The Education Forum

Bush outlaws war protests

Here is someone who really knows what wars are really like.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6921217.stm

The last known surviving British soldier to have fought in the trenches of World War I has revisited the site where he fought 90 years ago.

Harry Patch, 109, from Somerset, made the trip to Belgium to recall his part in the Battle of Passchendaele which claimed 250,000 British casualties.

He also went to pay homage to the tens of thousands of German soldiers who lost their lives.

Tuesday marks the anniversary of the start of the Battle of Passchendaele.

Mr Patch served with the Duke of Cornwall's light infantry and was called up for service while working as an 18-year-old apprentice plumber in Bath.

During the fighting Mr Patch was badly wounded and three of his best friends were killed when a shell exploded just yards from where he was standing.

He made the trip with historian Richard van Emden, who helped Mr Patch write down his memories.

Mr van Emden showed him the five miles they advanced over 99 days which claimed 3,000 British casualties every day.

Mr Patch was also shown a recently discovered panoramic photograph of the fields taken in 1917.

"Too many died. War isn't worth one life," said Mr Patch.

He said war was the "calculated and condoned slaughter of human beings".

Mr Patch laid a wreath at the site of the trench, which now forms part of a German war cemetery.

"The Germans suffered the same as we did," he said.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is someone who really knows what wars are really like.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6921217.stm

The last known surviving British soldier to have fought in the trenches of World War I has revisited the site where he fought 90 years ago.

Harry Patch, 109, from Somerset, made the trip to Belgium to recall his part in the Battle of Passchendaele which claimed 250,000 British casualties.

He also went to pay homage to the tens of thousands of German soldiers who lost their lives.

Tuesday marks the anniversary of the start of the Battle of Passchendaele.

Mr Patch served with the Duke of Cornwall's light infantry and was called up for service while working as an 18-year-old apprentice plumber in Bath.

During the fighting Mr Patch was badly wounded and three of his best friends were killed when a shell exploded just yards from where he was standing.

He made the trip with historian Richard van Emden, who helped Mr Patch write down his memories.

Mr van Emden showed him the five miles they advanced over 99 days which claimed 3,000 British casualties every day.

Mr Patch was also shown a recently discovered panoramic photograph of the fields taken in 1917.

"Too many died. War isn't worth one life," said Mr Patch.

He said war was the "calculated and condoned slaughter of human beings".

Mr Patch laid a wreath at the site of the trench, which now forms part of a German war cemetery.

"The Germans suffered the same as we did," he said.

"You John Simkin are now Bush and Blair and its 9/12. You have the luxury of hindsight.

What do YOU do as leaders of both the UK and the USA in the days, weeks and months after the 9/11 attacks?"

Edited by Craig Lamson

"You John Simkin are now Bush and Blair and its 9/12. You have the luxury of hindsight.

What do YOU do as leaders of both the UK and the USA in the days, weeks and months after the 9/11 attacks?"

David Richardson has adequately answered this question but as I was named in the question I will contribute my own view of the subject.

If I was Tony Blair I would have given all the support I could to help the United States to catch and convict all those involved in the conspiracy. However, I would not have supported his invasion of Iraq as it had nothing to do with 9/11. There were no Muslim Terrorists based in Iraq at the time. Saddam Hussein treated the fundamentalists in the same way that he dealt all those who challenged his rule.

Are you of the opinion that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11? This appears to be the logic of your question.

As John Gray, a history professor at the London School of Economics pointed out in today’s Guardian:

The era of liberal interventionism in international affairs is over. Invading Iraq was always in part an oil grab. A strategic objective of the Bush administration was control of Iraqi oil, which forms a key portion of the Gulf reserves that are the lifeblood of global capitalism. Yet success in this exercise in geopolitics depended on stability after Saddam was gone, and here American thinking was befogged by illusions. Both the neoconservatives who launched the war and the many liberals who endorsed it in the US and Britain took it for granted that Iraq would remain intact.

