The Education Forum

General Paul Griffith

Scott Kaiser

Hope to find some real research on this General, until now, I have not seen any information or anyone write about him, so what do we really know? Like this as well as many NEW names will be added in my upcoming book, it will allow the experienced researcher to explore new avenues, research new names, and there is a slew of people my father was acquainted with.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Guest Tom Scully

Some of what has been written has been written by (Joe Raines) and myself on facebook attached is my father's phone book page of the general

Joe Raines--- The general 1917 to 1966, worked under Johnson and was apparently involved with the armed forces. Working under Johnson it was apparent Johnson was a very big player and when he took sick some tried to claim he was mentally ill. Griffith didn't like president Truman because he fired MacArthur and Louis Johnson. According to the Gen Johnson was the ME man and oil was still the subject of many meetings. One thing was clear was JFK and the CIA were at war over the bay of pigs and the CIA was spoiling for a war it was said and JFK wanted to prevent war at all costs and if I am not mistaken Gen Griffith was still involved with operations or had good knowledge of what was taking place! It seems the information of the Generals death is unclear?

Scott Kaiser--- You're right, he (General Paul Griffith) also served in the pentagon for an undisclosed amount of years, his time and duties with the pentagon are unknown. Paul Griffith dies in 1966, just three years after the Kennedy assassination, hello! Does anyone know how he died at the age of forty nine? That's 49, he was Sectary of Defence in charge of the Navy and all our military, why would my father have a General and a president's phone number in his phone book? My father was no one or should I say had no real government job or did he? And yes, my father also has president Nixon, Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis in his phone book. Along with many others, I mean many important people that were either implemented in Kennedy's assassination or Watergate, so you tell me? And could Father John Bonn be a priest that maybe my father confessed too?

Entire text of Gen. Griffith obit can be purchased for $3.95

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0F12F63A5E1A738DDDA80894D9405B858BF1D3&scp=1&sq=paul+griffith&st=p

Paul Griffith, Retired General, Ex-Legion Chief, U.S. Aide, Dies

The New York Times, 1946 ();

January 01, 1975,

, Section , Page 15, Column , words

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]

Paul H. Griffith, a retired brigadier general who had served as national commander of the American Legion and as Assistant Secretary of Defense in the Truman Administration, died Sunday in Georgetown University Hospital in Washington. He was 76 years old and lived in Chevy Chase, Md....

Some of what has been written has been written by (Joe Raines) and myself on facebook attached is my father's phone book page of the general

Joe Raines--- The general 1917 to 1966, worked under Johnson and was apparently involved with the armed forces. Working under Johnson it was apparent Johnson was a very big player and when he took sick some tried to claim he was mentally ill. Griffith didn't like president Truman because he fired MacArthur and Louis Johnson. According to the Gen Johnson was the ME man and oil was still the subject of many meetings. One thing was clear was JFK and the CIA were at war over the bay of pigs and the CIA was spoiling for a war it was said and JFK wanted to prevent war at all costs and if I am not mistaken Gen Griffith was still involved with operations or had good knowledge of what was taking place! It seems the information of the Generals death is unclear?

Scott Kaiser--- You're right, he (General Paul Griffith) also served in the pentagon for an undisclosed amount of years, his time and duties with the pentagon are unknown. Paul Griffith dies in 1966, just three years after the Kennedy assassination, hello! Does anyone know how he died at the age of forty nine? That's 49, he was Sectary of Defence in charge of the Navy and all our military, why would my father have a General and a president's phone number in his phone book? My father was no one or should I say had no real government job or did he? And yes, my father also has president Nixon, Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis in his phone book. Along with many others, I mean many important people that were either implemented in Kennedy's assassination or Watergate, so you tell me? And could Father John Bonn be a priest that maybe my father confessed too?

