The Education Forum

Sam Kail

Also, I am re-reading "The Last Investigation". Has anyone here ever interviewed Col. Sam Kail? I would like to know more about him and his connection to David Phillips. Thanks (John Bockmon)

So not to divert the 'What's It Going To Take' thread, I thought I would start a new one.

Sam Kail is one of the more interesting characters.

Born in Huntington, West Virginia, he graduated from the Huntington High School. He received a bachelor of science degree from the U.S. Military Academy in West Point. Kail was also a graduate of the U.S. Army Infantry School, Command and General Staff College and the U.S. Army War College. He also attended the Southern Methodist University.

Kail retired in 1969.

From 1970 until 1972, he served as the Republican Party Precinct 159 Chairman. In 1972, he campaigned for the Republican nomination to state House District 33-E.

Kail was the president of the West Point Society of North Texas, a vice president in the Dallas chapter of the Association of the U.S. Army, and a member of the Retired Officers Association.

In 1960, he was stationed in Havana and according to Antonio Veciana, Maurice Bishop sent Veciana to meet with Kail regarding official support. Kail said they would speak in more detail in Dallas later. I'm not sure if that meeting ever took place but Veciana felt that Kail and Bishop were well acquainted.

In 1959, an arrest order in Havana was issued for David Morales (aka Stanley Zamka). Kail was the one who handled the Cubans as Morales obviously got out.

Sam Kail was rarely photographed but this is him below.

Kail's son, Samuel Kail Jr. is an army man and probably worth tracking down.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards