The Education Forum

David Talbot : Federal Reserve Board

Question from Thaddeus Kochanny:

I read the book. Interesting elements in it too. I looked in vain for any reference to the Federal Reserve Board's involvement in the JFK murder.

The President had intended to buy back from the Federal Reserve and return to the Treasury Department the "right" to control the money supply and interest rates. Soon after coming to this decision he was murdered.

Seems to me that since the Federal Reserve System benefited most, long term, its involvement should have been discussed.

I read the book. Interesting elements in it too. I looked in vain for any reference to the Federal Reserve Board's involvement in the JFK murder.

The President had intended to buy back from the Federal Reserve and return to the Treasury Department the "right" to control the money supply and interest rates. Soon after coming to this decision he was murdered.

Seems to me that since the Federal Reserve System benefited most, long term, its involvement should have been discussed.

John

I agree that the Federal Reserve System should have been looked into further. Perhaps

it was in a clandestine way. However, Jim Marrs in his book, "Crossfire," does discuss the

Fed. He devotes only a couple of pages, starting on page 274 under the heading, "A Killing On Wall Street."

Bill C

"Seems to me that since the Federal Reserve System benefited most, long term, its involvement should have been discussed."

John, if there's anyone who's been shouting from that particular soapbox for years, it's been me. Therefore, I couldn't be in more agreement, on that note.

On one hand, I thought Talbot's book was more slanted towards Bobby, his behind the scenes control and administration of his brother's campaign, career, and general all-around "hard ball - hard scrabble" methods of handling domestic policy, which I concluded was necessary when dealing with the mindset of the U.S. populace, in particular. It's the only way they understand, or seemed capable of accepting. And, Bobby had his hand on its pulse at that time in history.

JFK, on the other hand, seemed to be the more polished and worldly of the two brothers, possessing far better foreign policy insight and diplomacy than Bobby. At least, that's part of the gist I gleaned from the book.

It was also brought to my attention by a couple of author and writer friends of mine, about the lack of forensic examination afforded in Talbot's book. Which I quickly pointed out was not what the book was supposed to be about, from what I had gathered in reading it. And, also why I felt it was more an account of RFK and JFK's domestic and foreign policy during JFK's term in office, and how this may have led to a culmination of probabilities surrounding the reasons why the assassination was contracted, rather than an examination of the mechanics involved in the assassination, itself.

I think the Federal Reserve angle is a red herring & has nothing to do with President Kennedy's assassination.

According to The Money Masters by Bill Still (http://tinyurl.com/2reh2s) JFK merely reissued Lincoln's greenbacks in 1963, which was a routine matter. In 1994 the Regal Act was introduced in the US to replace President Lincoln's (US Treasury) Greenbacks with debt based (Federal Reserve) notes. Now they're almost gone.

Still gives a talk here (http://tinyurl.com/2uout7) where he emphatically debunks the theory that JFK was trying to bypass the Fed.

Of course we have to decide whether or not we believe Still, but I find him and his info credible and consider the Federal Reserve angle a dead end. There was no shortage of people and institutions with motives; this may be one of the few cases where there was none.

However, JFK was trying to bypass the World Bank/IMF in giving economic aid to developing nations...

(Source: Battling Wall Street.) I consider that very significant.