Entire text of Gen. Griffith obit can be purchased for $3.95

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0F12F63A5E1A738DDDA80894D9405B858BF1D3&scp=1&sq=paul+griffith&st=p

Paul Griffith, Retired General, Ex-Legion Chief, U.S. Aide, Dies

The New York Times, 1946 ();

January 01, 1975,

, Section , Page 15, Column , words

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]

Paul H. Griffith, a retired brigadier general who had served as national commander of the American Legion and as Assistant Secretary of Defense in the Truman Administration, died Sunday in Georgetown University Hospital in Washington. He was 76 years old and lived in Chevy Chase, Md....

Thanks Tom,

What I find odd, is that the New York Times usually posts news like this at NO charge. In his semi-report showing 1917-1966, I guess, I got confused, and miss took 1966 as being the date he died when in-fact he died at the age of 76 which the year would have been 1993. Interesting enough there isn't much information about his life in the military or not much can be found, and what rolls he played during the Bay of Pigs/Cuban Missile Crisis. I'm sure he was active during those time periods.

Griffith was born in Uniontown, PA in 1897. He was the son of D.A. Griffith.

My mistake, you're correct! So if he died at 76 that would have been sometime in 1973, (what were his duties, the Generals)? At that time, my father was engaged heavily into the anti-Castro groups and Watergate. And in some FBI documents it states that my father had a military (phone card), and many of my father's member's in his organization said they saw him use it to call Washington, or the Pentagon, and report back to someone there, I'm wondering if it was General Griffith my father was reporting to. And why? How involved was Griffith in the early 70's? Was it his ranch in the South Florida Everglades the training of anit-Castro groups took place, or was the ranch owned Howard Hughes? That's the mystery.

What did the general know about the Cuban crisis going on in Miami? Was the general working with or advising the CIA on their plans? How much information did the General know about Kennedy's assassination? What position did the General have while Kennedy was in office? Where did the General work while Kennedy was in office, these, along with a half-dozen other questions are still unanswered about this person with such little information.

I can't find anything else more then this:

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/oralhist/griffith.htm

Edited by Scott Kaiser

This obituary appeared in Uniontown:

Mr. Griffith was executive vice president of Buchart-Horn, consulting engineers with offices in 10 eastern states and also head of Paul H. Griffith Industries, with main offices at Washington, D.C. At his Maryland farm, he raised

hereford cattle and saddle horses. Mr. Griffith gained national prominence as U.S. Asst. Secretary of Defense under Secretaries Louis Johnson and George C. Marshall during the Truman Administration and National commander of the American Legion. Active in the American Legion, he served as commander of Lafayette Post 51 in Uniontown and went on to become national commander in 1946. His military service spanned two world wars. He served as an enlisted man in the 110th Infantry of the 28th Division during World War I.

Re-entering the service for World War II, he rose to the rank of Colonel. At retirement, he held the rank of brigadier general. He was decorated by the United States and many foreign countries.

He also held a number of other high government positions. Mr. Griffith was asst. administrator of the Retraining

and Re-employment Administration in the office of War Mobilization, small business advisor to the Dept. of Defense, executive member of the Selective Service Presidential Appeals Board prior to serving as Asst. Secretary of Defense. More recently, he served as chairman of the Pennsylvania State Veterans Commission.

Mr. Griffith is a former trustee of the American Legion Overseas Grave Registration Commission; the Surburban

Hospital of Bethesda, Md.; Boy's Clubs of America; board of directors of the American Red Cross; Community Chest, and was coordinator for the Ground Observer Corps of Civil Defense in the area surrounding Washington, D.C. He was vice president of the National Board of Trustees of the National City Christian Church.

Surviving are his wife, Dove Pitzer Griffith , a daughter, Mrs. Robert Sweeney, and a son, Paul H. Griffith Jr.

of Potomac, Md. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Pearl Jennewine Griffith, formerly of Point Marion.

Friends will be received in the Gawlers Funeral Home, Washington, D.C. Tuesday and Wednesday. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the National City Christian Church, Washington, D.C. Burial will be in the Ft. Lincoln Cemetery.