As could be foreseen by anyone with a smattering of history, things have not turned out that way. The dissolution of Iraq is an unalterable fact, all too clear to those who have to cope on the ground, that is denied only in the White House and the fantasy world of the Green Zone. American-led regime change has created a failed state that no one has the power to rebuild. Yesterday's Oxfam report revealed that nearly one in three Iraqis is in need of emergency aid, and yet the anarchy that prevails prevents any such assistance.

Re Iraq, it will not be a pretty picture if we pull out before order can be established in that country. Progress is being made, however, and I can see light at the end of the tunnel! Or is that an approaching train?

It is unlikely but it is a possibility that the US "might win" (whatever that means). However, this is essentially a moral question. Should thousands of lives be sacrificed in the possibility that the US "might win". On today's BBC News several US soldiers in Iraq were interviewed about their views on the war. Only one thought that US troops should remain. Yet people like Tim want these young men and women to risk their lives on the slight possibility that the US "might win". I would be more impressed if he was volunteering to do the fighting. However, it is always those older men who are sitting safely in their armchairs who are so keen on the idea of invading other countries and sacrificing the lives of young people.

A report published by Oxfam this week reveals that since the occupation over 2 million Iraqis have fled the country (most of them are living in Jordan and Syria). Of those not living in refugee camps 15% cannot afford to eat regularly, 28% of children are malnourished, 70% are without a water supply and 75% lack effective sanitation. As the report points out the people of Iraq are in a far worse state than they were under the previous regime.

At the same time thousands of British and American soldiers have been killed whereas the rest will suffer from psychological disorders for the rest of their lives.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6927659.stm

Nor have the Americans adequate resources to finance this crazy war and as a result has a public education and health system more like a third world country. It was reported on the BBC that a shortage of funds is making it impossible to carry out the necessary maintenance that would have stopped the collapse of the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis.

Nor have the Americans adequate resources to finance this crazy war and as a result has a public education and health system more like a third world country. It was reported on the BBC that a shortage of funds is making it impossible to carry out the necessary maintenance that would have stopped the collapse of the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis.

The collapse of the bridge is both reality and metaphor for what is happening in the USA today. The 'richest' nation in the world has all that money concentrated in a very few hands. They are getting richer exploiting others, denying others - including their fellow citizens and engaging in wars, drug operations, financial hanky-panky et al. What remains of a once prosperous nation is crumbling - physically, morally, spiritually, legally, humanistically. Billions for tanks, bombers, cruise missiles and starwars...nothing for healthcare, housing or bridges....some priorities...but then the oligarchs have healthcare, nice homes and use helicopters or private jets. Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake" has become "Let them eat and work at McDonalds"

Over 70,000 bridges in the US are as structurally dangerous as the -35W bridge in Minneapolis. When are the American public going to realize that unless you raise taxes to pay for your infastructure you are going to end up like a Third World country. The same goes for spending on state education and health.

The collapse of the bridge is both reality and metaphor for what is happening in the USA today. The 'richest' nation in the world has all that money concentrated in a very few hands. They are getting richer exploiting others, denying others - including their fellow citizens and engaging in wars, drug operations, financial hanky-panky et al. What remains of a once prosperous nation is crumbling - physically, morally, spiritually, legally, humanistically. Billions for tanks, bombers, cruise missiles and starwars...nothing for healthcare, housing or bridges....some priorities...but then the oligarchs have healthcare, nice homes and use helicopters or private jets. Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake" has become "Let them eat and work at McDonalds"

Over 70,000 bridges in the US are as structurally dangerous as the -35W bridge in Minneapolis. When are the American public going to realize that unless you raise taxes to pay for your infastructure you are going to end up like a Third World country. The same goes for spending on state education and health.

The State of Minnesota has a 2 BILLION DOLLAR BUDGET SURPLUS. In addition it recently spent a BILLION DOLLARS to bail out an underfunded pension plan. And guess what, the opening of the new 1 BILLION DOLLAR Twins/Vikings stadium was posponed today due to the bridge collapse.

