The Education Forum

General Paul Griffith

Scott Kaiser

In 1952 the following front page article appeared, which gives a fuller description of him than his obit, 22 years later. What stands out is that he had absolutely no education, having left school in 1917, at age 20.

Also notable is that he served in INDIA and had numerous medals from the French, Belgians, Italians and Greeks. Other sources at google books indicate he was a 33rd degree mason selected for an important job under President Truman within the Defense Department. With his role in the wholesale dairy industry, as well as Democratic politics, it's quite possible he would have had knowledge of John Connally's scheme during the Associated Milk Producers scandal which was a prelude to Watergate.

NOVEMBER 23, 1952

Cumberland, Maryland Times

To Be Elks' Guest

Paul H. Griffith, a member of Uniontown Lodge 370, BPO Elks and a former national commander of the American Legion, will be the speaker at the memorial services of Cumberland Lodge No. 63, BPO Elks Sunday, December 7, at 8 p. m. at Fort Hill High School auditorium. The program will be open to the public. Griffith is a veteran of both World Wars and served as assistant secretary of defense in 1949 and was personal assistant to former Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson. Previous to that he was an executive in a private business enterprise in Washington. He was appointed Small Business Advisor by Secretary Johnson on December 22, 1949. Griffith was born in Uniontown, on April 8, 1897. Upon the declaration of war with Germany in 1917, he left school and enlisted in the Army. During World War I, he served as a non-commissioned officer in the 110th Infantry and 55th Infantry Brigade Headquarters, 28th Division. Following that war, for a number of years he was a partner with his father, D. A. Griffith, in the wholesale dairy products business in Uniontown. He was active in the civic, fraternal and veterans affairs of his own community and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Griffith was one of the early members of The American Legion and served in various capacities with his post in Uniontown, the State of Pennsylvania and the National Organization. He is a life member of Lafayette Post No. 51

in Uniontown and was Post Commander in 1928. He became Commander of Pennsylvania in 1932, and later served as chairman of the National Americanism Commission, executive director of the Washington Office of the American Legion, and director of the National Employment and Veterans' Preference Committee.

In June, 1940, Griffith was commissioned a major, called to active duty, and assigned as assistant executive in the office of the Under Secretary of War. In February 1942, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and made a member of the American Technical Mission to India. On returning to Washington Colonel Griffith served as a member of the committee to set up essential activities and critical occupations for the War Manpower Commission and Selective Service System. In February 1944 he was promoted to colonel and named chief of the Veterans Personnel Division of the Selective Service System. He was appointed to the President's Appeal Board of Selective Service upon his release from active duty in the armed services in October 1945.

Griffith was awarded the Legion of Merit, Silver Star and Purple Heart for his war services. His foreign decorations include the Belgian Officers Order of Leopold, French Chevalier, Legion of Honor of France, Croix de Guerre, Liberation Medal of France, Italian War Cross, Order of the Italian Star of Solidarity and the Greek Officer Order of Phoenix and Cross of Honor.

He is a member of the board of directors of the American Red Cross, Community Chest and the American Legion Overseas Grave Decoration Commission.

Some of what has been written has been written by (Joe Raines) and myself on facebook attached is my father's phone book page of the general

Joe Raines--- For your father to have a generals number is very interesting and if the general is assigned to Washington that is even more interesting? Maybe they were good friends? But I don't think so. General Griffith served under secretary of war from the forties into the fifties if this is the right guy? He was a personal assistant to Louis Johnson. The fact Gen Paul had unknown duties tells me he was in the very trenches of national security and could never speak about any of his activities or knowledge of things until he passed on. Now the Gen has been in the trenches of national security and its possible he may have been a big part of the CIA, or associated with CIA as an advisor?

