The Education Forum

OVERSEAS WEEKLY - CIA - EDWIN A. WALKER

I would be interested to read informed comments about the European edition of the Overseas Weekly and connections to Eugene Bernald who bought time for American religious broadcasts on international radio stations. But Edwin A. Walker specifically named Bernald as the person out to tar him with the brush of the John Birch Society and thereby oust him from his job. This is the same Edwin Walker that Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly took a pot shot at, before he allegedly shot Kennedy and Tippett.

6 hours ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

I would be interested to read informed comments about the European edition of the Overseas Weekly and connections to Eugene Bernald who bought time for American religious broadcasts on international radio stations. But Edwin A. Walker specifically named Bernald as the person out to tar him with the brush of the John Birch Society and thereby oust him from his job. This is the same Edwin Walker that Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly took a pot shot at, before he allegedly shot Kennedy and Tippett.

From US Senate committee hearings on "Cold War Education" in the military:

Overseas_walker_3_jbs.png

Overseas_Weekly_walker_1.png

Overseas_Weekly_walker_2.png

6 hours ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

I was just doing a little research on this topic because of your thread, Mervyn.   This snippet below may not be exactly relevant to your interest, but I didn't realize that the Overseas Weekly was related to the Dinkin story, insofar as he uses the publication to tag The Right with an upcomming assassination.

Dinkin_overseas_weekly.png

SOURCE: Kennedy Assassination Chronicles, Vol 4, Issue 1, page 36.  (JFK Lancer Productions & Publications)

Edited by Jason Ward

Hi Mervyn, in the interest of keeping the threads somewhat organized, how about we move this discussion below from the Walker thread over to your thread?

1 hour ago, Jason Ward said:

Hi Mervyn,

One interesting fact to me is that Walker and the JBS and the Minutemen are all full speed ahead with promoting a conspiracy explanation for the assassination of JFK.    Their twist is, I believe, the communists did it, but the CIA helped them cover it up.  Walker thinks of himself as both the target of communist aggression and US government aggression from the Kennedy brothers and the communist infiltrated CIA, it seems.

Please see my post about Hosty a couple notches up - he typifies the Right's thoughts on the assassination, IMO.

Bernald's 2000 obituary talks a little bit about Overseas Weekly and the Birchers:

bernad1.png

Bernad2.png

Bernad3.png

SOURCE: http://obits.lohud.com/obituaries/lohud/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-bernald&pid=148823391

Hi Jason. Yes I came across this single obit - there do not seem to be other reports in other publications. I do have a subscription to newspaper archives and that is where I discovered and read Walker's response in essence, to Eugene Bernald. Now that was strange because Bernald was not the publisher of Overseas Weekly and I am having a great difficulty unravelling the history of Pan American Broadcasting Corporation. 'The World Tomorrow' was a strange quasi-political program wrapped inside a religious message, but it was a half hour of talk and not a religious church service. That program was the underpinning of the entire pop music 'explosion' via offshore radio broadcasting to the UK in the Sixties. But back in 1951, before the Cold War became freezing, Bernald had managed to promote the Lutheran Layman's League program 'Bringing Christ to the Nations' on stations behind the Iron Curtain. That program also began in Tangier on another base used by CIA for broadcasting and its chief promoter was the head of General Motors. So I am not following either Walker or especially the antics of the John Birch Society, but because I already have a lot of related information that ties my theme to Gordon McLendon and Clint Murchison, and their involvement with what I believe to be broadcasting 'fronts', what Walker has to say becomes relevant. His comments are interesting because he has been written off by many as a right-wing nutcase, but when you read what the man had to say it comes across as a reasonable point of view. The Overseas Weekly remains a strange entity modeled on National Enquirer (which I have also researched), and it straddled the fence with Mafia interests that walked hand in glove with CIA interests

Mervyn,

1. I found one small reference to Bernald in an academic article about radio evangelists.   There are several names mentioned in the article and an association with The Lutheran Hour radio show.   If you need it I can send you a .pdf

Matzko, P. (2016). Radio politics, origin myths, and the creation of new evangelicalism. Fides Et Historia, 48(1), 61.