Guest Tom Scully

10,000 Famous Freemasons from A to J Part One - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=1417975784...William R. Denslow, Harry S. Truman - 2004 - Social Science - 672 pages

Paul H. Griffith Public relations counselor and national commander of the American Legion, 1946-47. b. April 8, 1897 at Uniontown, Pa. From 1919-32 he was a ....

Scott, I just emailed to you, the .pdf file of Griffith's 30 Dec. 1974, Washington Post obituary. Born in May, 1897, Griffith had to be 77 years old.

GRIFFITH ELECTED LEGION COMMANDER

Pay-Per-View -

The Sun - Oct 5, 1946

San Francisco, Oct. 4 (AP) --Paul H. Griffith, 49, with service in both World Wars, was elected national commander of the American Legion today by ...

New Legion Head First From NE Since 1937

Legion Bows Out Meet With Parting Shots .

Lodi News-Sentinel - Oct 3, 1946

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 4 The American Legion " national convention today ... Paul Griffith, a 49 year old veteran of World Wars I and was elected for 1946 ...

My guess from what was disclosed to the public in his obit that he had some role with financing covert ops through these American Legion accounts.

From American Legion website

Finance

The American Legion Finance Commission is responsible for the organization's annual budget, funds management and oversight for divisions and departments within the Legion.

The commission also manages permanent endowments and funds, including The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation, The American Legion Endowment Fund, The American Legion Insurance Committee, The American Legion Emblem Committee and The American Legion Overseas Graves Decoration Trust; and directs the work of the Finance Division. The Emblem Sales Division is also under the commission.

Edited by Linda Minor

books.google.com/books?isbn=1417975784...William R. Denslow, Harry S. Truman - 2004 - Social Science - 672 pages

Paul H. Griffith Public relations counselor and national commander of the American Legion, 1946-47. b. April 8, 1897 at Uniontown, Pa. From 1919-32 he was a ....

Scott, I just emailed to you, the .pdf file of Griffith's 30 Dec. 1974, Washington Post obituary. Born in May, 1897, Griffith had to be 77 years old.

Pay-Per-View -

The Sun - Oct 5, 1946

San Francisco, Oct. 4 (AP) --Paul H. Griffith, 49, with service in both World Wars, was elected national commander of the American Legion today by ...

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 4 The American Legion " national convention today ... Paul Griffith, a 49 year old veteran of World Wars I and was elected for 1946 ...

Tom! Thank you so much for that email, you certainly are incredible at researching someone as well, I have not read the article yet, because I was so excited to see it that I wanted to say thanks! A lot man!!! Very interesting to find out that he was a "Master Freemason".

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Pay-Per-View -

The Sun - Oct 5, 1946

Tom! Thank you so much for that email, you certainly are incredible at researching someone as well, I have not read the article yet, because I was so excited to see it that I wanted to say thanks! A lot man!!!

He was not 49 years old, but a 49-year veteran.

Pay-Per-View -

The Sun - Oct 5, 1946

Tom! Thank you so much for that email, you certainly are incredible at researching someone as well, I have not read the article yet, because I was so excited to see it that I wanted to say thanks! A lot man!!!

He was not 49 years old, but a 49-year veteran.

Yes! That was my mistake I misread that information and misunderstood it, my bad...

Guest Tom Scully

It appears Griffith was also 49 years old in Oct., 1946, since his D.O.B. was 8 April, 1897.

Link to 1974 Griffith obit article image. I'm using Ubuntu OS and cannot easily turn .pdf files into image files, but I'm figuring it out.:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6897615225_aa148e0366_b.jpg

Solved problem by emailing .pdf file to myself and viewing file in Google docs and saving as a .png file and then uploading to flickr.com

NY Times Griffith obit shows even more Griffith details. Everyone in DC probably included Griffith in their rolodex:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7183/6897682215_23afca13a2_b.jpg

Edited by Tom Scully