The Education Forum

Update on RFK Audio Presentation

CBS Washington Bureau will cover Press Conference taking place 4 PM Eastern. After conference, one on one interview with Philip Van Praag (assuming, I was told "the guy"). Interview and video will be fed to Los Angeles bureau and KCBS. Story will be put together from interview and file footage; then sent back to CBS network New York for distribution to affiliates.

A call to your local CBS affiliate may be all the imputus they need to run the story on tonight's (probably 11pm) news. I'm not sure if CBS network news (Couric's show) will have this story today.

Edited by Frank Caramelli

CBS Washington Bureau will cover Press Conference taking place 4 PM Eastern. After conference, one on one interview with Philip Van Praag (assuming, I was told "the guy"). Interview and video will be fed to Los Angeles bureau and KCBS. Story will be put together from interview and file footage; then sent back to CBS network New York for distribution to affiliates.

A call to your local CBS affiliate may be all the imputus they need to run the story on tonight's (probably 11pm) news. I'm not sure if CBS network news (Couric's show) will have this story today.

I missed this yesterday. Did anything come of this? CBS has been the WORST on this case. Did Couric cover this???

Dawn

I missed this yesterday. Did anything come of this? CBS has been the WORST on this case. Did Couric cover this???

Dawn

Phil Van Praag and Robert Lessing did a presentaion in D.C. yesterday concerning their findings with the acoustic evidence. Due to some time mix -ups and the fact that the scientists only did the presentation and not the press conference, KCBS -L.A. was left with a short "voice over" story summarizing the "up to thirteen shots" discoveries. It was not fed to affiliates and to my knowledge not run on Couric's Evening News. I'm not a Couric fan either and don't watch her, even though she's a button push away every evening in my edit bay! At any rate - I am working on a story for my stations (KCBS/KCAL -L.A.) on the new acoustics evidence to be aired soon; also a comprehensive piece for the fortieth anniversary. I am hoping to get a couple of eyewitnesses who have not yet told their stories.

As far as your comment on CBS being the worst - I'm not defending them; they did partake in some whitewashes in the sixties and seventies. I wouldn't say they were any worse than NBC or ABC though, both of whom did generally less reporting. Here in L.A. -Pete Noyes, was always cutting edge (RFK,Manson) and I believe was the true "first" on running Zapruder on television; so there has been one bright spot in the CBS company. Carry on.

Phil Van Praag and Robert Lessing did a presentation in D.C. yesterday concerning their findings with the acoustic evidence. Due to some time mix -ups and the fact that the scientists only did the presentation and not the press conference, KCBS -L.A. was left with a short "voice over" story summarizing the "up to thirteen shots" discoveries. It was not fed to affiliates and to my knowledge not run on Couric's Evening News. I'm not a Couric fan either and don't watch her, even though she's a button push away every evening in my edit bay! At any rate - I am working on a story for my stations (KCBS/KCAL -L.A.) on the new acoustics evidence to be aired soon; also a comprehensive piece for the fortieth anniversary. I am hoping to get a couple of eyewitnesses who have not yet told their stories.

Phil Van Praag and Robert J Joling have co-authored a new book entitled An Open & Shut Case.

http://www.anopenandshutcase.com/index.php/biography/

Phil Van Praag and Robert Lessing did a presentaion in D.C. yesterday concerning their findings with the acoustic evidence. Due to some time mix -ups and the fact that the scientists only did the presentation and not the press conference, KCBS -L.A. was left with a short "voice over" story summarizing the "up to thirteen shots" discoveries. It was not fed to affiliates and to my knowledge not run on Couric's Evening News. I'm not a Couric fan either and don't watch her, even though she's a button push away every evening in my edit bay! At any rate - I am working on a story for my stations (KCBS/KCAL -L.A.) on the new acoustics evidence to be aired soon; also a comprehensive piece for the fortieth anniversary. I am hoping to get a couple of eyewitnesses who have not yet told their stories.

As far as your comment on CBS being the worst - I'm not defending them; they did partake in some whitewashes in the sixties and seventies. I wouldn't say they were any worse than NBC or ABC though, both of whom did generally less reporting. Here in L.A. -Pete Noyes, was always cutting edge (RFK,Manson) and I believe was the true "first" on running Zapruder on television; so there has been one bright spot in the CBS company. Carry on.

Another researcher told me that CBS has the "other" film. Everyone has a price. Someone must know where the vault is that holds that film. If only someone at CBS would go and take the film and bootleg it all over the place.

Kathy

Another researcher told me that CBS has the "other" film. Everyone has a price. Someone must know where the vault is that holds that film. If only someone at CBS would go and take the film and bootleg it all over the place.

Kathy

I've never heard that one; that CBS has the "other film". To me the most viable "other" film would be the one shot by The Babushka Lady/Beverly Oliver. I do know a film was shot by a WFAA crew, of JFK being gurneyed into the hospital; it would have shown the head wounds, but was confiscated by "FBI". Houston Hall, NBC Network cameraman, SF (during the eighties) told me that one. He was a grip for FAA at the time, I think he was about eighteen.

As far as other films as well as known films, I've checked the libraries of every station I've worked for over the years and haven't ever found even a frame of anything that everybody else doesn't have or know about. One thing I do kick myself about though is this. Years ago the station I still work for had a poor quality B&W dub of Nix. Not so intriguing in itself, but for the ink spots! That's right, it looked like somebody sat down with some india ink and one of the old stencil sets; and using the little triangles and squares, made some obvious censures of the dub. Grassy knoll and north portico both had little sloppy blotches, five or six of them. Original Nix I believe is still accounted for . Interesting how that film was widely circulated in B&W before people (like me) even knew it was shot in color. The blotches would be interesting as to what the blotter thought (or knew) they were hiding. Also, way back, I had a Zapruder dub that contained no "cone" or "spike", that probable skull fragment that shoots skyward in frames 315 & 16. It would be nice to trace the evolution of the dubs of these films over the years, the bootlegs etc. Though there are more pressing areas of research.

So yeah, as an editor and former cameraman, I'm always snooping around for any stray film. Imagine how I felt in '91, being hired by KCAL (L.A.) and working in the same studio Citizen Kane was shot in. Me and my pals were after the keys to the third floor closets for months before we got a look inside. Third floor RKO had over time, the offices of Howard Hughes, Orsen Wells, Lucille Ball. The closet? A huge extractor fan, like twelve feet tall. Some scraps of wood maybe used on set for "Touch of Evil". Me and my buds later found out from some of the people at Paramount that every closet on the lot has been gone through, you know lost reels of "Greed" and all that. So yeah, I'm on the lookout. Did a lot of scrounging when we moved from Hollywood to Studio City last year.