The Education Forum

In The Navy

Guest Bart Kamp

• 1 month later...

Bart,

Who wrote these notes, and when? They seem to be a mishmash of jottings from phone calls or conversations with someone who was telling the writer to whom to speak.

I am especially intrigued by the writer's notation on page 4 about NSA Deputy Director Louis Tordella (1958 - 1974) " knows where the bodies are buried" . . .

According to Stephan Budiansky in his book "Code Warriors", Tordella had sixteen boxes of documents in his office safe, which, when discovered after his death in 1996, " turned out to be a compendium of every single one of NSA's most highly classified, compartmented programs of the post-World War II era."

If the writer of these notes was with the ARRB, then it is "unfortunate" that NSA Deputy Director Tordella died on January 10, 1996 (no autopsy). The ARRB wanted whatever he had, and the Navy provided Tordella's notes on the Warren Commission, but I doubt that was really what the ARRB was after. Too bad they could not depose the man himself.

The writer of these notes had some idea of his importance.

"The Review Board requested that NSA locate the original files of top NSA officials during the period of the Warren Commission (NSA Director Lt. Gen. Gordon Blake and NSA Deputy Director Dr. Louis Tordella). NSA located materials on the Warren Commission from files of Deputy Director Tordella."

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

I asked Malcolm and he said: I got it from the ARRB files,which particular staffer I do not know,this particular copy was in Ron Haron's files but it's not his handwriting.