The Education Forum

Jack the Ripper: Latest Theory

John Simkin

James,

Very interesting. However, I can't have Barnett. He wouldn't have done that to his ex girlfriend. Also, he lived on in Whitechapel for years. With this kind of serial killer, they just don't get bored with it and move on to something else. IMO, he continues until he dies, gets caught or incarcerated for some other reason. (Mark Stapleton)

You may well be right, Mark.

From my limited understanding, I have (possibly incorrectly) put Jack the Ripper in the catagory of being a psychopath, in which subtle differences exist to that of a serial killer. A serial killer operates to fulfill some despicable fantasy in which normal society won't afford him. This person knows the difference between right and wrong and attempts to cover his tracks.

A psychopath is a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by the impulse to commit antisocial and violent acts and a failure to feel guilt. It is a diminished capacity where actually remembering details of their ghastly deeds can elude them.

Maybe Barnett was operating out of a personal hatred for Mary Kelly and her profession, which finally escalated into eliminating the original cause of his twisted mind-set, the violent destruction of Mary Kelly.

Once that was done, there was no real need to kill anymore. Maybe in his warped mind, the memories of the murders eventually escaped him.

All speculation of course.

James

Guest Stephen Turner

James.

All serial killers are Psychopaths, not all Psychopaths are serial killers, thank God..

many are politicians B) Mass murderers on the other hand tend towards

Psychosis- Brain damage or brain stem tumours.

Mark, the issue of the missing key is easily resolved,its contained in Barnett's

testimony to the Police. He talks of a catch lock, the fore-runner of the Yale,which

could be opened by reaching though the window, and dropping the catch.So whilst

it would be locked on the outside, it could be easily opened from within. Thus no

need for a key.The reason the Police waited for more than three hours to break in,

is that they had sent for Barnaby, and Bourgo, the Bloodhounds, and did not want

to spoil the scent trail. Steve.

James,

Very interesting. However, I can't have Barnett. He wouldn't have done that to his ex girlfriend. Also, he lived on in Whitechapel for years. With this kind of serial killer, they just don't get bored with it and move on to something else. IMO, he continues until he dies, gets caught or incarcerated for some other reason. (Mark Stapleton)

You may well be right, Mark.

From my limited understanding, I have (possibly incorrectly) put Jack the Ripper in the catagory of being a psychopath, in which subtle differences exist to that of a serial killer. A serial killer operates to fulfill some despicable fantasy in which normal society won't afford him. This person knows the difference between right and wrong and attempts to cover his tracks.

A psychopath is a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by the impulse to commit antisocial and violent acts and a failure to feel guilt. It is a diminished capacity where actually remembering details of their ghastly deeds can elude them.

Maybe Barnett was operating out of a personal hatred for Mary Kelly and her profession, which finally escalated into eliminating the original cause of his twisted mind-set, the violent destruction of Mary Kelly.

Once that was done, there was no real need to kill anymore. Maybe in his warped mind, the memories of the murders eventually escaped him.

All speculation of course.

James

James,

You might be right about Barnett--we'll never know. Sometimes a fresh idea can crack the case, but I would always rank Barnett low, near the bottom of the list.

1. The extent of MK's wounds. That's a stranger not an ex-boyfriend.

2. The murders displayed an unmistakable escalation in ferocity. Whoever did that to MK had gone over the edge. No way he could have stopped. Death, incarceration, capture or continuation are the only four logical progressions, IMO. Ruling out the last two, that leaves only the first two. JB's not in either group, so he's out for me.

Like others, I doubt if JTR's identity resides in any of the known suspects.

James.

All serial killers are Psychopaths, not all Psychopaths are serial killers, thank God..

many are politicians :) Mass murderers on the other hand tend towards

Psychosis- Brain damage or brain stem tumours.

Mark, the issue of the missing key is easily resolved,its contained in Barnett's

testimony to the Police. He talks of a catch lock, the fore-runner of the Yale,which

could be opened by reaching though the window, and dropping the catch.So whilst

it would be locked on the outside, it could be easily opened from within. Thus no

need for a key.The reason the Police waited for more than three hours to break in,

is that they had sent for Barnaby, and Bourgo, the Bloodhounds, and did not want

to spoil the scent trail. Steve.

Steve,

I don't know if I'm reading your post right but are you saying the key imbroglio is one of the reasons for suspecting Barnett i.e. didn't you point out that Barnett's guilt solves the "key mystery"? I'm skeptical but defer to your greater knowledge of the case and say I'm looking forward to your posts. Maybe you know something I don't.

