The Education Forum

Three questions

Can forum members help me with the following three questions.

1. Commission Exhibit 877 says that the distance from the Triple Underpass to Houston street is 425 feet. Does anyone know if that distance is to the East or West kerb of Houston street?

2. Is Dealey Plaza a Mirror image. By that I mean from TSBT to the north kerb of Main Street is, I believe, 300 ft. To the middle of Main street, I believe, it is 20 feet. Therefore from the TSBD to the middle of Main Street is 320 ft.

When I say is Dealey a “Mirror Image“, it appears to me, looking at images, that from the middle of Main Street to the Post Office Building is also 320 feet. Am I correct?

3. Looking at images of Dealey Plaza it appears that the elevation of the car park behind the TSBD and the South car park behind the Post Office building have the same elevation. Does anyone know whether that is correct? Gary Mack feels they probably are similar, though he feels that the South car park might be a little lower.

Thank you.

James

2. No, not quite, The PO side is somewhat different. Street curve, pool length and other details.

2. No, not quite, The PO side is somewhat different. Street curve, pool length and other details.

John,

From this arial image of the Plaza, it appears to me that there is a similar distance from the wall of TSBD to the middle of Main street and the distance from the wall of the Terminal Annex building to the middle of Main Street.

You mention a difference in the curve of the street [ Commerce Street ]. Actually I don't see a major difference. According to CE 877 they are both 495 feet

Could you elaborate on what these difference are please.

James.

Edited by James R Gordon

James, here is the image cropped with the southern side cut out and flipped horizontally and then the southern side set at 50 % transparency and its colors inverted, the main and houston curb lined up ( a bit rough, but enough for the purpose imo.Then the image flattened or merged into one layer. This helps the differences to be more apparent.

I'd add that this is a small scale. A similar process, with perhaps an older image ( I think pretty good 1986 ones are available ( less foliage) ), taking greater care will show the differences better.