The Education Forum

Pat Finucane - No charges against security forces

Guest Gary Loughran

British intelligence?

Not an oxymoron, I think. Just an accolade stolen by a bunch of charlatans and criminals.

I prefer to call that bunch British Stupidity on Dexedrine. BSOD for short.

If I was Gordon Brown, I'd smash them into a thousand pieces, to coin a phrase.

Unfortunately, occupants of No 10 seem to go through a grooming process prior to occupancy, to make sure nothing so inconvenient is ever really on the cards.

Tony Benn, I suspect, was considered ungroomable - hence the panic in the early 1980s when it appeared he might succeed in becoming even deputy leader of a major party.

British intelligence?

Not an oxymoron, I think. Just an accolade stolen by a bunch of charlatans and criminals.

Unfortunately, occupants of No 10 seem to go through a grooming process prior to occupancy, to make sure nothing so inconvenient is ever really on the cards.

Tony Benn, I suspect, was considered ungroomable - hence the panic in the early 1980s when it appeared he might succeed in becoming even deputy leader of a major party.

Gordon Brown reviewed Austen Morgan's undistinguished biography of Harold Wilson for the Independent on Sunday in the paper's edition of 14 June 1992. "Nye, Clem, Jim, Michael and the other one" contains the following: "But he does not, despite his promise to do so, explain the sudden resignation in 1976. Nor does he get to the bottom of Wilson's obsession with the security services." Somehow I don't think Brown will be pursuing that line of enquiry now he's in No.10.

I think Benn's wife, an American, boasted the genuine distinction of joining the "Who Killed Kennedy?" committee in '64. Another reason for the CIA's gimps in British intel not to trust him.

Guest Gary Loughran
You APPEARED to back my analysis of Iraq which is a facsimile of Gaza/West Bank which is a facsimile of Ulster. IRA top brass have always been 'moled' (Stephen Hayes Chief of Staff '41 is perhaps the best example).

If that's an oxymoron what does that make smart asses like us who TRY to figure out what they're up to?

Michael,

I have no problem with your Iraq anlaysis.

I think we'd need to move into the mid seventies (PIRA) to have a serious study of the modern IRA. There is little discernible linkage between earlier 'versions' and the one that emerged in the modern troubles - the move to a predominantly Northern command also changed some things.

I think you've postitively identified us in your last statement, the oxymoron was a funny by me; I actually believe that british intelligence laid the foundation for a lot of intelligence agencies throughout the world.

FWIW

I actually believe that british intelligence laid the foundation for a lot of intelligence agencies throughout the world.

I think that's substantially correct. The foundations of US spookdom were largely British.

It is an achievement, IMO, on a par with the invention of the thumbscrew.

Not the high point of Britain's contribution to global culture. The low point.

Edited by Sid Walker

British intelligence?

Gordon Brown reviewed Austen Morgan's undistinguished biography of Harold Wilson for the Independent on Sunday in the paper's edition of 14 June 1992. "Nye, Clem, Jim, Michael and the other one" contains the following: "But he does not, despite his promise to do so, explain the sudden resignation in 1976. Nor does he get to the bottom of Wilson's obsession with the security services." Somehow I don't think Brown will be pursuing that line of enquiry now he's in No.10.

I think Benn's wife, an American, boasted the genuine distinction of joining the "Who Killed Kennedy?" committee in '64. Another reason for the CIA's gimps in British intel not to trust him.

You do have a great filing cabinet Paul.

I think you're right about Mrs Benn - I recall reading the same at one time, but had the info incorrectly filed under 'forgotten'.

Guest David Guyatt

Place into this mix the helicopter crash of Flight Zulu Delta on the Mull of Kintyre in June 1994. Onboard were 25 officers of Britain's Irish tasked intelligence comunity.

It remains a mystery, this curious (and some say convenient) accident.

Except, I suspect, to those who have ever heard of a HERF gun and those who whisper about an American chopper following Zulu Delta.

David

On the paedo front, I always thought the more recent Belgian case was of interest, seeing how the King of Belgium was (obviously maliciously) named as involved. Isn't Belgium where NATO is headquartered. In the US of A, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far from here, the Technical Services Staff of the CIA were also targeting (besides politico's and businessmen and other movers and shakers) senior Pentagon officers with their hidden cameras. George Orwell would've been pleased.

David

What really gets me is the realisation that these people, once blackmailed, are more or less given a free rein to engage in their vileness, knowing they are de facto untouchables (i.e., too important for the "powers" to relinquish control over them).

Guest David Guyatt

When the story of Madeleine McCann first broke I mentioned to one of my sons my fears that the European paedo network was responsibly. It was only a guess, an intuition, but the news coverage seemed to me to silently point in this direction.

So, my son just sent me this. With sadness, read on:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91210-1272677,00.html

McCanns 'Refuse To See Theorist'

Updated: 11:03, Thursday June 28, 2007

The parents of Madeleine McCann have reportedly refused to meet a Spanish investigator who claims he knows who abducted the

missing girl.

Antonio Toscano

Antonio Toscano flew to Portugal to hand over his evidence to police investigating the four-year-old's disappearance 56 days ago.

The journalist alleges the child was abducted by a French sex offender, as part of a Europe-wide paedophile network.

After talking to police, he was told Gerry and Kate McCann were not interested in seeing him.

He went to meet the girl's parents regardless but was turned away at their rented apartment, reports said.

In interview, Mr Toscano said he had learned a paedophile network child provider called "El Frances" was on his way to Portugal before the abduction.

The McCanns

He claimed: "When Madeleine disappeared I immediately established a relationship between the two.

"El Frances is a man who is extremely cold, meticulous and always has the same modus operandi.

"He presents false leads to the police. He has a team working for him who supply these false leads throughout the globe."

Mr Toscano suggested there was too much media coverage of Madeleine at the moment for the alleged abductor to deliver the child "safely".

But he insisted: "Madeleine is in Europe. She's alive and well. I'd like to tell the parents that but I haven't been able to get a meeting with them."

Four-year-old Madeleine

Singer Bryan Adams is reportedly set to perform "especially for Madeleine" during a concert tonight in Malta, where there have been a number of possible sightings of the four-year-old.

He is expected to call on the international media to keep reporting on the worldwide search for the missing British girl.

The Canadian star has already given the "Find Madeleine" campaign permission to use his hit song Everything I Do I Do It For You as part of the publicity drive.

A vigil for Madeleine is to be held at Ireland's Knock Shrine on Friday evening.

She disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in the seaside resort of Praia da Luz on May 3.