The Education Forum

Thomas Woods and JFK

John Simkin

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the History of America by Thomas E. Woods is a bestseller in the United States. It has been plugged by right-wing talk shows and is now in the top ten of the New York Times bestseller list. Woods is a member of the League of the South organization. The book claims that early settlers treated native Americans with respect, buying rather than stealing their land, Abraham Lincoln was a tyrant, the real heroes of America were the Southern Confederates, FDR deepened the economic misery of the 1930s, Senator Joseph McCarthy was right and that President Kennedy’s politics were no better than his morals.

I had the displeasure of being around the genesis of the Southern League which was subsequently renamed the League of the South.  I have not heard of the book or the individual, but the League of the South is simply a buttoned down version of a right wing hate group.

The real problem is that there is now a campaign for this book to be used in American schools as a history textbook. I would be interested to know how this book treats the JFK assassination and the Civil Rights movement.