The Education Forum

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

John Simkin

Review of National Treasure: Book of Secrets:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/re...ltreasure2.html

The reviewer is concerned by the reference to the JFK assassination:

We live in a time when many people believe in some pretty outrageous conspiracy theories, and films like these have fun with that mindset but may also reinforce it, in a way. The "Book of Secrets" alluded to in the movie's title turns out to be a scrapbook that is passed on from one president to another, and no one else is allowed to read it—and according to FBI agent Peter Sadusky (Harvey Keitel), this book contains information on the John F. Kennedy assassination and various other alleged conspiracies. In an age of increasingly vocal so-called 9/11 "truthers," is this an attitude that ought to be encouraged?

We live in a time when many people believe in some pretty outrageous conspiracy theories, and films like these have fun with that mindset but may also reinforce it, in a way. The "Book of Secrets" alluded to in the movie's title turns out to be a scrapbook that is passed on from one president to another, and no one else is allowed to read it—and according to FBI agent Peter Sadusky (Harvey Keitel), this book contains information on the John F. Kennedy assassination and various other alleged conspiracies. In an age of increasingly vocal so-called 9/11 "truthers," is this an attitude that ought to be encouraged?

I'm not surprised that a writer for a publication titled "Christianity Today" would have a problem with this or any other Book of Secrets that isn't the New Testament.

Religions (the "organized" is understood) are not concerned with "truth." They sell "revelation." And never the twain shall meet.

Humankind descended from monkeys ... hmmm ... In an age of increasingly vocal so-called evolutionary "scientists," is this an attitude that ought to be encouraged?

Religion is simply politics by other means. Ask Mike Huckabee; imagine getting caught in his One True Crossfire (how about that Christmas ad, replete with crucifix)!

I consider myself to be a spiritual man. I accept the reality of the Divine Presence. I attempt -- and almost always fail -- to emulate Gandhi, who said, "I am a Muslim and a Hindu and a Christian and a Jew and so are all of you."

Like the countless wars waged in its countless names, religion is a racket.

Remember Woody Allen's take on a classic concept: "If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, He'd never stop throwing up."

I'm not surprised that a writer for a publication titled "Christianity Today" would have a problem with this or any other Book of Secrets that isn't the New Testament.

Religions (the "organized" is understood) are not concerned with "truth." They sell "revelation." And never the twain shall meet.

Humankind descended from monkeys ... hmmm ... In an age of increasingly vocal so-called evolutionary "scientists," is this an attitude that ought to be encouraged?

Religion is simply politics by other means. Ask Mike Huckabee; imagine getting caught in his One True Crossfire (how about that Christmas ad, replete with crucifix)!

I consider myself to be a spiritual man. I accept the reality of the Divine Presence. I attempt -- and almost always fail -- to emulate Gandhi, who said, "I am a Muslim and a Hindu and a Christian and a Jew and so are all of you."

Like the countless wars waged in its countless names, religion is a racket.

Remember Woody Allen's take on a classic concept: "If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, He'd never stop throwing up."

Agree 100% Charles. And I can't believe Huckabee's a serious contender--a genuine bible bashing fruitcake. Mmm..wait a minute, there's one already in the White House--serving his second term!

I changed my mind. I believe it.