The Education Forum

Lark Rise to Candleford

Well this has been a bit of an eye-opener. It is very well acted and has quite modern plot-lines.

The last episode had a local teacher sacked by the school board for being left wing. I was quite amused when someone intercepted a parcel of books, took out The Communist Manifesto, read the first line "A spectre is haunting Europe, the spectre of Communism" and said "I don't think ghost stories are quite appropriate!"

Anyway I think if they were going to sack yours truly for being left wing they have left it a bit late in the day.

It was a surprise to me because I read the book when I was at school, about the same time as I read the Communist Manifesto for the first time in fact, and haven't thought about it since.

It is good isn't it?

Guest Stephen Turner
Well this has been a bit of an eye-opener. It is very well acted and has quite modern plot-lines.

The last episode had a local teacher sacked by the school board for being left wing. I was quite amused when someone intercepted a parcel of books, took out The Communist Manifesto, read the first line "A spectre is haunting Europe, the spectre of Communism" and said "I don't think ghost stories are quite appropriate!"

Anyway I think if they were going to sack yours truly for being left wing they have left it a bit late in the day.

It was a surprise to me because I read the book when I was at school, about the same time as I read the Communist Manifesto for the first time in fact, and haven't thought about it since.

It is good isn't it?

Surprisingly watchable, Not quite up to ITVs flagship Heartbeat, obviously :lol: