The Education Forum

What's up with this?

Duke Lane

Is there a way to turn off the "thread view" and return to the previous "page view" of the forum? It's nice, I suppose, for some people to be able to follow a thread according to its responses, but to have to click three, four or five times to read even a short thread is counter-productive, and a real pain in the rear. I don't like it at all.

Oh, nevermind: I found it. Anyone else running across this, it can be changed using the Options button at the upper right of the topic or message. That makes the change universal.

Edited by Duke Lane

Is there a way to turn off the "thread view" and return to the previous "page view" of the forum? It's nice, I suppose, for some people to be able to follow a thread according to its responses, but to have to click three, four or five times to read even a short thread is counter-productive, and a real pain in the rear. I don't like it at all.

Oh, nevermind: I found it. Anyone else running across this, it can be changed using the Options button at the upper right of the topic or message. That makes the change universal.

Go to Options on the top right-hand side. Then select from the three types of "Display Modes".

Go to Options on the top right-hand side. Then select from the three types of "Display Modes".

John, is there somewhere we can go to get an explanation of the three modes?

"Standard" mode is displayed in the same "default" way the entire forum had displayed in the past, with posts appearing sequentially as they were posted.

"Outline" mode displays a "tree" of the thread, with the ability to click on the replies to particular messages, but with many or most of them hidden, and not all of them(?) visible when you click on them.

The "linear" mode seems to combine both display methods above, with the sequence of appearance being the order that replies to the each message were posted, but as yet I haven't been able to determine whether replies to replies are posted under the message they are replies to, or if there's some other methodology in this view.

Can you offer any insights?