Joe Raines--- The general 1917 to 1966, worked under Johnson and was apparently involved with the armed forces. Working under Johnson it was apparent Johnson was a very big player and when he took sick some tried to claim he was mentally ill. Griffith didn't like president Truman because he fired MacArthur and Louis Johnson. According to the Gen Johnson was the ME man and oil was still the subject of many meetings. One thing was clear was JFK and the CIA were at war over the bay of pigs and the CIA was spoiling for a war it was said and JFK wanted to prevent war at all costs and if I am not mistaken Gen Griffith was still involved with operations or had good knowledge of what was taking place! It seems the information of the Generals death is unclear?

Scott Kaiser--- You're right, he (General Paul Griffith) also served in the pentagon for an undisclosed amount of years, his time and duties with the pentagon are unknown. Paul Griffith dies in 1966, just three years after the Kennedy assassination, hello! Does anyone know how he died at the age of forty nine? That's 49, he was Sectary of Defence in charge of the Navy and all our military, why would my father have a General and a president's phone number in his phone book? My father was no one or should I say had no real government job or did he? And yes, my father also has president Nixon, Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis in his phone book. Along with many others, I mean many important people that were either implemented in Kennedy's assassination or Watergate, so you tell me? And could Father John Bonn be a priest that maybe my father confessed too?

Joe Raines--- There were a handful of suspicious deaths of some people trying to get interviews, or those who may have seen something that some did not want known! Now time may have passed by, and if there was once a group responsible for this assassination, and possible cover-up, they are either dead, of feel safe enough that no one is going to find anything! Still the facts that were first given don't add up. The reports are not accurate and anyone who seemed to have a different version such as an eyewitness, was either shot dead or killed in an an automobile accident. Now maybe one death can be explained away or over looked, but there was a good amount of suspicious deaths of so called witnesses, or people of interest who were murdered under questionable circumstances. As a former investigator I always keep an open mind to details or certain things that stick out. Believe me when I say the most important witness in the center of this whole assassination of JFK, Mr Oswald, was himself assassinated right in front of millions. This was planned right up to the shot fired into Oswald's gut! The first lame excuse was Jack Ruby a nightclub owner was over come with grief and anger. So tell me this, knowing there would be outrage and some looking to take revenge why is it Oswald is led right by a crowd, no secret Service, no bullet proof vest on Oswald, and no other visible armed officers or even military? Why wasn't Oswald surrounded? No one should have even been aware of what time, or where the transport of Oswald to court would be? This was National security, and what was very troubling is no one really focused on this? Oswald was setup, and it appears some cops may have also had a hand in this!! Look at the killing of MLK, and tell me this was just one person?

I am seeking additional information about General Paul Griffith, his work with the Pentagon, Washington D.C., his death, anything about him and what were his duties? Thanking you all, well in advance for any information anyone can provide.

P.S. I also wondered if the "Guy" in my father's phone book page is in fact Guy Banister? It wouldn't surprise me considering the company my father kept.

Scott

http://​www.trumanlibrary.org/​hstpaper/griffithph.htm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20673422/Guy%20Banister%20and%20General%20Paul%20Griffith.jpg

Hi Scott,

The Paul H. Griffith Papers (1917 - 1966) in The Truman Library

Thought you might find this interesting:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NMpMJlJMtSUJ:www.trumanlibrary.org/hstpaper/griffithph.htm+%22paul+h+griffith+papers%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

--Tommy :)

Edited by Thomas Graves

In 1952 the following front page article appeared, which gives a fuller description of him than his obit, 22 years later. What stands out is that he had absolutely no education, having left school in 1917, at age 20.

Also notable is that he served in INDIA and had numerous medals from the French, Belgians, Italians and Greeks. Other sources at google books indicate he was a 33rd degree mason selected for an important job under President Truman within the Defense Department. With his role in the wholesale dairy industry, as well as Democratic politics, it's quite possible he would have had knowledge of John Connally's scheme during the Associated Milk Producers scandal which was a prelude to Watergate.

