The Education Forum

When the light at the end of the tunnel

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Well John,

That, surely, is that. Another train wreck punctuated by a complete inability to find the net. Even from 12 yards. Who'd give the ball to one of the least confident footballers I have ever seen at that point. That surely was not the time for 'letting him have it' to find his feet.

I am consumed with frustration and not a little anger at the moment. I realise the manager is always the first to take the flack, but for the first time I can remember, the board made available sufficient funds to turn the season around.

To this end Curbishley's feat has been almost unique in the history of the premiership. He truly does not know his squad or best team.

I'm loathe to start calling for the head of Curbishley, for I don't know what good it will ultimately do, as we're hardly going to attract a decent manager in the fizzy pop league. Maybe give Curb's a year in the lower league (his true level I believe), and if he can get us out first go, then hire new blood.

Bah

Gary

Well John,

That, surely, is that. Another train wreck punctuated by a complete inability to find the net. Even from 12 yards. Who'd give the ball to one of the least confident footballers I have ever seen at that point. That surely was not the time for 'letting him have it' to find his feet.

I am consumed with frustration and not a little anger at the moment. I realise the manager is always the first to take the flack, but for the first time I can remember, the board made available sufficient funds to turn the season around.

To this end Curbishley's feat has been almost unique in the history of the premiership. He truly does not know his squad or best team.

I'm loathe to start calling for the head of Curbishley, for I don't know what good it will ultimately do, as we're hardly going to attract a decent manager in the fizzy pop league. Maybe give Curb's a year in the lower league (his true level I believe), and if he can get us out first go, then hire new blood.

I was listening to it on the radio. When it was announced that Harewood was going to take the penalty I knew he would miss it. I remember him missing a penalty last season when he was going through a bad spell. I am not sure why he picked Harewood in the first place. Then he keeps him on for the second-half and takes off Zamora, who is always more likely to score a goal. He rarely fails to score because of a lack of confidence.

I would definitely not sack Curbishley. He clearly has been unable to turn it round, but I suspect it will be different next season when he has his own team. Anyway, if we go down, no decent manager will be willing to come in.

Guest Gary Loughran

Have you any inside knowledge on who will stay and go? I suspect Boa Morte, Upson and Neill all have clauses that will permit them to leave, if not, hopefully there will be a substantial salary reduction in the wages paid to these players.

If they do leave is there a minimum fee that must be paid. I'm worried no one will stump up 6.5 for Upson and leave us with him on big wages. Neill will probably make a profit, and we should get close to even on the Boa Morte sale.

Tevez, Bennayoun and Reo-Coker I'd imagine would be unwilling to play in the Championship, again in 2 cases.

Can Curbs turn it around? Even if he does and we get straight back, do you see anything in his past which will transform West Ham into Magnusson's vision of where he wants us to be. I wouldn't be happy to be another Charlton. He blew £18 million in the transfer window...surely Pardew, like him or loathe him, would have done something positive with this amount of money. Remember Curbs said he was going to bring in experienced premiership players out of all the signings only Neill and Boa Morte have this and all have spent a fair amount of time in the lower division even at Millwall <boooo>

I've only read reports and seen him play once or twice, but Noble must be banging on the door of the first team. Tompkins, Ephraim are other notables from what I've read.

Throw me something to cheer me up, please!

Have you any inside knowledge on who will stay and go? I suspect Boa Morte, Upson and Neill all have clauses that will permit them to leave, if not, hopefully there will be a substantial salary reduction in the wages paid to these players.

If they do leave is there a minimum fee that must be paid. I'm worried no one will stump up 6.5 for Upson and leave us with him on big wages. Neill will probably make a profit, and we should get close to even on the Boa Morte sale.

Tevez, Bennayoun and Reo-Coker I'd imagine would be unwilling to play in the Championship, again in 2 cases.

Can Curbs turn it around? Even if he does and we get straight back, do you see anything in his past which will transform West Ham into Magnusson's vision of where he wants us to be. I wouldn't be happy to be another Charlton. He blew £18 million in the transfer window...surely Pardew, like him or loathe him, would have done something positive with this amount of money. Remember Curbs said he was going to bring in experienced premiership players out of all the signings only Neill and Boa Morte have this and all have spent a fair amount of time in the lower division even at Millwall <boooo>

I've only read reports and seen him play once or twice, but Noble must be banging on the door of the first team. Tompkins, Ephraim are other notables from what I've read.

Throw me something to cheer me up, please!

I expect very few of the present squad to stay if we are relegated. Some will be able to get transfers to other premiership clubs, whereas others will be sent to the lower leagues where they belong.

Curbishley appears to be having a mental breakdown. I still remember the way he reacted when he was up for the England job. He is clearly someone who cannot take too much stress. Some of his comments are causing me a great deal of concern. For example, when questioned about Harewood taking the penalty, Curbishley replied that he had left it up to the players to decide. In other words, the issue had not been discussed before hand. Anyone who has watched Harewood over the last two seasons was desperately worried when it was announced that it was he who had placed the ball on the spot. His taking of penalties was bad last season but that was when he was full of confidence. I, like most other West Ham supporters watching it in the ground or listening on the radio, knew he would miss. Curbishley’s view is that the person who is brave enough to pick up the ball, is good enough to take the penalty. That is absurd.

I would not be surprised to see Curbishley resign at the end of the season. I don’t think he has the mental strength to do the job. My choice as his replacement would be Aidy Boothroyd.

Guest Gary Loughran
I expect very few of the present squad to stay if we are relegated. Some will be able to get transfers to other premiership clubs, whereas others will be sent to the lower leagues where they belong.

Curbishley appears to be having a mental breakdown. I still remember the way he reacted when he was up for the England job. He is clearly someone who cannot take too much stress. Some of his comments are causing me a great deal of concern. For example, when questioned about Harewood taking the penalty, Curbishley replied that he had left it up to the players to decide. In other words, the issue had not been discussed before hand. Anyone who has watched Harewood over the last two seasons was desperately worried when it was announced that it was he who had placed the ball on the spot. His taking of penalties was bad last season but that was when he was full of confidence. I, like most other West Ham supporters watching it in the ground or listening on the radio, knew he would miss. Curbishley’s view is that the person who is brave enough to pick up the ball, is good enough to take the penalty. That is absurd.

I would not be surprised to see Curbishley resign at the end of the season. I don’t think he has the mental strength to do the job. My choice as his replacement would be Aidy Boothroyd.

Agreed on Harewood, 909 was live at Upton Park when he missed, like the Cup Final penalties the outcome was known by everyone beforehand...unfortunately.

I think the next manager needs big player experience. The problem with West Ham is that good but lesser known players see the club as a springboard to the bigger clubs. If there is money to be spent then we need a manager who can spend it wisely and is not afraid of it. Remember Roeder's search for a centre half ending with £5 million purchase of Repka, a man who won most of his Czech caps as a right back. Curbishley reminds me of him. Pardew might have looked abroad a little more, I know the West Ham tradition, but there are quality players abroad who can be got at good prices. Surely Wenger, whilst having an outstanding knowledge and eye for talent, is not the only coach who can constantly tap this source with such success.

It's also a shame that since the Lou Macari debacle (excepting H) West Ham have been going through managers at a relatively unprecedented rate.