Guest Stephen Turner

Mark. Sorry about any confussion, your right it was'nt my clearest post.Lets clear

it up. I was rebuting the theory I had posted earlier ( My other half's) Part of the

reasoning is that as the door was locked, the killer must have had the key. ergo,

who more likely than Joe. As my post shows, no key is needed, as the door is self

locking, from the outside at least. I, like you, find Barnett an unlikely suspect, the

police questioned him for five hours, and must have been satisfied with his version

of events. The theory that he killed her in a rage, then decided to brutally mutilate

the body, does not IMHO hold water. Why go to that extreme? A few slashes to the

abdomen would have suficed. And your correct in saying that serial killers do not

stop of their own violition. A much longer post coming up, to lay out part of my theory, before we begin the seminars...Steve.

Guest Stephen Turner

Lets lay out my top three suspects..

1, William Henry Bury. 2, Frederick Baily Deeming. 3, George Chapman, AKA

Severin Klosowski.

Why? All three were in Whitechapel at the time of the murders. All three were

convicted killers of woman, a crime for which they all rode the rope.

1, W H Bury. Bury fits the profile of JTR completely, he is the rippers psychological

photograph. He fits the general physical descriptions, short, respectably dressed

moustachioed, and between 25-35, years old. Bury was short 5ft 5ins, dressed

well, wore a moustache, and was 29 at the time of the murders.

The ripper was a thief, who ransacked his victims bodies, Bury was a thief, and

obsessed with money, Bury resided in the east end though out the murders,they

did not begin until he came to London,and they ended when he left.Bury fled

london in early 1889, he lied about where, and why, he was going

Ellen Bury, and Eddowes were ripped up in exactly the same manner. Ellen Bury

Annie Chapman, and Eddowes sexual organs were identically mutilated, almost

all serial killers have a "Trade mark" Jack the ripper ceased to exist after Bury's

death.

Lets lay out my top three suspects..

1, William Henry Bury. 2, Frederick Baily Deeming. 3, George Chapman, AKA

Severin Klosowski.

Why? All three were in Whitechapel at the time of the murders. All three were

convicted killers of woman, a crime for which they all rode the rope.

1, W H Bury. Bury fits the profile of JTR completely, he is the rippers psychological

photograph. He fits the general physical descriptions, short, respectably dressed

moustachioed, and between 25-35, years old. Bury was short 5ft 5ins, dressed

well, wore a moustache, and was 29 at the time of the murders.

The ripper was a thief, who ransacked his victims bodies, Bury was a thief, and

obsessed with money, Bury resided in the east end though out the murders,they

did not begin until he came to London,and they ended when he left.Bury fled

london in early 1889, he lied about where, and why, he was going

Ellen Bury, and Eddowes were ripped up in exactly the same manner. Ellen Bury

Annie Chapman, and Eddowes sexual organs were identically mutilated, almost

all serial killers have a "Trade mark" Jack the ripper ceased to exist after Bury's

death.

Steve,

I think Bury's a chance. I hadn't looked at him before. After browsing the site that James added to his post, I think I like someone else now, even more than I like MJD. One Jacob Levy, not to be confused with Joseph Levy, is very interesting indeed. His rundown is in the "suspects" section but strangely he is not included in the poll. If you read his "resume" you'll see why I think there's a lot to recommend him. Very, very interesting.

Guest Stephen Turner

quote]

Steve,

I think Bury's a chance. I hadn't looked at him before. After browsing the site that James added to his post, I think I like someone else now, even more than I like MJD. One Jacob Levy, not to be confused with Joseph Levy, is very interesting indeed. His rundown is in the "suspects" section but strangely he is not included in the poll. If you read his "resume" you'll see why I think there's a lot to recommend him. Very, very interesting.

Mark.. Yeah, he's an interesting one, I have brushed up against him a couple of times in my research, but never really dug deep.Care to do a bit of digging, maybe a Seminar peice? BTW, Ive got lots more on our Mr Bury,IMHO he's right at the top of my suspect list. Dont want to give to much more away at this stage,

Ive started posting on that site "JTR Casebook", they seem like a friendly bunch.

