The Education Forum

Communist Propaganda & Oswald

Greg Parker

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, When Os came back from USSR to Ft. Worth, and started recieving different publications that surely would have been deemed foriegn propaganda, the PO became so suspicious that they sent an inspector out to ( Mercedes St) inquire about him with the neighbors. Therefore, they were surely concerned about it, yet seemingly did nothing as far as a follow-up. Perhaps he was put on a list for future mail cover at that time.

Greg, When Os came back from USSR to Ft. Worth, and started recieving different publications that surely would have been deemed foriegn propaganda, the PO became so suspicious that they sent an inspector out to ( Mercedes St) inquire about him with the neighbors. Therefore, they were surely concerned about it, yet seemingly did nothing as far as a follow-up. Perhaps he was put on a list for future mail cover at that time.

William, can you elaborate on this please?

Greg, When Os came back from USSR to Ft. Worth, and started recieving different publications that surely would have been deemed foriegn propaganda, the PO became so suspicious that they sent an inspector out to ( Mercedes St) inquire about him [/color]with the neighbors. Therefore, they were surely concerned about it, yet seemingly did nothing as far as a follow-up. Perhaps he was put on a list for future mail cover at that time.

Edited by John Dolva

Greg, When Os came back from USSR to Ft. Worth, and started recieving different publications that surely would have been deemed foriegn propaganda, the PO became so suspicious that they sent an inspector out to ( Mercedes St) inquire about him [/color]with the neighbors. Therefore, they were surely concerned about it, yet seemingly did nothing as far as a follow-up. Perhaps he was put on a list for future mail cover at that time.

John , I'm racking my brain trying to remember where I read that, I'll look around for it. One of Oswalds neighbors reported that a man from the PO came out to his home and inquired about his next door neighbor Oswald , and if he seemed allright to him or something to that effect. They were checking up on Lee with his neighbors, due to the type of mail that had been delivered there in his name. Perhaps I should have waited to post this untill I had the reference in hand.

John : Ahhh , now I remember ! It was from a talk Larry Hancock ( HELP Larry!) made at Lancer in 97', regarding the paper trail Os created through the postal system. He said his landlord at Mercedes St. was approached by someone he thought was from the PO, in the fall of 62', about Oswald and the subversive material he was recieving in the mail. When Os found out about this he filed a complaint form, protesting this interference. Perhaps Larry can elaborate, if he sees this !

John : Ahhh , now I remember ! It was from a talk Larry Hancock ( HELP Larry!) made at Lancer in 97', regarding the paper trail Os created through the postal system. He said his landlord at Mercedes St. was approached by someone he thought was from the PO, in the fall of 62', about Oswald and the subversive material he was recieving in the mail. When Os found out about this he filed a complaint form, protesting this interference. Perhaps Larry can elaborate, if he sees this !

From John Newman's "Oswald & The CIA:"

Page 268:

"Chester Riggs [LHO's Mercedes landlord] knew that something about Oswald's mail was out of the ordinary. Riggs told the Secret Service after the assassination that the US Postal Investigation Service had investigated Oswald for receiving subversive mail while he was living at 2703 Mercedes."

Footnote: http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol22_0093b.htm

Page 273:

"The above was not all of Oswald's mail activity. But it led to actions by the post office which Oswald protested. He had to execute a post office Form 2153-X, instructing them to "always" deliver foreign propaganda mailings. He added this comment to the form: "I protest this intimidation." "

Footnote: "New York Customs received PO Form 2153-X from NYC PO which is executed by Oswald, Box 2915; CD 60 pp 2-3; FBI reports Oswald's writing, "I protest this intimidation"; see CD 205, p.157"

"Chester Riggs [LHO's Mercedes landlord] knew that something about Oswald's mail was out of the ordinary. Riggs told the Secret Service after the assassination that the US Postal Investigation Service had investigated Oswald for receiving subversive mail while he was living at 2703 Mercedes." (Robert Charles-Dunne quoting text)

Does anyone know if this Chester Riggs (landlord) is the same person as Deputy Sheriff Chester Riggs?

James

Thanks to the info provided here, elsewhere by Jim Olmstead and Jean Davison, and some further info from the web, I have been able to put together a chronology which I think highlights the concerns.

Before that, I will state it also shows that there was nothing suspicious about the PO actions. It was doing exactly as the new law required.

March 1961: JFK orders PO and Customs to cease withholding foreign mail deemed to be Communist propaganda.

August 10, 1962: Lee and Marina move to 2703 Mercades St, Fort Worth.

October, 1962: Marina moves in with Elana Hall. Lee moves to YMCA in Dallas.

October 9, 1962: Lee rents PO box.

October 10, 1962: Lee fills out change of mail address form giving new PO box as address.

October 12, 1962: Lee starts work at JCS.

November 4, 1962: Oswalds move to Elspeth St, Dallas

January 7, 1963: New law takes affect requiring PO to hold foreign Communist propaganda for 20 days while addressee completes and returns form confirming they want the material forwarded to them.

January ? 1963: Oswald subscribes to 3 Russian publications. (CE 1117)

January, 1963: Publications posted triggering PO action per new law.

January, 1963: PO inspector visits last known address for Oswald in relation to Russian newspapers. Last known address by PO would be Mercades.

January, 1963: PO Form 2153-X is left in Lee's PO box for him to complete and return advising whether or not he wishes to receive the Russian publications. Oswald completes and returns form, adding "I protest this intimidation".

April, 1963: Corliss Lamont launches legal action challenging the new law.

1965: The law is found by the Supreme Court to be unconstitutional and is repealed.