NOVEMBER 23, 1952

Cumberland, Maryland Times

To Be Elks' Guest

Paul H. Griffith, a member of Uniontown Lodge 370, BPO Elks and a former national commander of the American Legion, will be the speaker at the memorial services of Cumberland Lodge No. 63, BPO Elks Sunday, December 7, at 8 p. m. at Fort Hill High School auditorium. The program will be open to the public. Griffith is a veteran of both World Wars and served as assistant secretary of defense in 1949 and was personal assistant to former Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson. Previous to that he was an executive in a private business enterprise in Washington. He was appointed Small Business Advisor by Secretary Johnson on December 22, 1949. Griffith was born in Uniontown, on April 8, 1897. Upon the declaration of war with Germany in 1917, he left school and enlisted in the Army. During World War I, he served as a non-commissioned officer in the 110th Infantry and 55th Infantry Brigade Headquarters, 28th Division. Following that war, for a number of years he was a partner with his father, D. A. Griffith, in the wholesale dairy products business in Uniontown. He was active in the civic, fraternal and veterans affairs of his own community and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Griffith was one of the early members of The American Legion and served in various capacities with his post in Uniontown, the State of Pennsylvania and the National Organization. He is a life member of Lafayette Post No. 51

in Uniontown and was Post Commander in 1928. He became Commander of Pennsylvania in 1932, and later served as chairman of the National Americanism Commission, executive director of the Washington Office of the American Legion, and director of the National Employment and Veterans' Preference Committee.

In June, 1940, Griffith was commissioned a major, called to active duty, and assigned as assistant executive in the office of the Under Secretary of War. In February 1942, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and made a member of the American Technical Mission to India. On returning to Washington Colonel Griffith served as a member of the committee to set up essential activities and critical occupations for the War Manpower Commission and Selective Service System. In February 1944 he was promoted to colonel and named chief of the Veterans Personnel Division of the Selective Service System. He was appointed to the President's Appeal Board of Selective Service upon his release from active duty in the armed services in October 1945.

Griffith was awarded the Legion of Merit, Silver Star and Purple Heart for his war services. His foreign decorations include the Belgian Officers Order of Leopold, French Chevalier, Legion of Honor of France, Croix de Guerre, Liberation Medal of France, Italian War Cross, Order of the Italian Star of Solidarity and the Greek Officer Order of Phoenix and Cross of Honor.

He is a member of the board of directors of the American Red Cross, Community Chest and the American Legion Overseas Grave Decoration Commission.

This is all very good information and well worth reading, all very well documented research, I can't thank you enough for this information, and I'm now seeing how it links to my dad, I really can't thank you all enough, and if there's anything I can do for you Tom and Linda just let me know, I'll try.

Some of what has been written has been written by (Joe Raines) and myself on facebook attached is my father's phone book page of the general

Joe Raines--- For your father to have a generals number is very interesting and if the general is assigned to Washington that is even more interesting? Maybe they were good friends? But I don't think so. General Griffith served under secretary of war from the forties into the fifties if this is the right guy? He was a personal assistant to Louis Johnson. The fact Gen Paul had unknown duties tells me he was in the very trenches of national security and could never speak about any of his activities or knowledge of things until he passed on. Now the Gen has been in the trenches of national security and its possible he may have been a big part of the CIA, or associated with CIA as an advisor?

Joe Raines--- The general 1917 to 1966, worked under Johnson and was apparently involved with the armed forces. Working under Johnson it was apparent Johnson was a very big player and when he took sick some tried to claim he was mentally ill. Griffith didn't like president Truman because he fired MacArthur and Louis Johnson. According to the Gen Johnson was the ME man and oil was still the subject of many meetings. One thing was clear was JFK and the CIA were at war over the bay of pigs and the CIA was spoiling for a war it was said and JFK wanted to prevent war at all costs and if I am not mistaken Gen Griffith was still involved with operations or had good knowledge of what was taking place! It seems the information of the Generals death is unclear?

