The Education Forum

West Ham

John Simkin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotation on BBC website:

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believed luck played a part in his side's victory.

"I'm delighted with the final result and the performance of the players," said the Spaniard.

"Sometimes you cannot score goals after 30 attempts - as against Charlton - but here every time we shot it was a goal.

"We have quality. The strikers are really good, and in this case we had a lot of luck."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/4831306.stm

Liverpool's real luck was to be drawn against Birmingham City.

Hopefully such luck will continue on Friday and we might draw the other mediocre premiership team left in the tournament :pop

Hopefully such luck will continue on Friday and we might draw the other mediocre premiership team left in the tournament :tomatoes

Semi-final draw:

Chelsea v Liverpool

Charlton Athletic or Middlesbrough v West Ham

Games to be played on Saturday 22 April/Sunday 23 April.

It was West Ham who got the luck. Does anyone know that if it is a West Ham v Chelsea final, will West Ham be in Europe even if they lose?

Hopefully such luck will continue on Friday and we might draw the other mediocre premiership team left in the tournament :lol:

Semi-final draw:

Chelsea v Liverpool

Charlton Athletic or Middlesbrough v West Ham

Games to be played on Saturday 22 April/Sunday 23 April.

It was West Ham who got the luck. Does anyone know that if it is a West Ham v Chelsea final, will West Ham be in Europe even if they lose?

Then I definitely want to hear Mourinho moaning on the weekend of 22/23 April, "The Best Team Lost. . ."

Benitez and Mourinho

A study in contrasts: the Portuguese firecracker,

the loud bang and fizz in the night, all show,

and the steady Spanish Catherine wheel,

showering sparks in a streaming rain.

So Mourinho bragged and mugged

how his Champion team would

sweep the series -- before Stevie and boys

won the toothsome tie at Stamford Bridge

-- then his team would win at Anfield, for sure,

the Reds think they've won, but my team will show them.

And now? Ungracious in defeat: "The best team lost."

Chelsea falls at the hurdle again; the Reds go to Istanbul.

Christopher T. George

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Christopher T. George 2005

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4501277.stm

BBC Sports, May 3, 2005

All teams that win cup competition need a certain amount of luck (look at Liverpool last season).

Liverpool appear to have been "lucky"again :tomatoes

Ah, Andy, Andy, I suppose we were lucky to knock out Manchester United too? Chelsea's next for the drop. They've already got their trophy in the bag. Now's the time for us at Liverpool to secure ours.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

What a nice rhyme from Chris :lol:

Poor old West Ham :(

They now are destined to face a rather mediocre Middlesborough side in the semi final of the FA Cup.

Having watched Middlesborough beat Charlton this evening it is very clear that though mediocre they possess more than enough to see off the Hammers :lol:

They now are destined to face a rather mediocre Middlesborough side in the semi final of the FA Cup.

Having watched Middlesborough beat Charlton this evening it is very clear that though mediocre they possess more than enough to see off the Hammers B)

You must have been watching a different game to me. Middlesborough had their problems earlier in the season but clearly are not a mediocre team (as they have shown by getting into the semi-finals in Europe as well as the FA Cup). On current form Middlesborough will win. All we can hope for is being at our best on the day.

Having watched Middlesborough beat Charlton this evening it is very clear that though mediocre they possess more than enough to see off the Hammers B)

You must have been watching a different game to me. Middlesborough had their problems earlier in the season but clearly are not a mediocre team (as they have shown by getting into the semi-finals in Europe as well as the FA Cup). On current form Middlesborough will win. All we can hope for is being at our best on the day.

I think Middlesborough have "been lucky" :(

I think Middlesborough have "been lucky" :lol:

Not as lucky as Liverpool last year. :ph34r:

I would pay good money for two Cup Final tickets (one for the "partial pundit" Simkin and one for myself) should a Liverpool V West Ham final become a reality :lol:

It was announced yesterday that John Lyle has died. As Ron Greenwood died earlier this year, this means that the managers of all our four cup triumphs have been lost within the last few months. I wonder if this is symbolic. Maybe West Ham is destined to be cup winners this year.

John Lyle received his education from Ron Greenwood and Cassettari’s, a family-run Italian café near Upton Park. After training the players would go to Cassettaris to discuss football tactics. The Cassettari Academy produced the following outstanding football managers and coaches: Malcolm Allison, Noel Cantwell, Ken Brown, John Bond, Dave Sexton, Andy Nelson, John Cartwright, and Frank O’Farrell. This will not mean much to young members of the Forum as only one student of the Cassettari Academy has not been put out to grass, Harry Redknapp.

Greenwood would send out his players to coach in East End schools. He thought the best way to learn was to teach. This became very competitive as the players were permanently assigned to these schools. It also produced a system where local schools provided a stream of talented young footballers. This included Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Trevor Brooking, John Sissons, etc. Therefore, when they won the Cup Winners Cup in 1965, 10 of the 11 players were products of its youth system.

Lyall joined West Ham straight from school. He was sent to train young kids in Stepney. He played for England at youth level but unfortunately he suffered a serious knee ligament injury when he was 18. He spent the next three years in and out of hospital but eventually played for West Ham’s first team at fullback. Two years later, the same knee went again and he was forced to retire at the age of 23.

West Ham gave him a part-time job working in the wages department at Upton Park. Every afternoon he coached the youngsters at his assigned Stepney school. Greenwood later appointed Lyle as his assistant and in 1974 replaced him as manager.

Alan Pardew was a West Ham fan when he was at school. Since becoming manager he has attempted to create the same spirit that West Ham enjoyed in the 1960s. This has included buying players like Teddy Sheringham and Bobby Zamora who were also West Ham fans when they were children living in London. Great attempts have been made to make West Ham into a club that reflects the local community.

It is of course difficult to compete with the financial resources of clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

However, if football teams, like schools had “value added” league tables I know where West Ham would be.