The Education Forum

West Ham v Liverpool

John Simkin

Injuries to central defenders, Ferdinand, Gabbidon and Collins suggest that West Ham will have a tough time this evening. We are also missing Tevez, who has the ability to create chances, even if so far he is unable to take them. Logic says that West Ham will lose to Liverpool. However, logic said that Arsenal and Manchester United would have beaten us this season. Maybe we can scrape another 1-0 win tonight.

Maybe we can scrape another 1-0 win tonight.

No chance. If Liverpool play like they did against Chelsea with Kuyt and Crouch up front against inadequate central defenders I predict West Ham 0 Liverpool 5

No chance. If Liverpool play like they did against Chelsea with Kuyt and Crouch up front against inadequate central defenders I predict West Ham 0 Liverpool 5

You may be right but I hope you are as accurate as you were about the Ashes. I think you said England would win 5-0.

You may be right but I hope you are as accurate as you were about the Ashes. I think you said England would win 5-0.

I feel a great deal more confident about this prediction

West Ham have a poor record against Liverpool (most teams in fact)...I do fear a big, bad result. :-(

We were lucky to get away with a 2-1 score. In truth, there is not one West Ham player who would get into Liverpool's squad. I could not understand why Curbishley left it for so long before changing it. I can't say I have been impressed so far with his management style. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Rumours suggest that Darren Bent might be coming in but Curbishley denies that a deal is in the offering (in exchange for Harewood, Mullins, Konchesky plus a great deal of money). He has clearly identified the troublemakers and wants them out.

Guest Gary Loughran

I suppose secretly I was hoping we'd do another Arsenal/Man Utd. I've waited to post so I can do so more rationally than I might have earlier.

Quashie and Reo-Coker have 2 tricks - getting it and losing it - their passing is atrocious. It's hard to judge the effectiveness of Harewood and Cole because no-one really bothered giving them a decent ball all night. Carroll was like a rabbit in the headlights every time the ball was played back. Davenport and Dailly - don't start me.

Curbs management style!!!! - what about his signings, he had 3(4th sub) new signings out last night and none were better than what we already had at those positions i.e Boa Morte - Etherington, Davenport - Gabbidon/Ferdinand/Collins (injuries I know but why not draft in a reserve), Quashie - Mullins/Mascherano - Kepa scored so jury is out on him. Neil is slightly above average full back and Upson is decidedly average.

I fear if he attracts any more 'top class' players and we get relegated, then the burden of these huge wages will be damaging. Curbishley was never going to be a great pick anyway. He wasn't exactly inundated with offers during his time away, he's never managed a half way big name player, plays route 1 and obviously never kept in touch with the game during his hiatus.

We could still survive, but the best we will ever be under Curbs is a workmanlike side, occasionally punching above our weight. This is not what Magnusson had/has in mind. I really don't know how all this will play out. But I am not excited!!!

West Ham have a poor record against Liverpool (most teams in fact)...I do fear a big, bad result. :-(

We were lucky to get away with a 2-1 score. In truth, there is not one West Ham player who would get into Liverpool's squad. I could not understand why Curbishley left it for so long before changing it. I can't say I have been impressed so far with his management style. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Rumours suggest that Darren Bent might be coming in but Curbishley denies that a deal is in the offering (in exchange for Harewood, Mullins, Konchesky plus a great deal of money). He has clearly identified the troublemakers and wants them out.

Liverpool had to perform very poorly in the last 15 minutes last night for West Ham to look anything like a premiership team. Defensively they were extremely poor and going forward far too predictable. I am amazed at their rapid downward spiral in the last few months. The biggest problem I as an outsider would highlight is the fact that they do not appear to play as a team - where has that team spirit that saw them play so well last year culminating in the cup final gone??

The other big worry for West ham is their fans - "we want our money back" is not an encouraging chant.

I was also disgusted by the dog's abuse Stephen Gerrard received from the West Ham contingent every time he took a corner. Much of this is of course predictable in a football match but I have it on good authority from friends who were in the crowd last night (West Ham end) that it was particularly and markedly vile.

Gerrard is the man let us not forget is the man who at the end of the FA Cup final went out of his way to walk over to the West Ham end on his own with the FA Cup to applaud the contribution of the West Ham supporters and who wrote and said some very complimentary things about the team and their support after the final.

Maybe a trip to the lower leagues is what such support deserves?

Guest Gary Loughran

Andy as a matter of fact, Steven Gerrard states in his autobiography, at some length, that apart from Liverpool, West Ham fans are the best fans he has ever encountered anywhere in the world.

Going as far as to add, that he accepts the abuse, as part of the game (paraphrasing here), but that ultimately they appreciate good football and there is a mutual respect.

Sadly the rest of your post is on the money. Not playing as a team is one thing, not having the talent to even play as individuals is another.

I live in hope especially now we've just bought the vastly overrated Matthew Upson for £6 million initially rising to anywhere from 7.5 to 9 depending on where you read. Curbishley is absolutely squandering money on mediocrity. I have to reiterate that he must not have kept pace with the game during his hiatus. He is woefully unaware of players, perhaps this is a bigger indictment on the Hammer's scouting network. I just don't now anymore....where's the rope!!!!! :-)