The Education Forum

Dallas Police Sidearm circa 1963

Does anyone have any information in regard to the standard issue sidearm for the DPD at the time of the assassination? I have searched for an answer to this, and there are many articles that talk about sidearms of the DPD. None specifically state what that sidearm was in 1963.

TIA,

Mike

Does anyone have any information in regard to the standard issue sidearm for the DPD at the time of the assassination? I have searched for an answer to this, and there are many articles that talk about sidearms of the DPD. None specifically state what that sidearm was in 1963.

TIA,

Mike

This is not an area of my expertise, but it is my impression that many policemen

use a handgun of their preference of certain specifications. I have seen Fort Worth

police with a variety of sidearms I think...but most common is is the Colt .45

automatic. Some appear to be smaller than that. I believe that uniforms and certain

gear may be personally owned, since a uniform store used to be next to my office

and they sold FW police uniforms to approved personnel. They also had a gun display

case full of sidearms. But I am no expert on this.

Jack

Jack

Thanks Jack I had not thought about that possibility. DPD very well could have had a parameter policy, and only required sidearms to meet their qualifications.

Mike

Mike,

Jack is right. DPD General Orders stipulate that

A list of service pistols by serial number owned by members of this Department is kept on file in the Personnel Office.

It is the responsibility of each member of this Department to see the information on file concerning his service pistol is complete and current.

Whenever a member of this Department sells, trades or disposes of his service gun in any manner, he should make an immediate report to the Personnel Officer. Should he obtain another gun, he should immediately fill out a new form and turn it in to the Personnel Officer. CD 1283.

Your post prompted me to look into what Tippit used, leading to something that may be worth further follow-up. Will post on that soon.

Thanks Jack I had not thought about that possibility. DPD very well could have had a parameter policy, and only required sidearms to meet their qualifications.

Mike

Mike,

Jack is right. DPD General Orders stipulate that

A list of service pistols by serial number owned by members of this Department is kept on file in the Personnel Office.

It is the responsibility of each member of this Department to see the information on file concerning his service pistol is complete and current.

Whenever a member of this Department sells, trades or disposes of his service gun in any manner, he should make an immediate report to the Personnel Officer. Should he obtain another gun, he should immediately fill out a new form and turn it in to the Personnel Officer. CD 1283.

Your post prompted me to look into what Tippit used, leading to something that may be worth further follow-up. Will post on that soon.

Thanks Greg,

My initial thought was the "misidentification of the auto cartridges". I personally do not see how one could mistake them. Especially if one carried a revolver, or an auto for that matter, daily.

Mike