------------------

What I want to draw attention to is the timing of Oswald buying the subscriptions - at exactly the time a law was introduced which would guarantee his name would be listed as a potential subversive.

The law, btw, was an amendment to the Postal Rate bill. If it can be discovered who introduced said amendment, I think those running Oswald may well be found among friends and supporters of this Congressman.

It is not the only instance where timing of Oswald mail coincides with actions of others.

His ordering of weapons via mail coincides with the Dodd subcommittee investigation of that very thing. Moreover, the choice of weapons and companies from which to purchase said weapons coincides with the very weapons and companies of interest to that subcommittee.

Then on May 26, he writes the FPCC requesting a charter and follows that up with a series of letters and actions which link the FPCC to the CPUSA and SWP, and "expose" his past as a "defector".

The timing coincidence here is that on May 16 and May 20, the FBI received information from informants that the FPCC had cleansed itself of CP and SWP influence. Oswald's actions then, can be seen as an attempt to reestablish the SWP-CP-FPCC ménage à trois, if only through a paper trail.

"Chester Riggs [LHO's Mercedes landlord] knew that something about Oswald's mail was out of the ordinary. Riggs told the Secret Service after the assassination that the US Postal Investigation Service had investigated Oswald for receiving subversive mail while he was living at 2703 Mercedes." (Robert Charles-Dunne quoting text)

Does anyone know if this Chester Riggs (landlord) is the same person as Deputy Sheriff Chester Riggs?

James

The Secret Service report located at:

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol22_0093b.htm

specifies that "C.A. Riggs" worked at Orbit Industries of Fort Worth, in whose offices he was interviewed. It is possible that Chester Riggs had a prior or subsequent job as Sheriff's Deputy, or that he was related to the man of the same name who held that post. Elsewhere, the WC's published affidavit from him:

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol10_0119a.htm

stipulates that the SS interviewee's name was "Chester Allen Riggs Jr," which may suggest this man was the son of the Deputy Sheriff.

FWIW....

James

The Secret Service report located at:

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol22_0093b.htm

specifies that "C.A. Riggs" worked at Orbit Industries of Fort Worth, in whose offices he was interviewed. It is possible that Chester Riggs had a prior or subsequent job as Sheriff's Deputy, or that he was related to the man of the same name who held that post. Elsewhere, the WC's published affidavit from him:

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol10_0119a.htm

stipulates that the SS interviewee's name was "Chester Allen Riggs Jr," which may suggest this man was the son of the Deputy Sheriff.

FWIW....

Thanks, Robert.

I appreciate the information.

James

Thanks to the info provided here, elsewhere by Jim Olmstead and Jean Davison, and some further info from the web, I have been able to put together a chronology which I think highlights the concerns.

Before that, I will state it also shows that there was nothing suspicious about the PO actions. It was doing exactly as the new law required.

March 1961: JFK orders PO and Customs to cease withholding foreign mail deemed to be Communist propaganda.

August 10, 1962: Lee and Marina move to 2703 Mercades St, Fort Worth.

October, 1962: Marina moves in with Elana Hall. Lee moves to YMCA in Dallas.

October 9, 1962: Lee rents PO box.

October 10, 1962: Lee fills out change of mail address form giving new PO box as address.

October 12, 1962: Lee starts work at JCS.

November 4, 1962: Oswalds move to Elspeth St, Dallas

January 7, 1963: New law takes affect requiring PO to hold foreign Communist propaganda for 20 days while addressee completes and returns form confirming they want the material forwarded to them.

January ? 1963: Oswald subscribes to 3 Russian publications. (CE 1117)

January, 1963: Publications posted triggering PO action per new law.

January, 1963: PO inspector visits last known address for Oswald in relation to Russian newspapers. Last known address by PO would be Mercades.

January, 1963: PO Form 2153-X is left in Lee's PO box for him to complete and return advising whether or not he wishes to receive the Russian publications. Oswald completes and returns form, adding "I protest this intimidation".

April, 1963: Corliss Lamont launches legal action challenging the new law.

1965: The law is found by the Supreme Court to be unconstitutional and is repealed.

------------------

What I want to draw attention to is the timing of Oswald buying the subscriptions - at exactly the time a law was introduced which would guarantee his name would be listed as a potential subversive.

The law, btw, was an amendment to the Postal Rate bill. If it can be discovered who introduced said amendment, I think those running Oswald may well be found among friends and supporters of this Congressman.

It is not the only instance where timing of Oswald mail coincides with actions of others.

His ordering of weapons via mail coincides with the Dodd subcommittee investigation of that very thing. Moreover, the choice of weapons and companies from which to purchase said weapons coincides with the very weapons and companies of interest to that subcommittee.

Then on May 26, he writes the FPCC requesting a charter and follows that up with a series of letters and actions which link the FPCC to the CPUSA and SWP, and "expose" his past as a "defector".

The timing coincidence here is that on May 16 and May 20, the FBI received information from informants that the FPCC had cleansed itself of CP and SWP influence. Oswald's actions then, can be seen as an attempt to reestablish the SWP-CP-FPCC ménage à trois, if only through a paper trail.

Greg I agree completely on the effort to reestablish an association btw CP, SWP and FPCC. I also find it interesting that it was LHO"s future fave Corliss Lamont, who brought about the challenge to the Postal Sevice and Fereral Employees Salary Act of 1962, for withholding a copy of Peking News# 2 in 1963. He also challenged the PO right to maintain a list of subscribers wishing to recieve "Communist Political Propaganda"! He eventually won the case in 1965. Once again Os is ahead of the curve.