The Education Forum

Mississippi Burning Mom

• 7 months later...

I'm very sad she has died, but so glad she lived to see some justice done!

May the rest of us live to see some justice on some other crimes.

Her son was one of the few who put their lives on the line for others.

We need more like that today. Even the battle for equal rights is far from over - and there are many other battles.

Goodman was aptly named.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/law_misc/feturMsA.htm

"After talking with Myrlie (Evers) and hearing her recount the tragic events of that night, it was driven home to me that there are some things that not only span races, that not only span people, but span time, as well. It may have been 25 years, but the hurt was still there - the lack of closure, the lack of justice was still there - everything I see with families of homicide victims that we handle was no different in that respect.

I'm very sad she has died, but so glad she lived to see some justice done!

May the rest of us live to see some justice on some other crimes.

Her son was one of the few who put their lives on the line for others.

We need more like that today. Even the battle for equal rights is far from over - and there are many other battles.

Goodman was aptly named.

What amazing people these civil rights activists were in the 1950s and 1960s. Andrew Goodman was one of those who could have gone through life enjoying the pleasures of his privileged upbringing. Instead he choose to risk his life to improve the conditions of those less fortunate than himself. While he joined the Congress on Racial Equality (CORE) others joined the Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) and campaigned for lower taxes for their parents and sending other people's children to fight in countries like Vietnam.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAgoodmanA.htm