Steve.

quote]

Steve,

Mark.. Yeah, he's an interesting one, I have brushed up against him a couple of times in my research, but never really dug deep.Care to do a bit of digging, maybe a Seminar peice? BTW, Ive got lots more on our Mr Bury,IMHO he's right at the top of my suspect list. Dont want to give to much more away at this stage,

Ive started posting on that site "JTR Casebook", they seem like a friendly bunch.

Steve.

Steve,

I've been googling for more info on Levy but the only thing that's popping up is the Casebook site. It's going to be difficult. BTW, do you subscribe to "Ripperologist"?

The info re Levy is from the Dec 1999 issue. I think I'll have to post on the Casebook site for more info. I'll have to change my seminar as now I don't think MJD is on top (I was always going to have trouble explaining how he got to that cricket match at 10am on the morning of the double event anyway) (stats for his matches are available on the "Cricinfo" site, btw, it's amazing) I don't know the URL but you can google it in.

Re Levy, from the info available, if it's accurate, I don't know how he isn't on top of everyone's list. Cop these juicy nuggets:

1. Born Aldgate 1856. He's the right age.

2. Butcher by trade.

3. Sent to an asylum, 1886. Released after one year.

4. Wife claimed he "heard voices" and "would wander the streets at all hours". She also states that he was ruining their once successful butchery business. I would love to be able to positively verify all those statements.

5. Institutionalised again in August 1890. Dies of syphillis July 1891. Police close the Ripper file also in 1891. Very curious.

6. From the available description of Levy (5'3", about 30-35, prosperous but slightly shabby appearance etc), he's the person Hutchinson saw with MK who "looked at him stern". Also matches the description of the person seen talking with Stride.

7. Lived in Middlesex street. Right in the centre of the murder scenes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these facts. If he is the Ripper, then some of the post MK attacks, such as Alice Mackenzie, must be included. Importantly though, did any attacks occur after August 15, 1890? That's very important. There's almost enough material for a book here. Naturally, the title will be "Revealed at last; Jake the Ripper". Hello fat city.

Guest Stephen Turner

Mark.

13th Feb 1891, Frances Coles is found dying, her throat cut, in SWallow Gardens (Now Royal Mint St).

16th Feb, Thomas Sadler (Boyfriend) Is charged with her murder.

27th Feb, Sadler is acquitted.

Now this doesnt mean that your boy cant be Jack, If it did it would put Bury out of the frame as well, But if Coles was a Ripper victim..........

Im off to London for the w/e, Im going to walk the killing grounds. (Not much of the original left) There are some good independant book shops to visit, Ill also go to the London Library, see if I cant cant get my mitts on some original source material. I will keep my eyes open for anything to do with Mr Levy.

Steve..

PS, I dont know if your a led Zep fan, but couldnt you call the book "When the Levy Breaks" :hotorwot

Edited by Stephen Turner

The theories on the identity of Jack the Ripper are as diverse as the theorists themselves. As the mystery of the identity of the Whitechapel murderers will never be solved the field is ripe for hypothesis, speculation and opinion. A good aspect of all this theorising is that it leads to closer examination of what records have survived and more detailed research into all the players in the drama.

The theory of a sailor as Jack the Ripper is not new and is, in fact, as old as the murders themselves. A great early exponent of this idea was E. K. Larkins of H.M. Customs who wrote a detailed thesis that included the timetables of the ships he believed were involved.

It is great to see sensible discussion of the Ripper case - perhaps some more minor mysteries will be solved here.

The theories on the identity of Jack the Ripper are as diverse as the theorists themselves.  As the mystery of the identity of the Whitechapel murderers will never be solved the field is ripe for hypothesis, speculation and opinion.  A good aspect of all this theorising is that it leads to closer examination of what records have survived and more detailed research into all the players in the drama.

A very good point. When I was at school I found history dreadfully boring. It was just about telling stories about the past. My role was to listen and to remember. It was only after leaving school that I discovered that history was in fact an exciting subject. It came about because I was trying to find out information about my grandfather who had been killed on the Western Front in 1916. They had not found his body so I could not even visit his grave. In fact, I found out very little about him. He left very little documentary evidence of his existence.What made history fascinating was that it was incomplete. As a result I had a role to play. This was in stark contrast to the way that the subject was taught at school.

This is the reason why people are drawn to subjects like Jack the Ripper, the assassination of John Kennedy, Watergate, etc. In all these cases the story is incomplete. It gives the opportunity for all of us to be historians. We are active rather than passive learners. It would be great if we could solve these mysteries. However, the important thing is the journey we take in finding the answer. Much better than doing crossword puzzles.