Its appears it is not a QUESTION OF RAISING TAXES!. It's a question of how you spend the money.

In addition I suggest you do some "research" and you might discover that those 70,000 bridges (out of 600,000 total bridges) are NOT in the same condition as the 35W bridge. Same catagory...yes...Same condition...no.

The State of Minnesota has a 2 BILLION DOLLAR BUDGET SURPLUS. In addition it recently spent a BILLION DOLLARS to bail out an underfunded pension plan. And guess what, the opening of the new 1 BILLION DOLLAR Twins/Vikings stadium was posponed today due to the bridge collapse.

Its appears it is not a QUESTION OF RAISING TAXES!. It's a question of how you spend the money.

In addition I suggest you do some "research" and you might discover that those 70,000 bridges (out of 600,000 total bridges) are NOT in the same condition as the 35W bridge. Same catagory(sic)...yes...Same condition...no.

From the website of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE):

Report Card for America's Infrastructure 2005

Congested highways, overflowing sewers and corroding bridges are constant reminders of the looming crisis that jeopardizes our nation's prosperity and our quality of life. With new grades for the first time since 2001, our nation's infrastructure has shown little to no improvement since receiving a collective D+ in 2001, with some areas sliding toward failing grades. The American Society of Civil Engineers' 2005 Report Card for America's Infrastructure assessed the same 12 infrastructure categories as in 2001, and added three new categories. Access the complete Report Card with details on each infrastructure category and state infrastructure information.

The good news is that America's bridges got a C grade, higher than any other category except solid waste. America's aviation, dams, drinking water, energy, hazardous waste, navigable waterways, public parks, rails, roads, schools, security, transit, and wastewater were all awarded lower grades.

ASCE estimates it will only take 9.4 billion a year for the next 20 years to eliminate all bridge deficiencies. And according to the American Society of Civil Engineers:

ASCE's 2005 Report Card for America's Infrastructure assessed the condition and capacity of our nation's public works with an overall grade of D. ASCE estimates that $1.6 trillion is needed over a five-year period to bring the nation's infrastructure to good condition. While long term solutions are needed, in the short term, small steps can be taken by the 110th Congress to improve our nation's failing infrastructure.

Read my lips....

http://www.asce.org/reportcard/2005/actionplan07.cfm

Edited by Michael Hogan

In addition I suggest you do some "research" and you might discover that those 70,000 bridges (out of 600,000 total bridges) are NOT in the same condition as the 35W bridge. Same catagory(sic)...yes...Same condition...no.

From the website of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE):

Report Card for America's Infrastructure 2005

Congested highways, overflowing sewers and corroding bridges are constant reminders of the looming crisis that jeopardizes our nation's prosperity and our quality of life. With new grades for the first time since 2001, our nation's infrastructure has shown little to no improvement since receiving a collective D+ in 2001, with some areas sliding toward failing grades. The American Society of Civil Engineers' 2005 Report Card for America's Infrastructure assessed the same 12 infrastructure categories as in 2001, and added three new categories. Access the complete Report Card with details on each infrastructure category and state infrastructure information.

The good news is that America's bridges got a C grade, higher than any other category except solid waste. America's aviation, dams, drinking water, energy, hazardous waste, navigable waterways, public parks, rails, roads, schools, security, transit, and wastewater were all awarded lower grades.

ASCE estimates it will only take 9.4 billion a year for the next 20 years to eliminate all bridge deficiencies. And according to the American Society of Civil Engineers:

ASCE's 2005 Report Card for America's Infrastructure assessed the condition and capacity of our nation's public works with an overall grade of D. ASCE estimates that $1.6 trillion is needed over a five-year period to bring the nation's infrastructure to good condition. While long term solutions are needed, in the short term, small steps can be taken by the 110th Congress to improve our nation's failing infrastructure.

Read my lips....

http://www.asce.org/reportcard/2005/actionplan07.cfm

Thats a funny one Hogan, you post the results of a "study' by the very group that stands to profit from the results of said 'study'. Good one! Does the infrastructure need some work? Well heck yea. Is it in dire need? I don't think so.