Scott Kaiser--- You're right, he (General Paul Griffith) also served in the pentagon for an undisclosed amount of years, his time and duties with the pentagon are unknown. Paul Griffith dies in 1966, just three years after the Kennedy assassination, hello! Does anyone know how he died at the age of forty nine? That's 49, he was Sectary of Defence in charge of the Navy and all our military, why would my father have a General and a president's phone number in his phone book? My father was no one or should I say had no real government job or did he? And yes, my father also has president Nixon, Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis in his phone book. Along with many others, I mean many important people that were either implemented in Kennedy's assassination or Watergate, so you tell me? And could Father John Bonn be a priest that maybe my father confessed too?

Joe Raines--- There were a handful of suspicious deaths of some people trying to get interviews, or those who may have seen something that some did not want known! Now time may have passed by, and if there was once a group responsible for this assassination, and possible cover-up, they are either dead, of feel safe enough that no one is going to find anything! Still the facts that were first given don't add up. The reports are not accurate and anyone who seemed to have a different version such as an eyewitness, was either shot dead or killed in an an automobile accident. Now maybe one death can be explained away or over looked, but there was a good amount of suspicious deaths of so called witnesses, or people of interest who were murdered under questionable circumstances. As a former investigator I always keep an open mind to details or certain things that stick out. Believe me when I say the most important witness in the center of this whole assassination of JFK, Mr Oswald, was himself assassinated right in front of millions. This was planned right up to the shot fired into Oswald's gut! The first lame excuse was Jack Ruby a nightclub owner was over come with grief and anger. So tell me this, knowing there would be outrage and some looking to take revenge why is it Oswald is led right by a crowd, no secret Service, no bullet proof vest on Oswald, and no other visible armed officers or even military? Why wasn't Oswald surrounded? No one should have even been aware of what time, or where the transport of Oswald to court would be? This was National security, and what was very troubling is no one really focused on this? Oswald was setup, and it appears some cops may have also had a hand in this!! Look at the killing of MLK, and tell me this was just one person?

I am seeking additional information about General Paul Griffith, his work with the Pentagon, Washington D.C., his death, anything about him and what were his duties? Thanking you all, well in advance for any information anyone can provide.

P.S. I also wondered if the "Guy" in my father's phone book page is in fact Guy Banister? It wouldn't surprise me considering the company my father kept.

Scott

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20673422/Guy%20Banister%20and%20General%20Paul%20Griffith.jpg

Hi Scott,

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NMpMJlJMtSUJ:www.trumanlibrary.org/hstpaper/griffithph.htm+%22paul+h+griffith+papers%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

bump

This is all very good information and well worth reading, all very well documented research, I can't thank you enough for this information, and I'm now seeing how it links to my dad, I really can't thank you all enough, and if there's anything I can do for you Tom and Linda just let me know, I'll try.

Scott,

Feel free to message me at FB anytime you need research help.

Scott

Hi Scott,

bump

Tommy, I just noticed your post, "no bump", thanks for that info, and yes! Its all very interesting, I'm like in Heaven reading every-one's information, and I owe it to you all, goes to show, I'm no reseacher never said I was, and I wouldn't have this information if it wasn't for all of you. You guy's and women are incredible! :D

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Scott,

Feel free to message me at FB anytime you need research help.

Just saw this, goes to show I'm on cloud 9 right now, there is so much reading I'm doing, thanks! Mrs Minor... :D

Hi Scott,

I found a decent amount of information on Griffith but nothing that hasn't already been fleshed out on here. He was definitely in high demand as a public speaker promoting the military. Although the quality isn't the best, I did find a rare image from 1933 that I attached.

post-6350-091058100 1329610412_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Zach

Hi Scott,

I found a decent amount of information on Griffith but nothing that hasn't already been fleshed out on here. He was definitely in high demand as a public speaker promoting the military. Although the quality isn't the best, I did find a rare image from 1933 that I attached.

post-6350-091058100 1329610412_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Zach

Cool beans! Thanks Zach!