The Education Forum

Mike Yardley

http://www.positiveshooting.com/KennedyAssassinationLatest.html

Here’s my bottom line from experience of using the weapon system. The Carcano is a poor gun, and the optical sight found upon it (as presented as evidence) was even worse - the sort of cheap thing with a moving reticule that was once used on air-rifles (I had something similar on my BSA Airsporter when I was a kid). The gun is up to the task, however - just. And, the shots with it are possible within the given time frame. I have made them again and again. Other reports not withstanding, I believe any competent rifleman would have had a good chance of connecting at least once.

It simply does not add up. FMJ bullets don’t tend to fragment when shooting through people (though they may distort a bit). A Dr Kurtz has done some research in this area and concludes the fragments are unlikely to have come from a medium velocity, mid-power, rifle like the 6.5 Carcano.

My Dallas mission for Discovery was to explore some of the proposed spots where a second gunman might have been placed. We had an exact replica vehicle full or actors, I had a telescopically sighted rifle – a pre-64 style, Shilen barrelled, .264 Winchester with which to track the vehicle and try the feasibility of the shots (with an unloaded rifle with the bolt removed). As you might imagine, it took all the resources of the Discovery Channel to persuade the Dallas police to allow us to this. But, we did, and we discovered that you cannot make the shots from the side of the Deeley Plaza opposite the book depository or from the so-called walk-way, but you can make them from at least two spots on the famous grassy knoll at ranges between 35-75 yards.

Edited by Mathias Baumann