Is there EVER going to be a time when infrastructure will NOT need work? Nope.

I see public works projects all around me EVERY DAY. They are rebuilding the sewers iin my area right now, new bridges are being buit on the local section of interstate, we just finished a major rebuild of the library, and new downtown stadium/hotel complex is just starting, roads are being repaved and rebuilt all over the area...and on and on.

Gotta love the knee jerk reaction everytime something like this happens..and the result is always the same..more taxes, more money....its like a broken record.

The fact remains Minnesota had the capital to deal with this bridge....heck they were WORKING on the dang thing as it fell. This was not a money problem.

Thats a funny one Hogan, you post the results of a "study' by the very group that stands to profit from the results of said 'study'. Good one! Does the infrastructure need some work? Well heck yea. Is it in dire need? I don't think so.

I see public works projects all around me EVERY DAY. They are rebuilding the sewers iin my area right now, new bridges are being buit on the local section of interstate, we just finished a major rebuild of the library, and new downtown stadium/hotel complex is just starting, roads are being repaved and rebuilt all over the area...and on and on.

Gotta love the knee jerk reaction everytime something like this happens..and the result is always the same..more taxes, more money....its like a broken record.

The fact remains Minnesota had the capital to deal with this bridge....heck they were WORKING on the dang thing as it fell. This was not a money problem.

Transportation Infrastructure Failing the Nation, Says UPS CEO

HOUSTON, March 30, 2006 - Describing the nation's roads, ports, railroads and airports as the backbone of global trade, UPS's chief executive officer today warned that America was taking a chance with its future by neglecting its infrastructure.

Mike Eskew, United Parcel Service CEO:

"What's shocking, quite frankly, is the inability of our transportation infrastructure to keep up with the normal day-to-day stresses imposed upon it," said UPS CEO Mike Eskew. "Our highways, waterways, railroads and aviation networks are simply not keeping up with ordinary demands.

Eskew noted the problem is receiving some recognition outside the transportation industry, citing a report card issued last year by the American Society of Civil Engineers. "In 2005, here's what our infrastructure report card looked like: our aviation system got a D+; navigable waterways a D-; roads a D, and rails a C-."

"What does the overall report card on our national transportation infrastructure look like? Well, let's put it this way: if your kids brought home report cards like this, someone would be grounded."

Eskew, in addressing the Houston Forum here, said business leaders had to help Americans understand that their jobs and standard of living depend on a U.S. economy that today depends on global trade. People may not like to build new roads or add runways to airports, but the American economy risks stagnation without continued investment and infrastructure expansion, he said.

"Here's the deal: We can't wait on this," Eskew continued. "We need to move forward now."

Clearly, any solution will require "lots of money" and that's why it's also time "to target that money strategically using a holistic strategy," the chief executive urged.

"By holistic, I mean taking into account how all the air, ground and water-based systems work together and increasing the integration of all these different modes of transport. For example, all the port capacity in the world won't prevent bottlenecks if there isn't enough rail freight capacity on which to unload the ocean shipments."

UPS takes this type of holistic approach to its own network, operating an integrated system that combines the flows of air, ground, residential, commercial, domestic and international packages. The company also invests billions of dollars each year in technology to help customers coordinate the movement of goods and information.

Public and private entities must work together to solve the nation's infrastructure problem, Eskew said, adding one private business sector that particularly needs to step up is the rail sector. The nation's railroads are "under-investing" in advanced technologies available today that could improve the capacity and safety of their networks, he asserted.

The problem is not insurmountable, he added, but it's time "to sound the alarm."

"If we're going to take our rightful place as a nation in the world of trade, we must have the best infrastructure," Eskew concluded. "Are we willing to take the necessary steps today to ensure a vibrant economy tomorrow?

