The Education Forum

Peter Brabrook and Joe Cole

John Simkin

There is an interesting article about Peter Brabrook in this month’s Hammers News. For those younger supporters, Brabrook was one of our best players in the 1960s.

In recent years, Brabrook has had serious problems with his knees. This is a common problem for footballers when they reach later life (I know because I have the same problem myself). He visited the hospital and was told he needed to have “knee replacement surgery”. As people will know there is a long waiting list for this treatment on the NHS. Footballers in the 1960s were not paid well and Brabrook could not afford to go private yet he was now finding it difficult to get around (he works as a part-time scout for the Hammers). His daughter contacted the PFA to ask if they could help. Shortly afterwards Joe Cole phoned Brabrook. He had been told by the PFA about his problem and insisted that he should be allowed to pay for the cost of the operation. The operation was a success and Brabrook is now back on his feet. As Brabrook told the Hammers News: “You hear lots of negative stories about the way young footballers spend their money, but what Joe did for me was incredible.”

I thought Carlton Cole gave an immense performance against Spurs. His first touch is excellent, he holds the ball up well, he is good in the air and is faster than most of the centre-backs he faces. His shooting has improved although it is still probably the weakest part of his game. On current form, he is good enough to play for England.

Despite only playing in nine games Cole is equal top in assists in the Premier League this season. The striker has laid on six goals, the same as Cesc Fabregas.