The Education Forum

JFK: Did he know he was going to die?

John Simkin

Eugene B. Connolly has asked the following question:

Having studied Ancient History - Roman and Greek I was reading an article on the assassination of Julius Caesar on 15th March, 44 BC in which it is claimed that Caesar had an idea, indeed ideas- forebodings - that he would be assassinated. Caesar was once asked how he would like to die. In his answer Caesar said he didn't mind how he died as long as he died quickly and without pain.

It seems that President Kennedy in a discussion on the life and assassination of Abraham Lincoln was asked how he would deal with an assassination attempt on himself. Kennedy replied - like Caesar - that he didn't care if death came as long as it came quickly and without pain.

My question is: Did Kennedy have any feelings or forebodings - premonitions - that he would be assassinated? Did he ever express these feelings to anyone?

Having studied Ancient History - Roman and Greek I was reading an article on the assassination of Julius Caesar on 15th March, 44 BC in which it is claimed that Caesar had an idea, indeed ideas- forebodings - that he would be assassinated. Caesar was once asked how he would like to die. In his answer Caesar said he didn't mind how he died as long as he died quickly and without pain.

It seems that President Kennedy in a discussion on the life and assassination of Abraham Lincoln was asked how he would deal with an assassination attempt on himself. Kennedy replied - like Caesar - that he didn't care if death came as long as it came quickly and without pain.

My question is: Did Kennedy have any feelings or forebodings - premonitions - that he would be assassinated? Did he ever express these feelings to anyone?

Kennedy did comment that it would be easy for someone with a rifle in a building--but he also said that anyone willing to give his life to kill the President could do it.

Martin Shackelford

According to Pierre Salinger, Kennedy’s press secretary, there was evidence that there might be an assassination attempt in Dallas. In his book, With Kennedy, he explains that he received a letter on 19th November from Dallas. It said: “Don’t let the President come down here… I think something terrible will happen to him.”

Salinger said their was general concern about Kennedy’s safety at this time. He quotes recent right-wing attacks on Earl Warren and Adlai Stevenson in Texas. Salinger wrote: “On the several occasions the subject had come up in discussions with him, he always replied: ‘If anyone is crazy enough to want to kill a President of the United States, he can do it. All he must be prepared to do is to give his life for the President’s.”

• 2 weeks later...

Kenneth O'Donnell tells an interesting story about this possible prediction in his book 'Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye". Apparently, Jackie became concerned when she saw the anti-Kennedy tirade in the Daily News. Jackie asked JFK if he thought someone would take a shot at him during the tour of Dallas. He replied: "Jackie, if somebody wants to shoot me from a window with a rifle, nobody can stop it, so why worry about it?"

• 1 year later...

JFK also had his publicist write in the New York Times , predicting that ( not exact quote) "if there was ever a Coup D Etat in the United States , to look at the CIA for doing it."

I believe these other stories are put out there to align with the cover story; The absolute false story that Lee Oswald did this. Nothing could be further from the truth.

While there was some recklessness in Kennedy's behavior while in public, his own people got him , not someone willing to sacrifice himself. Quite the opposite , the real perpetrators of the crime not only did get away with it, they are working vociferously to this day to pursuade the masses to continue believing in the mascuerade.

Edited by Peter McGuire

• 5 years later...

Possibly that very statement holds the answer.

Because Kennedy held that POV then he attains a kind of freedom to act. His actions cause reactions but those reaction actions do not produce a controllable or predictable reaction. IOW a loose cannon that seems to be pointed in the 'wrong' direction. ?