"Do we really have a choice?"

http://pressroom.ups.com/pressreleases/cur...88,4668,00.html

Transportation Infrastructure Failing the Nation, Says UPS CEO

HOUSTON, March 30, 2006 - Describing the nation's roads, ports, railroads and airports as the backbone of global trade, UPS's chief executive officer today warned that America was taking a chance with its future by neglecting its infrastructure.

Mike Eskew, United Parcel Service CEO:

"What's shocking, quite frankly, is the inability of our transportation infrastructure to keep up with the normal day-to-day stresses imposed upon it," said UPS CEO Mike Eskew. "Our highways, waterways, railroads and aviation networks are simply not keeping up with ordinary demands.

Eskew noted the problem is receiving some recognition outside the transportation industry, citing a report card issued last year by the American Society of Civil Engineers. "In 2005, here's what our infrastructure report card looked like: our aviation system got a D+; navigable waterways a D-; roads a D, and rails a C-."

"What does the overall report card on our national transportation infrastructure look like? Well, let's put it this way: if your kids brought home report cards like this, someone would be grounded."

Eskew, in addressing the Houston Forum here, said business leaders had to help Americans understand that their jobs and standard of living depend on a U.S. economy that today depends on global trade. People may not like to build new roads or add runways to airports, but the American economy risks stagnation without continued investment and infrastructure expansion, he said.

"Here's the deal: We can't wait on this," Eskew continued. "We need to move forward now."

Clearly, any solution will require "lots of money" and that's why it's also time "to target that money strategically using a holistic strategy," the chief executive urged.

"By holistic, I mean taking into account how all the air, ground and water-based systems work together and increasing the integration of all these different modes of transport. For example, all the port capacity in the world won't prevent bottlenecks if there isn't enough rail freight capacity on which to unload the ocean shipments."

UPS takes this type of holistic approach to its own network, operating an integrated system that combines the flows of air, ground, residential, commercial, domestic and international packages. The company also invests billions of dollars each year in technology to help customers coordinate the movement of goods and information.

Public and private entities must work together to solve the nation's infrastructure problem, Eskew said, adding one private business sector that particularly needs to step up is the rail sector. The nation's railroads are "under-investing" in advanced technologies available today that could improve the capacity and safety of their networks, he asserted.

The problem is not insurmountable, he added, but it's time "to sound the alarm."

"If we're going to take our rightful place as a nation in the world of trade, we must have the best infrastructure," Eskew concluded. "Are we willing to take the necessary steps today to ensure a vibrant economy tomorrow?

"Do we really have a choice?"

http://pressroom.ups.com/pressreleases/cur...88,4668,00.html

More of the same old crap Hogan, a statement by someone who PROFITS from said infrastructure. And note this telling quote:

"Eskew noted the problem is receiving some recognition outside the transportation industry, citing a report card issued last year by the American Society of Civil Engineers. "In 2005, here's what our infrastructure report card looked like: our aviation system got a D+; navigable waterways a D-; roads a D, and rails a C-."

ASCE AGAIN!

Thats a funny one Hogan, you post the results of a "study' by the very group that stands to profit from the results of said 'study'. Good one! Does the infrastructure need some work? Well heck yea. Is it in dire need? I don't think so...

...Gotta love the knee jerk reaction everytime something like this happens..and the result is always the same..more taxes, more money....its like a broken record.

From the New York Times:

States Across the Country Race to Inspect Bridges

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 3 — As recovery divers moved from car to car in the murky waters of the Mississippi River on Friday, state officials across the country raced to inspect bridges that are similar to the steel-deck truss bridge that collapsed here, killing at least five people.

One bridge, in Missouri, was closed indefinitely as a precaution. Elsewhere, bridge inspectors were told to cancel their vacations to conduct the emergency inspections and, in some cases, also re-examine bridges with designs unlike the fallen Interstate 35W bridge.

In Washington, the inspector general for the federal Transportation Department was ordered to review the National Bridge Inspection Program, which oversees bridges across the country, including more than 70,000 that have been found to be structurally deficient. Among other things, investigators are to examine whether the necessary repairs are being made to the deficient bridges.....

