The Education Forum

Dutch Test Top Secret Weapon

Guest David Guyatt

I love that clip!

The original was actually a Trident SLBM launch. It can be found

In some ways, however, it has a basis in reality.. and more fiction.

If you remember the Gerry Anderson productions series UFO, it had a submarine with a fighter aircraft on the bow - Sky 1. It launched like that.

Also, during WWII the Japanese experimented with having aircraft kept in hangars on submarines. The sub would surface and the aircraft would be catapulted off. Not that successful, and only about 3 of them were built IIRC.

Guest David Guyatt
I love that clip!

The original was actually a Trident SLBM launch. It can be found

In some ways, however, it has a basis in reality.. and more fiction.

If you remember the Gerry Anderson productions series UFO, it had a submarine with a fighter aircraft on the bow - Sky 1. It launched like that.

Also, during WWII the Japanese experimented with having aircraft kept in hangars on submarines. The sub would surface and the aircraft would be catapulted off. Not that successful, and only about 3 of them were built IIRC.

Thanks Evan. I suspected it may have been a faked over SLBM launch because of the height at which the rocket kicked-in. I also figured that since drones can be sub launched in a similar manner -- for all sorts of covert missions -- there would be no compelling need for an F-16 (or whatever it was) to be in that role.

But you never know, eh.