2. I found one small reference in Lexis-Nexis to Eugene Bernald, but it must be his son?  (still might be good as a research contact)

Facing no challengers, incumbents representing special districts to be appointed

Santa Cruz Sentinel (California)

August 11, 2015 Tuesday

Copyright 2015 Santa Cruz Sentinel

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency

Section: NATIONAL POLITICAL NEWS

Length: 272 words

Byline: Samantha Clark, Santa Cruz Sentinel, Calif.

Body

Aug. 11--SANTA CRUZ -- Facing no challengers, incumbents representing four special districts will be appointed by the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in lieu of a November election.

No new candidates filed by the deadline on Friday, and no one called for a measure to be placed on the Nov. 3 ballot by the deadline.

"When there is an insufficient number of nominees who file for a contest -- such as two seats and two people file -- the candidates are appointed to their full terms rather than holding an election," county clerk Gail Pellerin.

The following incumbents will serve four-year terms.

Depot Hill Geological Hazard Abatement District:

--Eugene Bernald

3. When his daughter got married from a 1978 NY times notice:

Eugene_bernald_ny_times.png

4. If you want to give some more specifics on what you maybe want to search for, I'd be happy to use my university level resources.  I enjoy just providing basic evidence and letting others do most of the arguing.

Jason

Edited by Jason Ward

Mervyn, here a few more tidbits I found around Pan American Broadcasting....

1. From the PR Newswire, 04JAN2008

panamerican_broadcasting4.png

2. The New York Times; May 4, 1954, p10:
panamerican_broadcasting3_gene_bernald.p

3. The New York Times; September 22, 1950, p47:
panamerican_broadcasting3.png

4. The New York Times; September 14, 1949, p48:
panamerican_broadcasting_2.png

5. The New York Times; October 22, 1955, p12
panamerican_broadcasting_1.png

10 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Mervyn,

1. I found one small reference to Bernald in an academic article about radio evangelists.   There are several names mentioned in the article and an association with The Lutheran Hour radio show.   If you need it I can send you a .pdf

Matzko, P. (2016). Radio politics, origin myths, and the creation of new evangelicalism. Fides Et Historia, 48(1), 61.

2. I found one small reference in Lexis-Nexis to Eugene Bernald, but it must be his son?  (still might be good as a research contact)

Facing no challengers, incumbents representing special districts to be appointed

Santa Cruz Sentinel (California)

August 11, 2015 Tuesday

Copyright 2015 Santa Cruz Sentinel

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency

Section: NATIONAL POLITICAL NEWS

Length: 272 words

Byline: Samantha Clark, Santa Cruz Sentinel, Calif.

Body

Aug. 11--SANTA CRUZ -- Facing no challengers, incumbents representing four special districts will be appointed by the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in lieu of a November election.

No new candidates filed by the deadline on Friday, and no one called for a measure to be placed on the Nov. 3 ballot by the deadline.

"When there is an insufficient number of nominees who file for a contest -- such as two seats and two people file -- the candidates are appointed to their full terms rather than holding an election," county clerk Gail Pellerin.

The following incumbents will serve four-year terms.

Depot Hill Geological Hazard Abatement District:

--Eugene Bernald

3. When his daughter got married from a 1978 NY times notice:

Eugene_bernald_ny_times.png

4. If you want to give some more specifics on what you maybe want to search for, I'd be happy to use my university level resources.  I enjoy just providing basic evidence and letting others do most of the arguing.

Jason

Jason, Thanks for your kind offer which I accept. Some of your links I have come across but not the ones from the New York Times. Interesting the link to Radio Goa - 'The World Tomorrow' was on that station as well.

Jason, I also posted a rather lengthy explanation about what I am doing on the Walker-Oswald thread. Do you know if the lawsuit transcript of the Walker v. Overseas Weekly case is available? By the way, yes, I would like the pdf of the academic article. Thank you.