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/04/us/04bridge.html

Thats a funny one Hogan, you post the results of a "study' by the very group that stands to profit from the results of said 'study'. Good one! Does the infrastructure need some work? Well heck yea. Is it in dire need? I don't think so...

...Gotta love the knee jerk reaction everytime something like this happens..and the result is always the same..more taxes, more money....its like a broken record.

From the New York Times:

States Across the Country Race to Inspect Bridges

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 3 — As recovery divers moved from car to car in the murky waters of the Mississippi River on Friday, state officials across the country raced to inspect bridges that are similar to the steel-deck truss bridge that collapsed here, killing at least five people.

One bridge, in Missouri, was closed indefinitely as a precaution. Elsewhere, bridge inspectors were told to cancel their vacations to conduct the emergency inspections and, in some cases, also re-examine bridges with designs unlike the fallen Interstate 35W bridge.

In Washington, the inspector general for the federal Transportation Department was ordered to review the National Bridge Inspection Program, which oversees bridges across the country, including more than 70,000 that have been found to be structurally deficient. Among other things, investigators are to examine whether the necessary repairs are being made to the deficient bridges.....

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/04/us/04bridge.html

Blaming begins in Minneapolis bridge collapse

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - Politicians trying to account for one of the worst bridge collapses in U.S. history cast blame ranging from engineering faults to the Iraq war on Friday, while divers tried to reach the bodies of more victims in the Mississippi River's treacherous waters.

As investigators probed Wednesday's collapse that killed at least five people, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said outside experts would review the decisions of state engineers to shore up problems with the heavily-traveled 40-year-old bridge in central Minneapolis.

Engineers had decided to periodically inspect the steel superstructure beneath the Interstate 35W bridge and bolt on reinforcing plates where any flaws were found. But that work, which Pawlenty said fit in the state's budget, was postponed by resurfacing and repair work that was going on when the bridge buckled and fell

"Experts that we rely on, technical experts and engineers, made some decisions about what needed to be done. They thought they were making an appropriate decision for their reasons, and now those decisions will have to be reviewed," Pawlenty said. A private engineering firm had been hired for the review.

"The bridge was declared fit for service," he said. "There will be tough questions asked, including by me, and we will get to the bottom of this."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070803/ts_nm/bridge_collapse_dc

Engineers puzzle over bridge collapse

Engineers are trying to understand what caused the catastrophic collapse of the bridge over the Mississippi river in Minnesota.

Resurfacing work was taking place, but the bridge was last inspected in 2006 and no significant structural problems were found.

Such complete bridge collapses are a very rare occurrence.

If they happen, it is either because the load is too heavy, or the connections between the bridge's structural elements are too weak, Keith Eaton, chief executive of the UK's Institution of Structural Engineers, told the BBC.

"The engineers will have to see where the collapse started. Clearly a failure occurred somewhere which imbalanced the whole thing," he said.

Speculation that hot weather contributed to the accident by weakening the concrete or expanding the steel framework was not a likely explanation, he added, as modern bridges are built to cope with extremes.

A crack in the steel making up the bridge's structure was the most likely explanation for the disaster, he said.

Corrosion

The I-35W highway bridge (Bridge 9340) was built using a framework of rafters, posts and struts - a structure known as a truss bridge.

]In 2005, it was one of thousands across the US rated as "structurally deficient" on the federal National Bridge Inventory database.

It rated 50 on a scale of 100 for structural stability in that study, White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

About 140,000 cars are thought to have used the bridge every day, but a 2001 report by University of Minnesota's civil engineering department found traffic levels were below those the bridge was designed for.

See graphic of the bridge collapse

The report went on to express concerns that a single crack in the main truss could "theoretically" lead to the entire bridge's collapse.

However, it also said that even if there was a crack, the load could "theoretically" be redistributed along the steel trusses or the concrete deck of the bridge, keeping the bridge aloft.

It added that no fatigue cracking had occurred, and that the bridge "should not have any problems with fatigue cracking in the foreseeable future".

