The Education Forum

The Republic National Bank

I kept that suspicion to myself up to now, but on finding a clearer copy of Hart's report, I thought it was time to see what others think. The report I had originally seen was mostly illegible, and the name of the person who assisted Hart with his inquiries at the Republic National Bank could not be read. As the clear version linked to above shows however, this person was in fact Lee Drain, brother to FBI agent Vince.

Added to that is that there seems to be no trace of anyone (not Johnson, not Curry, not Revill, not Gannaway and not Hart) being questioned about these allegations by the WC or HSCA, leaving both Johnston's statement to the FBI and Hart's possibly less than rigorous investigation of it, untested as to accuracy and veracity. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

An interesting sidebar here. In October of 1975, Detective Hart was working as an Intelligence Lieutenant with the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Security Force. He was found dead in a Fort Smith hotel room while on assignment in Arkansas. There were no visible signs as to the cause of death and getting the Fort Smith coroner's report has proved most difficult.

I guess it's just another one of those strange deaths from the mid to late 1970's.

Hart below.

James

Edited by James Richards

..amazing...do you mind, James, if I ask how large your photo collection is...of how many persons [approx.]?! or is my classification rating not high enough to know.... (Peter Lemkin)

Peter,

I haven't actually counted but it would be in the many thousands.

As to David L. Johnston (have gavel will travel), there might be a tie in here between his so-called confidential source, Lee Drain and the Republic National Bank. That individual may be Paul Amos Sandblom who appears to have been connected to Drain and a man named Johnny Sierra (an insurance agent) who allegedly commited suicide in early 1964.

Johnston claimed Sierra's death a suicide very quickly after his body was found in his vehicle which was locked in the family garage. Sierra suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. Johnston claimed that Sierra was depressed after the financial collapse of Sandblom and his businnesses in which Sierra had invested heavily.

Drain, Sandblom, Sierra and the Republic National Bank have a commonalty but the absolute proof of personal association has yet to be found. Rumors are that Sierra became aware of what was going on with the bank and paid the price.

David L. Johnston below.

FWIW.

James

Interesting. I assume you reversed the date of the FBI interview [European/Australian?] style.

Peter, yes... unintentionally.

The DPD and Sheriff are however above reproach in their investigations...cough, cough. Again, I know of the instance I alluded to prior of a payment to an operative in the form of a 'loan' [which did not have to be, and never was, repaid] in about 1968 - don't have the exact documents at hand. Other mentions on larger scales are abundant....look at Nugan/Hand to name just one....for operations and for payments to individiuals. One would have to ask, however, why anyone would have paper [a loan or phony loan agreement] when cash leaves no trail...but perhaps to 'explain' the sourse of the new money if visible to others.

That's one explanation. You provided another in the "two questions" thread when you said of the example you know of, "Lastly, it strikes me that as 'nice' a deal this kind of free interest free loan with no repayment is/was, had 'they' wanted for 'cause' they could have crucified the receiver....it was very cleverly drafted."

According to a letter dated July 10, 1978, purportedly from a private citizen named Grace B Vale, Frankhouser, claimed that the Paines took Oswald to New York to attend an international scientific meeting at which he met Oswald. Such a meeting did take place in September held by the The United States affiliate of the Comite International de l'Organisation Scientifique, the host to the International Management Congress, as it was called, was the Council for International Progress in Management. Those on the advisory board included David Rockefeller, Henry Luce and James W Aston. In his 1964 book, Dallas Public and Private: Aspects of an American City, Warren Leslie said of Aston, "there are a few men, whose support in any

civic project is an absolute necessity. Among them [are]...James Aston, head of the Republic National Bank...

The bankers are present not only because of the personal influence of the men but because in any civic project the bank 'clearing house,' an organization of all Dallas banks, must approve ... Without the banks... the project is dead." Aston was on the board of American Airlines, Lone Star Steel and the Texas Research Foundation. He was also a trustee of Hoblitzelle Foundation which, acording to The Politics of Apolitical Culture: The Congress for Cultural Freedom, the CIA and post-war American Hegemony, this foundation was used as a conduit by the CIA to channel $430,700 into CCF coffers. (Greg Parker)

James Aston was also a close friend to the Dallas Police Department. The Republic National Bank handed out scholarships to police officers for special training; Jack Revill being one such recipient.

Aston's benevolence also included offering employment within the bank's public relations department to retiring officers.

James Ashton and Jesse Curry below.

James

According to a letter dated July 10, 1978, purportedly from a private citizen named Grace B Vale, Frankhouser, claimed that the Paines took Oswald to New York to attend an international scientific meeting at which he met Oswald. Such a meeting did take place in September held by the The United States affiliate of the Comite International de l'Organisation Scientifique, the host to the International Management Congress, as it was called, was the Council for International Progress in Management. Those on the advisory board included David Rockefeller, Henry Luce and James W Aston. In his 1964 book, Dallas Public and Private: Aspects of an American City, Warren Leslie said of Aston, "there are a few men, whose support in any

civic project is an absolute necessity. Among them [are]...James Aston, head of the Republic National Bank...

The bankers are present not only because of the personal influence of the men but because in any civic project the bank 'clearing house,' an organization of all Dallas banks, must approve ... Without the banks... the project is dead." Aston was on the board of American Airlines, Lone Star Steel and the Texas Research Foundation. He was also a trustee of Hoblitzelle Foundation which, acording to The Politics of Apolitical Culture: The Congress for Cultural Freedom, the CIA and post-war American Hegemony, this foundation was used as a conduit by the CIA to channel $430,700 into CCF coffers. (Greg Parker)

James Aston was also a close friend to the Dallas Police Department. The Republic National Bank handed out scholarships to police officers for special training; Jack Revill being one such recipient.

Aston's benevolence also included offering employment within the bank's public relations department to retiring officers.

James Ashton and Jesse Curry below.

James

James, I got the impression that Connie Trammell got a job with a PR firm located in the bank building, but perhaps it actually was the banks own PR dept? As noted in a previous thread on Trammell, her two references for the job with Hunt included one Dallas cop, with the other bloke ending up in a career in law enforcement in Arkansas. Just more grist for the mill, I guess...

And once again... thanks for another sensational photo. (Twins indeed, Peter!)

James, I got the impression that Connie Trammell got a job with a PR firm located in the bank building, but perhaps it actually was the banks own PR dept? As noted in a previous thread on Trammell, her two references for the job with Hunt included one Dallas cop, with the other bloke ending up in a career in law enforcement in Arkansas. Just more grist for the mill, I guess... (Greg Parker)

Greg,

I emailed Connie Trammell some time back asking her what I think are some important questions but she has yet to reply. A little frustrating to say the least as I think the mill has enough grist.

Keep up the good work.

James

Greg,

In case you missed it, there was a thread on Storey some time back.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...G\.+Storey

FWIW.

James

Thanks James. Didn't know about it. Had only limited access to a computer back then due to paying for all my sins by living temporarily with the in-laws. Good thread. It also goes into the subject of my next thread: SMU.

Edited by Greg Parker