The Education Forum

Liddy sworn deposition on the origin of Watergate

Douglas Caddy

On December 6, 1996, G. Gordon Liddy gave a sworn deposition in Washington, D.C. in which he described the origins of the Watergate scandal. The deposition was given in the following styled lawsuit:

In the United States District Court for the District of Columbia

Maureen K. Dean and John W. Dean, Plaintiffs

v.

No. 92-1807

St. Martin’s Press, Inc., (HHG)(AK)

Len Colodny, Robert Gettlin,

G. Gordon Liddy, and

Phillip Mackin Bailley,

Defendants

The 148 page deposition presents an encompassing summary from the viewpoint of Mr. Liddy.

There are many highlights in the deposition. Attention is called especially to:

Pages 86 to 96: Planning and carrying out the first break-in on May 26, 27 and 28, 1972

Page 98: Planning the June 17, 1972 break-in upon instructions from Jeb Magruder.

These are Liddy’s words:

And that’s what he [Magruder] wanted. So that when I went back to Hunt and Hunt was upset. He said, “My God,” he said, “Do you know how much trouble it took us to get in there in the first place? All those three entries,” and this, that and the other thing, “And now this? With all the camera and all this film and all this exposure, I mean, the longer you are in there the more vulnerable you are.”

I said, “Howard, that’s what wanted, so we have to do it.” So we set up to do that.

Page 103: Describing the June 17, 1972 break-in

Page 105: Liddy’s words again:

But in any event, we held a council of war, so to speak. And the Cubans, they said, “Look, whatever the decision is, we are up to it.”

Question: Where was this council of war occurring?

Answer: This was in that – the room that Mr. Hunt and I had been in, the one with all the equipment that Mr. McCord had. And McCord, he was for doing it. Hunt was very, very loathe at first, but at any rate the decision was left up to me, because I was the operational chief. And I said, “Okay, we will go again.” And they went again. And the – they got in.

The two links below both lead to the 148 page transcript of the Liddy deposition. If one link does not work, try the other. If you have trouble making a link work, copy it and place it in your browser.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:x3l4K...clnk&cd=164

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:x3l4K...clnk&cd=165

Edited by Douglas Caddy

These are Liddy’s words:

And that’s what he [McGruder] wanted. So that when I went back to Hunt and Hunt was upset. He said, “My God,” he said, “Do you know how much trouble it took us to get in there in the first place? All those three entries,”

Yeah, but Liddy's a xxxx. He's a proven xxxx. And he lied about this, too.

They didn't "get in there in the first place." There was no "first break-in" at all:

There was no "first break-in" at the Watergate
G. Gordon Liddy and the Phantom Polaroids
Liddy, McCord, and the Phantom Watergate "Bugs"
Liddy, Baldwin, and the Phantom Phone Logs

So all this "Liddy said": it's nothing but more CIA-written lies you're packaging and peddling here. Why?

There were no "three entries":

26 May 1972: The "Ameritas Dinner" and Alfred Baldwin
27 May 1972: The "second failed attempt" and Alfred Baldwin

All I can opine about Liddy's "deposition" is that it's perjury on top of a fraud on top of a hoax. As far as I personally can deduce from all the evidence contained in those articles above, Liddy is a pathological xxxx who walks around wrapped in the American flag, beating the drum for his patriotism after he masterminded a wholesale assault on the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war and contributed significantly to the deaths of untold numbers of Americans while he was playing his cheap, dirty little spy games. You can tell him that's my opinion of his "deposition."

There isn't a shred of evidence for any of his anecdotal claims, or Hunt's either—both of whom, by the way, were your clients. So alll you're doing is propagating the CIA lies further.

Why would you want to do that, Doug?

Why won't you go anywhere near any of the articles linked to above? Why do you avoid them like leprosy? Why are you just busy spreading the official CIA propaganda line instead of addressing the actual issues that prove that what you just posted is a garbage bag of Liddy lies?