File photograph of the Minnesota bridge The bridge crossed the Mississippi River near downtown Minneapolis

The state need not "prematurely replace this bridge because of fatigue cracking, avoiding the high costs associated with such a large project".

The truss bridge was built in 1967, with eight lanes over a span of 581 meters (1,900ft). It had no piers in the water, allowing easy passage for river traffic.

While no longer the cutting edge of bridge design, truss bridges are relatively cheap to build, and were a very popular structural choice in the US in the 1960s and 1970s, Mr Eaton said.

They have a downside, however.

"They are made of lots of complex pieces of metal, interconnected bolts or rivets," Mr Eaton told the BBC.

"They have little corners between two pieces of steel where water can collect and cause corrosion."

Nesting pigeons could also be an issue.

"Their droppings are very corrosive, which can be a problem," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6927526.stm

Minn. bridge problems uncovered in 1990

MINNEAPOLIS - Minnesota officials were warned as early as 1990 that the bridge that collapsed into the Mississippi River was "structurally deficient," yet they relied on patchwork repairs and stepped-up inspections that unraveled amid a thunderous plunge of concrete and automobiles.

"We thought we had done all we could," state bridge engineer Dan Dorgan told reporters not far from the mangled remains of the span. "Obviously something went terribly wrong

snip...

In 1990, the federal government gave the I-35W bridge a rating of "structurally deficient," citing significant corrosion in its bearings. The bridge is one of about 77,000 bridges in that category nationwide, 1,160 in Minnesota alone.

The designation means some portions of the bridge needed to be scheduled for repair or replacement, and it was on a schedule for inspection every two years.

Dorgan said the bearings could not have been repaired without jacking up the entire deck of the bridge. Because the bearings were not sliding, inspectors concluded the corrosion was not a major issue.

During the 1990s, later inspections found fatigue cracks and corrosion in the steel around the bridge's joints. Those problems were repaired. Starting in 1993, the state said, the bridge was inspected annually instead of every other year.

A 2005 federal inspection also rated the bridge structurally deficient, giving it a 50 on a scale of 100 for structural stability.

White House press secretary Tony Snow said while the inspection didn't indicate the bridge was at risk of failing, "if an inspection report identifies deficiencies, the state is responsible for taking corrective actions."

Gov. Tim Pawlenty responded Thursday by ordering an immediate inspection of all bridges in the state with similar designs, but said the state was never warned that the bridge needed to be closed or immediately repaired.

"There was a view that the bridge was ultimately and eventually going to need to be replaced," he said. "But it appears from the information that we have available that a timeline for that was not immediate or imminent, but more in the future."

Federal officials alerted states to immediately inspect all bridges similar to the one that collapsed.

snip....

The collapsed bridge's last full inspection was completed June 15, 2006. The report shows previous inspectors' notations of fatigue cracks in the spans approaching the river, including one 4 feet long that was reinforced with bolted plates. A 1993 entry noted 3,000 feet of cracks in the surface of the bridge; they were later sealed.

That inspection and one a year earlier raised no immediate concerns about the bridge, which wasn't a candidate for replacement until 2020.

In a 2001 report from the University of Minnesota's Department of Civil Engineering, inspectors found some girders had become distorted. Engineers also saw evidence of fatigue on trusses and said the bridge might collapse if part of the truss gave way under the eight-lane freeway.

"A bridge of that vintage you always have to be concerned about that," said Richard Sause, director of the Advanced Technology for Large Structural Systems Center at Lehigh University. "In a steel bridge of that age, sure you'd be concerned about those kind of things and be diligent about looking after it. And it seems like they were."

It takes time for a fatigue crack to develop, but a crack can then expand rapidly to become a fracture, said James Garrett, co-director of the Center for Sensed Critical Infrastructure Research at Carnegie Mellon University. "If you get a crack that goes undetected it would be something that appears to happen more rapidly."

snip...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_...dge_collapse_60

Edited by Craig Lamson