The Education Forum

The Day Australia Stands Still

John Dolva

http://www.racingbase.com/category/Australian-Racing/Melbourne-Cup-2010--Everything-you-need-to-know-for-Flemington-201011010016/

''We are just 12 hours away from the 2010 Melbourne Cup and here at Racingbase we can barely contain our excitement.

The Melbourne Cup is the most important sporting and cultural festival ( ed: and may I add, Holy Day ) in Australia and on the first Tuesday of November every year the nation grinds to a halt for a spellbinding renewal of ‘the race that stops a nation.'’

If onlookers from overseas are wondering where the two mile showpiece gets its nickname from then they should be made aware that the Melbourne Cup is the most watched five minutes of television Down Under, year in and year out without fail. ...''

This is also a day for being very stupid.

This year, after a lull of a number of years, I say 10X on O'Reilly to place, and if money is no object, and stupidity a badge of honor, 50X to win.

Anyone else?

Lol. Yup, I'm glad I didn't bet. Still maybe in ideal conditions, riding instructions better, lighter ground O'Reilleys (too) late dash could have been interesting. He's off Caulfield now and should return after rest with a bad rep and reduced weight. That might be the one he's gearing up for.