The Education Forum

West Ham's Worst Ever Signing

John Simkin

It could be argued that Thomas Bradshaw was West Ham's worst ever signing. It is no surprise that he came from Spurs via Liverpool.

Bradshaw began his career at Northwich Victoria. Bradshaw signed for Liverpool in October 1893. Originally playing as a centre-forward he was a member of Liverpool's Second Division championship-winning team in 1893/1894. He scored 7 goals in 14 matches. The following season he scored 17 goals but could not stop Liverpool being relegated. Bradshaw played for England against Ireland in February, 1897. Bradshaw scored 53 goals in 138 games for Liverpool. In May 1898, Bradshaw was transferred to Spurs. In 1899, Francis Payne, the club secretary, was given the task of finding good players for Thames Iron Works first season in the top division of the Southern League. According to one report, Arnold Hills, gave Payne £1,000 to find the best players available. With this money he brought Tom Bradshaw, Bill Joyce and Ken McKay from Spurs. However, Bradshaw was already seriously ill and he only played five games before dying of consumption on Christmas Day 1899.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WHbradshaw.htm

post-7-1169737440_thumb.jpg

Guest Gary Loughran

That is very funny. Before I opened it, I made a mental list so as not to be influenced by your choice, this included; Boogers, Radicuiou, Stewart Robson and Nigel Quashie.

This guy was very unlucky :o

That is very funny. Before I opened it, I made a mental list so as not to be influenced by your choice, this included; Boogers, Radicuiou, Stewart Robson and Nigel Quashie.

This guy was very unlucky :o

I wonder if the selling of players who suffered from consumption was common in the 19th century? I find cases like this an interesting insight into social history.

I am currently reading John Powles' excellent, Iron in the Blood (2005). He claims that one close friend was convinced that Bradshaw died as a result of a kick to the head he had received while playing for Liverpool. Bradshaw complained that he suffered terrible pains when he headed the ball. Bradshaw, who was only 26 years old, left a widow and two young children.