Ashton Gray

Edited by Ashton Gray

"Ashton", the only evidence that Liddy is a "xxxx" is that you say-so. Get off your high-horse, will ya? Liddy spent years in prison because he refused to rat-out Nixon or Mitchell, and you know it. If you were to use your real name and publicly call Liddy a xxxx and a conspirator against Nixon, I suspect he'd show up at your house the next day and punch you in the nose. You seem to know nothing about the man outside of his being one of "them." Liddy HATED men like Magruder and Dean. You've offered nothing to indicate that Liddy conspired with Dean aganst Nixon. You just made it up.

"Ashton", the only evidence that Liddy is a "xxxx" is that you say-so. Get off your high-horse, will ya? Liddy spent years in prison because he refused to rat-out Nixon or Mitchell, and you know it. If you were to use your real name and publicly call Liddy a xxxx and a conspirator against Nixon, I suspect he'd show up at your house the next day and punch you in the nose. You seem to know nothing about the man outside of his being one of "them." Liddy HATED men like Magruder and Dean. You've offered nothing to indicate that Liddy conspired with Dean aganst Nixon. You just made it up.

So he went to jail. However, it was not Nixon he was "refusing to 'rat-out' ". Why are you still pretending you don't get it??? You have truley " become" Tim Gratz. Maybe you always were and I just did not notice.

I really doubt Liddy would ever attempt to track down some poster here at the forum. AG is merely stating an opinion. Liddy is a public figure. And a felon. If Liddy took the time to find AG and assault him, then he'd be back in prison. (Where he belongs anyway: intead he's rewarded with a radio show and guest appearances on tv. Makes me want to puke).

How the hell do you KNOW who Liddy "hated"? (Or did you have lunch with him last week ,after you met with Oliver Stone) :D (Sorry coud not resist that one).

Come on Pat, give up the ghost will ya.

Dawn

So he went to jail. However, it was not Nixon he was "refusing to 'rat-out' ". Why are you still pretending you don't get it??? You have truley " become" Tim Gratz. Maybe you always were and I just did not notice.

I really doubt Liddy would ever attempt to track down some poster here at the forum. AG is merely stating an opinion. Liddy is a public figure. And a felon. If Liddy took the time to find AG and assault him, then he'd be back in prison. (Where he belongs anyway: intead he's rewarded with a radio show and guest appearances on tv. Makes me want to puke).

How the hell do you KNOW who Liddy "hated"? (Or did you have lunch with him last week ,after you met with Oliver Stone) :lol: (Sorry coud not resist that one).

Come on Pat, give up the ghost will ya.

Dawn

Dawn, Liddy was the sole participant in Watergate to refuse to cooperate with the Watergate investigation. As a result, he served far more time in far worse places than anyone else involved. It makes no sense for him to have refused to talk if he was a collaborator in a plan to disgrace Nixon. Years later, through his radio show, he began making statements in support of the "Dean's wife was a whore" theory on Watergate. Dean sued him. In the updated edition of Liddy's book Will, he discussed his belief that Dean arranged for the break-in in order to get damaging info about his wife out of the wrong hands. Liddy expressed his disgust with Dean, and bragged about physically intimidating Dean when they briefly shared a room. It's clear he hates Dean. He also writes about how John Mitchell was largely innocent, and was made to take the fall for Dean and Magruder's actions. In all versions of his book Will, Liddy ranted on about how much he hated Magruder. He thought Magruder a spineless coward and says so. There is no reason to believe he collaborated with these men to bring down Mitchell and Nixon. It's entirely a fantasy invented by "AG" as part of his wacky scenario.

You really need to read books such as Blind Ambition, A Piece of Tape, and Will, before embracing AG's theories. The men wrting these books had their own agendas and were not taking orders from anyone. They were not co-conspirators against Nixon. No way, Jose.

Edited by Pat Speer