The Education Forum

Rhys Jones Poem

John Simkin

The father of murdered 11-year-old Rhys Jones, who was shot as he walked home after football practice, has written a poem dedicated to his son.

Now god wanted a football match and to play it up in heaven, but first he needed players and select his first eleven.

Georgie Best, big Brian Labone, the legend Dixie Dean Alan Ball and Bobby Moore, all ll made it in the team

He needed one more player, some one who would be quick from up above he looked down and saw Rhys there in his kit

So Rhys was taken up above God took him by the hand to play the game he loved so much, where sponsorship is banned

There is no cheating either as God is the referee. There are no mega wages and the transfers they are free

The games are live on telly, you don't have to subscribe. The players all stay on their feet cos no one takes a dive

So Rhys plays now so happily to the angels in the crowd and every time he hits the net they roar his name so loud

Have fun my little blue boy, your'e safe and in God's care till its time for me to get my boots and join with you up there.