The Education Forum

Justin Q. Olmstead

I teach in the social science department at Winfield High School in Winfield, Kansas. Because of the make-up of the U.S. school system I also coach soccer. My current teaching assignments cover American History, the U.S. Constitution (Government), and Middle East Studies. I am also in the process of creating on-line courses in American History and Middle East Studies for my school district.

I am currently working on my masters degree from Emporia State University through a grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education. Actually my grant is almost up and I have begun the process of searching for a new grant to help defer the costs of graduate work. Before joining the education field I worked as the Director of Development for several different non-profit childrens organizations, and before that I worked as a fundraiser and scheduler for several democratic political campaigns in Kansas. I also worked for the Kansas House Minority Leaders Office.

Not being able to sit still for very long, I also own a small cow/calf operation and together with my wife we own a hair salon. We have three beautiful children: Jared 14; Chandler (girl) 4; Caleb 3. And no, Jared was not planned. My wife and I also recently completed the building of a new house on our ranch and are still in the process of figuring out where things are.