The Education Forum

Merriman Smith Remembers November 22, 1963

David Von Pein

I simply find the reference to the entire car as "the bubbletop" to be somewhat distracting, as well as HIGHLY inaccurate.

And from a journalist whose primary concern should have been accuracy, as well.

But you will acknowledge, won't you Mr. Knight, that journalists in 1963 did often refer to the vehicle as "The Bubbletop", regardless of whether the plastic "bubble" was present on the car or not?

Edited by David Von Pein

I'm not disagreeing that the journalists DID refer to the limo itself [incorrectly] as "the bubbletop."

I'm merely commenting that it's a bit disconcerting, considering how inaccurate the description was when the actual bubbletop was removed. They should've known better...but they used the term [inaccurately] anyway.

If you're looking for an argument about their actual usage of the term, you won't get one from me. They did it. So you'll have to seek an argument elsewhere.

I'm not seeking a "bubbletop" argument from you, Mr. Knight. I'm merely utilizing your acknowledgement to help to counter and defeat the following absurd comments made by a certain Mr. Kenneth Drew of Louisiana....

"I wonder why DVP posted this total hogwash story. Must fit the LN criteria for authenticity.

[...]

What was the 'big bubble-top'? Is someone making it up as he goes along?

[...]

I think the problem here is he [Merriman Smith] had written this up beforehand when they were supposed to have the bubble top on the car. They only removed it at the last minute. He didn't know that. His total story is phony, made up."
-- K. Drew

Edited by David Von Pein