The Education Forum

Fernando Fernandez?

From Richard Billings' New Orleans Journal

http://www.jfk-online.com/billings2.html

Giant (Jim Garrison) has talked to two Cubans who convinced there was a camp set up to plan and train for Castro assassination . . . Camp was north of lake . . . A spy was found in camp in August, driven to Miami and questioned by Laureano Batista . . .

Fowler points out there were two camps -- one CDP where the spy, Fernando Fernandez, was caught; another run by ultra conservatives . . .

From a 3/22/67 Report to Jim Garrison by William Gurvich of an interview with Rudolph Richard Davis as found in Larry Hancock's, Someone Would Have Talked, Exhibits 5-3A

"One member of this camp was Fernando Fernandez, an oriental, "one hundred percent chinese.""

Is the man on the left of this photograph with his hands behind his head, Fernando Fernandez? Someone may have a better copy of this picture. This is WC Exhibit Pizzo 453-A found in 21H139.

Steve Thomas

"One member of this camp was Fernando Fernandez, an oriental, "one hundred percent chinese.""

Is the man on the left of this photograph with his hands behind his head, Fernando Fernandez? Someone may have a better copy of this picture. This is WC Exhibit Pizzo 453-A found in 21H139. (Steve Thomas)

Hi Steve,

A Chinese man named Fernando Fernandez is curious indeed. :clapping

Below is a shot of Oswald handing out leaflets with the guy in question present.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the possibility was raised whether or not the oriental guy with Oswald in New Orleans was the same guy photographed with Jack Ruby (amongst the reporters on the left) during the LHO press conference after his arrest. (second attachment)

The hair is different as the individual with Ruby has a flat top. I have been trying to get an image of Fernando Fernandez for quite some time but without success.

James

James,

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the possibility was raised whether or not the oriental guy with Oswald in New Orleans was the same guy photographed with Jack Ruby (amongst the reporters on the left) during the LHO press conference after his arrest. (second attachment)

The hair is different as the individual with Ruby has a flat top. I have been trying to get an image of Fernando Fernandez for quite some time but without success.

I don't think it's the same guy. The bone structure seems different.

Let me know if you ever do come up with a photo. I've been researching the whole MDC thing lately. The people involved seem to be tied into Oswald's life in New Orleans.

Steve Thomas

I don't think it's the same guy. The bone structure seems different.

Let me know if you ever do come up with a photo. I've been researching the whole MDC thing lately. The people involved seem to be tied into Oswald's life in New Orleans. (Steve Thomas)

Hi Steve,

I don't think it is the same guy either. I wish I could remember where the original claim was made.

I also agree regarding Oswald in New Orleans. The other individuals present in that photograph of LHO handing out the leaflets are also quite curious, especially the guy 4th from the left in the white shirt and black tie. I am wondering if this could be Isidro Borja?

James

Is the man on the left of this photograph with his hands behind his head, Fernando Fernandez?  Someone may have a better copy of this picture. This is WC Exhibit Pizzo 453-A found in 21H139.

From the WC testimony of Carlos Bringuer:

Mr. BRINGUIER. [indicating.] See this guy, see this Japanese? He is from the Kasuga Co. here in New Orleans. He had the office in International Trade Mart.

Mr. LIEBELER. And you pointed to the person standing immediately behind and to Oswald's right with his hands up behind his head?

Mr. BRINGUIER. [Demonstrating.] That is right.

Steve Thomas

James,

I have been trying to get an image of Fernando Fernandez for quite some time but without success.

From the WC testimony of Carlos Bringuer:

Mr. BRINGUIER. And there is something that I want to show you too. I told to you about the training camp that were across the Lake Pontchartrain.

Mr. LIEBELER. Yes.

Mr. BRINGUIER. [Producing newspaper.] At the beginning of August in the Diario Las Americas from Miami for September 4---

Mr. LIEBELER. For September 4, 1963?

Mr. BRINGUIER. That is right. [indicating photograph.] This is the spy who was inside the training camp.

[indicating.] Here is another interview from Fernandez here 3 days later.

Mr. LIEBELER. You are referring to a copy of the same newspaper but for the date of September 6, 1963, on the front page of which----

Mr. BRINGUIER. [indicating.] Here. "Fernando Fernandez is in favor of coexistence with the Communist regime of Castro." That is the title in Spanish.

I don't know what paper he was referring to though, unless Diario Las Americas is the name of the paper. The Miami Public Library probably has archive copies back to 1963 on microfilm.

Steve Thomas