Houston, Texas 77024

713-867-3476

email: douglascaddy@justice.com

April 26, 2010

President Barack Obama

The White House

Washington, D.C. 20600

Dear President Obama:

New evidence has emerged recently that the Watergate burglars were set-up by Washington, D.C. Police Detective Carl Shoffler. Robert Merritt, a Confidential Informant for the police who reported directly to Shoffler, informed him of the planned break-in on June 2, 1972, two weeks in advance of the arrests. Shoffler, a military intelligence agent assigned to the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, then used wiretap triangulation that he had been taught by the National Security Agency to set-up the burglars, whom he arrested on June 17, 1972. The unique relationship between Merritt and Shoffler was first explored by Jim Hougan in his 1984 best-seller book, Secret Agenda, on pages 320-322.

The new evidence about Shoffler’s prior knowledge of the break-in is revealed in great detail in the new book, Watergate Exposed: A Confidential Informant Tells How the Burglars Were Set-up and Reveals other Government Dirty Secrets, by Robert Merritt as told to Douglas Caddy, Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven.

Attached is a copy of my March 20, 2010, letter to Senator Christopher Bond requesting that the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence investigate the role of Intelligence Agencies in the origins of Watergate, as well as their domestic spying and civil liberties abuses then and today.

By means of this letter I am requesting that you communicate to Senator Bond and the Senate Intelligence Committee of your desire that the committee fully investigate the matter of the Intelligence Agencies’ prior knowledge of the break-in in its entirety and let the chips fall where they may. Such a unifying gesture on your part would have the dramatic effect of building bridges to rank-and-file Republicans and other concerned citizens, especially if this were coupled with an invitation to President Nixon’s two daughters to visit the White House in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Douglas Caddy

[Forum Note: My March 20, 2010 letter to Senator Bond was posted previously in the Watergate topic of the Education Forum]