The Education Forum

West Ham United and the local community

John Simkin

In the days of Ron Greenwood the entire West Ham squad was put into pairs and they were assigned to local secondary schools. They coached the school football team. The players became very competitive as they attempted to make their team the best in the area.

The scheme had several advantages. As school kids we appreciated the efforts being put in by the players and we all became loyal supporters (as did most of our dads). It was an ideal way to show that the club was playing an important role in the community. The players were able to spot youngsters with outstanding talent. The players also learnt a great deal about playing football (the best way to learn is to teach). This is the main reason why so many of them went on to become managers and coaches. It also gave them a sense of their responsibility to the community.

In the days of Charlie Paynter (1932-1950) the players were encouraged to use public transport when travelling to the ground in order to keep in contact with the community they served.

I know we cannot go back to those days but I think it is possible to devise a scheme that reflects these community values. I would love West Ham to introduce a similar scheme today. I am sure everyone concerned would benefit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gary Loughran
In the days of Ron Greenwood the entire West Ham squad was put into pairs and they were assigned to local secondary schools. They coached the school football team. The players became very competitive as they attempted to make their team the best in the area.

The scheme had several advantages. As school kids we appreciated the efforts being put in by the players and we all became loyal supporters (as did most of our dads). It was an ideal way to show that the club was playing an important role in the community. The players were able to spot youngsters with outstanding talent. The players also learnt a great deal about playing football (the best way to learn is to teach). This is the main reason why so many of them went on to become managers and coaches. It also gave them a sense of their responsibility to the community.

In the days of Charlie Paynter (1932-1950) the players were encouraged to use public transport when travelling to the ground in order to keep in contact with the community they served.

I know we cannot go back to those days but I think it is possible to devise a scheme that reflects these community values. I would love West Ham to introduce a similar scheme today. I am sure everyone concerned would benefit.

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in posting in this. West Ham is indeed an exceptional community club - I've seen some recent events such as going to local hospitals and the asian scheme the club runs - but neither has the same impact I'm sure.

From the Redknapp and Brooking books I gather that an additional activity seemed to prepare players to become managers. That is the willingness of an extraordinary number of players to go to the local cafe or club training ground to discuss football in general with club staff. It seems, like the bootroom, a genuine love of all aspects of the game was required; is that perhaps why there is a lack of players coming through as managers at the club. Martin Allen, Ince, Ray Stewart, Alvin martin??, Dowie - have all went on to manage (off the top of my head) - but I'm struggling to think of recent instances of even players going into coaching.

The players who've been let go by West Ham such as Freddy Eastwood, Jimmy Bullard and I'm not really sure how Richardson ended up at United - perhaps doesn't help. From the awesome FA youth winning side a couple are now at Swansea, players I thought wouldv've had outstanding careers at West Ham. Not to mention Cole, Lampard, Ferdinand sr, Defoe (sort of) & Ward. Brooking accepted relegation and was inspirational in our return to top flight football - does this kind of loyalty exist anywhere now?? Only Noble and Ferdinand really represents the local youth at the club in the senior side now - which is sad. Ephraim at QPR looks alright, I really hope he comes good for us.

Curbs is starting to sound like the bad days of Redknapp and the 'bare bones' excuses - though he is a lot more justified :) - It's thankful that Ashton pulled up before England duty, as I've no doubt he'd have done a worse injury, had he not done so. He is nowhere near fit and my previous Halloween point must be extended to Christmas before a fit Ashton is visible. Carlton Cole on his own front then?? :D

Added on edit - I should add that a fit again Tompkins and, possibly, Kyle Reid might make an impact at senior level.

Edited by Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Harry Redknapp (A closet follower of WHUFC posts on the forum, perhaps) is today blaming the lack of young English talent on the 'X-Box culture'. He cites the local park kick around has given way to the X-Box and other computer games, leading to a reduction in young lads playing footy. I think elements of both the above posts are covered in Harry's comments.

" Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp insists Premiership managers are being forced to go offshore for talent because there is no longer the quality running around in England's junior leagues.

"I'm fed up with managers being made scapegoats for the state of our domestic game," he said in his column for The Sun. "The English working class is turning its back on football - and that is not my fault.

"I do have a lot of foreign players at Portsmouth but believe me I'd love nothing more than to field a team of 11 so-called 'home-grown' lads born within the city limits.

"But it has become harder and harder to find enough kids of the kind of quality required to make the grade without buying an air ticket."

Redknapp added: "It may sound old and corny but when I was growing up, working class lads like me in the east end lived and breathed football.

"Now I rarely see a kickabout in the park. All I see are the dazzling lights of bedroom windows from the glare of TVs and computers. It seems football cannot compete with an X-Box."

The former West Ham and Southampton boss suggests that players from poverty-stricken parts of Africa are now the ones with the motivation needed to be successful in the game.

"Maybe they have the hunger and drive that working class boys of England had 30 years ago but now is replaced by video game passion," he said. "