.5m.

The 27-year-old Wales captain has signed a five-year contract.

Bellamy spent just one season at Liverpool and has left the Anfield club after their summer signings of forwards Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin.

The ex-Norwich, Coventry and Newcastle striker had joined Liverpool from Blackburn for £6m and scored nine goals in 42 appearances.

West Ham United FC - top ten transfers

1. Craig Bellamy £7.5m (Liverpool, 2007)

2. Dean Ashton £7m+ (Norwich, 2006)

3. Scott Parker £7m (Newcastle, 2007)

4. Matthew Upson £6m+ (Birmingham, 2007)

5. Julien Faubert £6m (Bordeaux, 2007)

6. Tomas Repka £5.5m (Fiorentina, 2001)

7. Luis Boa Morte £5m (Fulham, 2007)

7. Don Hutchison £5m (Everton, 2000)

9. Freddie Kanoute £4m (Lyon, 2000)

10. David James £3.5m (Aston Villa, 2001)

Guest Gary Loughran
West Ham United FC - top ten transfers

1. Craig Bellamy £7.5m (Liverpool, 2007)

2. Dean Ashton £7m+ (Norwich, 2006)

3. Scott Parker £7m (Newcastle, 2007)

4. Matthew Upson £6m+ (Birmingham, 2007)

5. Julien Faubert £6m (Bordeaux, 2007)

6. Tomas Repka £5.5m (Fiorentina, 2001)

7. Luis Boa Morte £5m (Fulham, 2007)

7. Don Hutchison £5m (Everton, 2000)

9. Freddie Kanoute £4m (Lyon, 2000)

10. David James £3.5m (Aston Villa, 2001)

Phew, You'd have to look at Roeders signings there as the outstandingly bad ones. Repka & Hutch £10m...James £3.5m. Hutchinson was a waste, Repka was bad until he was moved to his normal position of right back by Pardew, where I thought he came reasonably good. But then Roeder had spent a whole summer promising us a centre half and didn't want to let us down I suppose.

James was injured IIRC sliding collision and didn't play too many games in his first season.

Kanoute was an outstanding buy. Still would be.

Positions 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 are all Curbs buys at a cost of £31.5m+. A lot of money. Will we see a payback? I reckon 10th would be a realistic/good season.

Phew, You'd have to look at Roeders signings there as the outstandingly bad ones. Repka & Hutch £10m

I agree about Repka and Hutchinson. I still have nightmares about Repka's debut at Blackburn. For several weeks he refused to come to West Ham. His unwillingness to come to London was shown in his performances. I thought he was the worse centre-half I have ever seen in the West Ham team. I did not think he was much better as a full-back. He made too many mistakes during games.

According to the BBC website : "Liverpool have agreed a fee with West Ham for Yossi Benayoun, according to the Israeli international's agent. BBC Sport understands a £4m transfer will be finalised for the 25-year-old West Ham midfielder on Wednesday." The Guardian says the fee is £5m. I would think that is more accurate than £4m.

West Ham face competition from Monaco for the signature of Cameroon midfielder Achille Emana, 25. (Daily Mirror)

West Ham striker Marlon Harewood is set to seal a £3.5m move to Birmingham after passing a medical at St Andrews on Wednesday. (The Sun)

Actually, Wigan are going to get Harewood for £3.7m - and his arrival will push Henri Camara closer to the exit door. (Daily Mirror)

West Ham target Stephen Appiah has blasted Fenerbahce for blocking his £5m move to Upton Park. (The Sun)

West Ham will swoop for £4m-rated Newcastle winger Kieron Dyer after new signing Julien Faubert was ruled out for six months. (Various)

Fifa will decide whether West Ham should release Carlos Tevez from his contract so he can join Manchester United. (Daily Mirror)

Guest Stephen Turner

John, I suspect Man Utd will soon be inflating your transfer budget by a further £25-30 million. Good work if you can get it.

Although how much you will have to hand over to Tevez's former owners is anyone's guess. Carlos Tevez, the best paid slave in history. B)

BTW, I some times post on a United forum, Red Cafe, when I suggested that United should distance themselves, at least for the time being from all things Tevez, MPI, P/L and Ammers, I became public enemy number one. As Nero said "They dont wany liberies, give them circus's

Edited by Stephen Turner

Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg is set to join West Ham for either £3m (Daily Mail), £3.5m (The Sun), £4m (Daily Express) or £5m. (Daily Mirror)

This seems a very strange decision. On the evidence of last season Ljungberg is well past his best. Worst signing this season in my opinion.

Guest Gary Loughran
Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg is set to join West Ham for either £3m (Daily Mail), £3.5m (The Sun), £4m (Daily Express) or £5m. (Daily Mirror)

This seems a very strange decision. On the evidence of last season Ljungberg is well past his best. Worst signing this season in my opinion.

Less than £3m rising to £3.5m if all clauses are fulfilled. He is launching a clothes brand and wants to stay in London to support this.

Your last sentence totally sums up my thoughts too. Maybe he has still some fire in his belly (captain of Sweden still with some good recent performances). Going by his statements after signing he does seem happy that West Ham view him as an important player integral to their short term plans. Hopefully we'll get something from him.

If Faubert doesn't get hurt this transfer wouldn't have happened. I suppose we should be thankful that a short term replacement has been brought in.

Dyer linked also, oh dear. Explosive talent, injury prone, a bit of a moaner/big time Charlie, maybe Bowyer will do him right this time if we sign him LOL :D

Dyer linked also, oh dear. Explosive talent, injury prone, a bit of a moaner/big time Charlie, maybe Bowyer will do him right this time if we sign him LOL :blink:

Apparently he wants to move for family reasons. In other words, he is attracted to the bright lights of London. Wants to visit a few hotels with his Chelsea friends.

If Dyer could recapture his early form he would be a good signing. But it is a big "if".

Guest Gary Loughran
West Ham have bid a club-record £12m for Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka. (Daily Mail, Independent)

Curbs definitely likes a challenge. Where will he play Ashton?

I don't believe the Anelka story..and what a challenge, indeed.

I am not counting on Ashton being ready to lead the line until closer to Halloween/Christmas. Don't get me wrong he could start the season, but he'll not be effective for a while.